Admission Procedures

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roxygal9

Admission Procedures

Postby roxygal9 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi I have followed this page all through my entire law school admission process, and it was very helpful, especially the personal statement forum! I had a question I am awaiting to hear from Stetson for acceptance I hope, and I am going to visit campus. Is it normal for a school to schedule a meeting with the Director of Admissions? I have a tour after that, but I wanted ot know if that was normal, and if not how should i approach this one hour scheduled meeting? Is this kind of like an interview? I appreciate any advice!

LSAT: 154
GPA: 3.7

voice of reason

Re: Admission Procedures

Postby voice of reason » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:08 am

If it's one-on-one with the admissions director, it is an interview. Ask questions, but do not ask any for which you could look up the answer on the school's web site. Have a 90 second answer for why you want to attend this specific school. Be able to explain why you want to be a lawyer.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:26 am

My friend had an interview scheduled (not Stetson), also found it odd. He was a pretty non-trad candidate, so he figured they just wanted to kick his tires. The dean offered him an acceptance on the spot.

If that's any indication, they're seriously interested, but might have some reservations. So try not to blow it! 8)

romanholiday

Postby romanholiday » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:35 am

Did you ask for an interview or did they request to speak with you?

I had a couple of interviews, but I was the one that requested them. One person I was speaking with even told me flat out she just wanted to get to know me better so that she could suggest some programs I might like.

(I did however print out a resume the night before "just in case." I am also, however, kind of neurotic hahaha :mrgreen: )

roxygal9

Postby roxygal9 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Wow thank you everyone for the replies! My instincts told me it was an interview. No I did not request the one on one, and I am a nontraditional student, as I served in the military for 6 years and recently got out.

All the advice is great, I certainly will formulate an answer of why I want to attend their law school, and why I want ot be a lawyer. I have a information security background in the military, no actual law background though my degree is in Criminology, and the Army pulled me from opportunities to get more into the legal realm.

Any advice on how I can incorporate my info. sec background into my interest in law is certainly welcome. I have always been interested in law in college I worked with different attorneys to see what they did, and attended numerous court cases. Then the Army decided not to capitalize on that experience and instead thrust me into a computer occupation, which I had to adapt to as an officer and a leader. I enjoyed it, and currently work in network security for the federal government, but I have wanted ot get back into the realm of law. I had to put some of my soldiers out of the service for breaking military law, and though I didnt enjoy them exiting (though they were guilty as charged!), I enjoyed the procedures, etc.

Again I appreciate all the feedback, I know Stetson is not a top rated law school, and thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

I do have an application in with U of Florida, but I know I probably only have a small chance of acceptance, but hey it is okay to dream!

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Interesting background. I think they probably want to make sure you aren't a no-personality military stiff. And, unless you told them in your PS that you didn't see combat, that you are okay in the head. (no offensive to our troops, but PTSD is very real)

roxygal9

Postby roxygal9 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Haha you are right about the no personality type in the military. Part of the reason I am no longer in, I had to much personality for the military at times. In my statement I talked about my leadership time, and how I matured. I was never in combat and definitely would have never gone there! But yea you are right PTSD is real, and I know many friends that have dealt with it. Thanks for the compliment on the background, I am sure they probably have some questions about it too. I hope they take me flying halfway across the country to visit their school as a sign that I am very interested, but I also got my undergrad there at the Univ. Of Tampa, not to far from there school.

After working in the fed. govt for a couple of years and I also had achilles surgery (injury sustained in the army), I feel phyically and mentally ready for this now. I had wanted to do it in the army, but the army is not geared towards putting officers through law school right now, they are interested in putting leaders on the ground over in Iraq and Afghan, and if I had stayed in that is where I would have been. Far cry from becoming an attorney I would say!

Quickquestion thanks, I appreciate your responses and time, it has been great advice, and I feel confident I will assuage any ideas they may have of me and my military background!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”