LSAC GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cyxdev17

LSAC GPA

Postby cyxdev17 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:28 pm

So I was told by my LSAT instructor (who I would think knows what he's talking about...) that your LSAC GPA is bumped up or down based on a number of factors, i.e. how good your school is, the strength of your department, and even the exact classes you took (as in, if you took a really hard class, your GPA would go up). I find this incredibly hard to believe, but since it came from someone who seems pretty authoritative, I'm not sure what to think. I thought the LSAC GPA just factored in A+'s, does something with F's, etc...but nothing THAT significant. Can someone clarify? Thanks!

booboo

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby booboo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Your instructor was wrong.

A quick perusal of LSAC guidelines should help clear this up for you.

This should help:

http://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/faqs-and- ... -lsdas.asp

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Either OP misunderstood the LSAT instructor or LSAT instructor works for Kaplan.

christine2013

Postby christine2013 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:36 pm

I am sorry but I have never heard that - and the LSAC GPA should not be subjective. I have heard/believe that the Admissions Committee that reviews your application will def take into account the school, major, rigor of classes - but it is not factored in mathematically into your LSAC GPA (that I know of)- maybe that is what your instructor meant.

Benvenuto10

Postby Benvenuto10 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:02 pm

I have heard of LSAC adjusting GPA's, however, only from international schools. From my understanding, it had something to do with credit hours and how the coursework translated. I am far from an expert on the subject though.

That being said, I do know of two people who attended undergraduate universities in Canada whose GPA's were reported on LSAC as less than there GPA reported on their transcripts.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Benvenuto10 wrote:I have heard of LSAC adjusting GPA's, however, only from international schools. From my understanding, it had something to do with credit hours and how the coursework translated. I am far from an expert on the subject though.

That being said, I do know of two people who attended undergraduate universities in Canada whose GPA's were reported on LSAC as less than there GPA reported on their transcripts.

LSAC count A- and B- as 3.66 and 2.66 while Canadian schools count them as 3.7 and 2.7.

On the other hand, an A+ and B+ is 4.33 and 3.33 while Canadian schools count them as 4.3 and 3.3.

So it all depends on how "lucky" he got with his grades.

cyxdev17

Postby cyxdev17 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:28 am

@ savesthedayajb, he does work for Kaplan!! Any specific reason you wrote that?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”