Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
poo
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 am

Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby poo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 am

Is 166 correct? Or could UVA Ed/ Georgetown part time put the lsat even lower (and of course assuming the rest of the application is solid)?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:10 am

There's no exact number. 166 is possible if you ED, higher is certainly much better.

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby BigA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:11 am

forgetting about Berkeley?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 am

poo wrote:Is 166 correct? Or could UVA Ed/ Georgetown part time put the lsat even lower (and of course assuming the rest of the application is solid)?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/coolhandluke10/jd

At least 1 one person made it in with a 3.94/162, but he's a VA resident. I'd say 25% LSAT would probably be the absolute minimum if you don't live in Virginia.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 am

3.95 from what kind of school?

poo
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby poo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:14 am

BigA wrote:forgetting about Berkeley?

Yeah and they are one of my top choices too.... Is it true they favor GPA over the lsat?

poo
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby poo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:24 am

blsingindisguise wrote:3.95 from what kind of school?



One you've probbaly never heard of... will that screw me?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:27 am

poo wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:3.95 from what kind of school?

One you've probbaly never heard of... will that screw me?

Totally doesn't matter (unless maybe if it's like University of Phoenix Online or something, in which case a few schools might blink, but even then probably not).

poo
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby poo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:30 am

vanwinkle wrote:
poo wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:3.95 from what kind of school?

One you've probbaly never heard of... will that screw me?

Totally doesn't matter (unless maybe if it's like University of Phoenix Online or something, in which case a few schools might blink, but even then probably not).


Good to hear... And yeah it's not that bad haha. We did send a few kids to UVA (which is what I'm hoping for) last year so it's not incredibly awful.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby najumobi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 am

poo wrote:Is 166 correct? Or could UVA Ed/ Georgetown part time put the lsat even lower (and of course assuming the rest of the application is solid)?

with a 3.95 gpa:
if you get a 167 you should be almost a lock to get into cornell. a 167 will make michigan, uva a target, and penn, duke, berkeley, georgetown a realistic reaches.
a 166 would make cornell, uva, and michigan realistic reaches, but anything lower than that would put even those schools out of reach since admissions has become more competitive with the increase in apps.

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby thechee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:55 am

edit
Last edited by thechee on Mon May 31, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 am

vanwinkle wrote:
poo wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:3.95 from what kind of school?

One you've probbaly never heard of... will that screw me?

Totally doesn't matter (unless maybe if it's like University of Phoenix Online or something, in which case a few schools might blink, but even then probably not).

I realize we could debate this all day, but I'm popping in to say the underlined just isn't true. I'm sorry. It's a myth that TLS likes to promote, but UG prestige definitely matters to a certain extent at the very top schools. There is no question about it.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby Unitas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:55 am

crackberry wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
poo wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:3.95 from what kind of school?

One you've probbaly never heard of... will that screw me?

Totally doesn't matter (unless maybe if it's like University of Phoenix Online or something, in which case a few schools might blink, but even then probably not).

I realize we could debate this all day, but I'm popping in to say the underlined just isn't true. I'm sorry. It's a myth that TLS likes to promote, but UG prestige definitely matters to a certain extent at the very top schools. There is no question about it.


+10,000 to crackberry.

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby hopefullaw27 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:10 am

crackberry wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
poo wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:3.95 from what kind of school?

One you've probbaly never heard of... will that screw me?

Totally doesn't matter (unless maybe if it's like University of Phoenix Online or something, in which case a few schools might blink, but even then probably not).

I realize we could debate this all day, but I'm popping in to say the underlined just isn't true. I'm sorry. It's a myth that TLS likes to promote, but UG prestige definitely matters to a certain extent at the very top schools. There is no question about it.


+1

my numbers could have swung my cycle in either way, but i came out on top..i think largely due to my undergrad

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 am

To be clear, I'm not arguing that a poor UG hurts an applicant; I'm arguing that a prestigious UG helps an applicant. I don't think a 175, 3.9 from a poor UG is screwed, but I think if we're talking about HYSChicago in particular, the 172, 3.9 from HYPS UG wins out over the 172, 3.9 from Nothing State every single time (excepting URM).

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby englawyer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:16 pm

crackberry wrote:To be clear, I'm not arguing that a poor UG hurts an applicant; I'm arguing that a prestigious UG helps an applicant. I don't think a 175, 3.9 from a poor UG is screwed, but I think if we're talking about HYSChicago in particular, the 172, 3.9 from HYPS UG wins out over the 172, 3.9 from Nothing State every single time (excepting URM).


even if 172/3.9 was a rhodes scholar? i am being a bit facetious but you get my point. it is a bonus but not an end all absolute.

Oblomov
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:16 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby Oblomov » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:23 pm

.
Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:24 pm

crackberry wrote:To be clear, I'm not arguing that a poor UG hurts an applicant; I'm arguing that a prestigious UG helps an applicant. I don't think a 175, 3.9 from a poor UG is screwed, but I think if we're talking about HYSChicago in particular, the 172, 3.9 from HYPS UG wins out over the 172, 3.9 from Nothing State every single time (excepting URM).


This.

I also think the importance of UG strength is magnified for reverse splitters.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Oblomov wrote:
crackberry wrote:To be clear, I'm not arguing that a poor UG hurts an applicant; I'm arguing that a prestigious UG helps an applicant. I don't think a 175, 3.9 from a poor UG is screwed, but I think if we're talking about HYSChicago in particular, the 172, 3.9 from HYPS UG wins out over the 172, 3.9 from Nothing State every single time (excepting URM).


I don't think anyone argues that. The question is, what it HYPS only had a 170?

That's a different argument. If we agree that 172, 3.9 HYPS beats 172, 3.9 Nothing State, though, that means UG prestige means something, no?

For the record, I think 170, 3.9 HYPS with a solid app is probably about = to 172, 3.9 Nothing State.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:31 pm

crackberry wrote:
Oblomov wrote:
crackberry wrote:To be clear, I'm not arguing that a poor UG hurts an applicant; I'm arguing that a prestigious UG helps an applicant. I don't think a 175, 3.9 from a poor UG is screwed, but I think if we're talking about HYSChicago in particular, the 172, 3.9 from HYPS UG wins out over the 172, 3.9 from Nothing State every single time (excepting URM).


I don't think anyone argues that. The question is, what it HYPS only had a 170?

That's a different argument. If we agree that 172, 3.9 HYPS beats 172, 3.9 Nothing State, though, that means UG prestige means something, no?

For the record, I think 170, 3.9 HYPS with a solid app is probably about = to 172, 3.9 Nothing State.


I think that's about right. I've looked into this a lot and the prestigious undergrad boost seems to be around 2 LSAT points. The thing to remember is that admissions is a zero-sum game, so if it's an advantage to those people, it's a disadvantage to people from non-prestigious undergrads. This seems especially true at schools like Yale and Stanford, where there are fewer applicants and fewer spots and almost every decent applicant is from a good school.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby englawyer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:35 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Oblomov wrote:
crackberry wrote:To be clear, I'm not arguing that a poor UG hurts an applicant; I'm arguing that a prestigious UG helps an applicant. I don't think a 175, 3.9 from a poor UG is screwed, but I think if we're talking about HYSChicago in particular, the 172, 3.9 from HYPS UG wins out over the 172, 3.9 from Nothing State every single time (excepting URM).


I don't think anyone argues that. The question is, what it HYPS only had a 170?

That's a different argument. If we agree that 172, 3.9 HYPS beats 172, 3.9 Nothing State, though, that means UG prestige means something, no?

For the record, I think 170, 3.9 HYPS with a solid app is probably about = to 172, 3.9 Nothing State.


I think that's about right. I've looked into this a lot and the prestigious undergrad boost seems to be around 2 LSAT points. The thing to remember is that admissions is a zero-sum game, so if it's an advantage to those people, it's a disadvantage to people from non-prestigious undergrads. This seems especially true at schools like Yale and Stanford, where there are fewer applicants and fewer spots and almost every decent applicant is from a good school.


+1 exactly. a boost for one subgroup is a minus for others

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 pm

englawyer wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:I think that's about right. I've looked into this a lot and the prestigious undergrad boost seems to be around 2 LSAT points. The thing to remember is that admissions is a zero-sum game, so if it's an advantage to those people, it's a disadvantage to people from non-prestigious undergrads. This seems especially true at schools like Yale and Stanford, where there are fewer applicants and fewer spots and almost every decent applicant is from a good school.


+1 exactly. a boost for one subgroup is a minus for others

Yeah, that's definitely right. I guess my point was more that, in a vacuum, 172, 3.9 from Nothing State is not getting frowned upon just because of the UG. But LS admissions are not in a vacuum.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:45 pm

crackberry wrote:
englawyer wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:I think that's about right. I've looked into this a lot and the prestigious undergrad boost seems to be around 2 LSAT points. The thing to remember is that admissions is a zero-sum game, so if it's an advantage to those people, it's a disadvantage to people from non-prestigious undergrads. This seems especially true at schools like Yale and Stanford, where there are fewer applicants and fewer spots and almost every decent applicant is from a good school.


+1 exactly. a boost for one subgroup is a minus for others

Yeah, that's definitely right. I guess my point was more that, in a vacuum, 172, 3.9 from Nothing State is not getting frowned upon just because of the UG. But LS admissions are not in a vacuum.


This boost really only appears at the very top schools, and at the very edges. If you notice extreme spiltters who have good cycles usually are at prestigious undergrads, or had difficult majors.

But I doubt the adcoms view it as HYP and then nothing else matters. I'm guessing going to a well know public would probably help a bit too. This would make going to a no name school a disadvantage.

But I just don't see this as a fact on LSN for most schools. HYS and only for people with a low GPA at Chicago and Penn.

I don't think a person should worry about it because the boost isn't very large, and is hard to quantify.

Oblomov
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:16 am

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby Oblomov » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 pm

.
Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Lowest lsat for t-14 with a 3.95?

Postby cavebat2000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 pm

poo wrote:Is 166 correct? Or could UVA Ed/ Georgetown part time put the lsat even lower (and of course assuming the rest of the application is solid)?


Don't get too high of an LSAT score or a bunch of schools will waitlist you. It's the giant donut hole of law school applications.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], whsy and 6 guests