Can you play division I sports if you still have eligibility Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Can you play division I sports if you still have eligibility

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Say you are good enough to make a division I sports team while in law school, are you eligible to play on that law school's undergraduate institution's div. I team if you still have eligible seasons left?

swimbrad

Bronze

Re: Can you play division I sports if you still have eligibility

Post by swimbrad » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

the long and short of it is yes

maine08080

New

Post by maine08080 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Although it's not necessarily a law school example, but grad student example: Greg Paulus

mhernton

Bronze

Post by mhernton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Long and short of it is that you're and idiot if you do...You're not allowed to work more than 20hrs a week while in law school, what makes you think you could keep up with the commitment to play at the D1 level?? IF your focus isn't totally on law school, you are wasting a lot of money, just to feed your ego. If you had a chance to move on and play something professionally, then why are you even considering law school??

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:25 pm

I feel like this is a valid question, and I'd be lying if I didnt admit I wanted to know the answer as well.

I would like to play college sports in law school just for fun/fitness/keeping me sane. Altough D1 might really hinder your 1L grades.

Are the rules different if its a D2 sport? Otherwise one can always participate in intramurials

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Yea, I was just curious. There's very little chance I would actually do this in my sport.

I played d1 for my first two years of undergrad but then I got injured and it took awhile to heal. Just always had that itch to get back in the game if you know what I a mean.

I could see joining a d1 rowing team though.
Last edited by DeSilentio2728 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 pm

I think that it'd be a lot of fun but I'm all outta eligibility... it's all about time management, having done d1 athletics you know what it takes

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Interesting question. Anyone know the rules on club sports? I hear that you have 4 years of eligibility but years spent playing varsity sports are used against you. This would leave me with 1 year of eligibility to play...and if I am eligible, I am going to do it. Does anyone know if this is true?

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Depends on the sport. Different national governing bodies (talking club here) have different rules.

As far as NCAA, unless you took a redshirt year, your timer started ticking once you walked onto your undergrad campus and hasn't stopped since.

NCAA Eligibility rules
14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted.
Last edited by StyrofoamWar on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:00 pm

renee15 wrote:Interesting question. Anyone know the rules on club sports? I hear that you have 4 years of eligibility but years spent playing varsity sports are used against you. This would leave me with 1 year of eligibility to play...and if I am eligible, I am going to do it. Does anyone know if this is true?
All I know is that you have 5 years of eligibility once you begin your first season in a sport. Obviously you can only play 4 years, but the 5 years of eligibility allows for an injury, red-shirt, etc.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:06 pm

there is also an age issue. you must be under 21 if you want to get all 4 years of eligibility when you start your sport. Some Israeli athletes run into this issue and must show that they were doing manadatory armed forces service to get their full three years.

Also, you must start w/in 5 years of started UG.

But here is the gospel.. from the NCAA the actual rules from the NCAA (LinkRemoved)

haole_20

New

Post by haole_20 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:07 pm

I played D1 ball in undergrad and I seriously doubt you would be able to keep up with your law classes when making that kind of time commitment to a sport. It was hard just keeping up with my undergrad classes. Of course every sport is different and each one has different levels of time commitment based on the numbers of games/matches played and the amount of travel.

facetious

Bronze

Post by facetious » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 pm

my only hope of being employed after law school:
http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2009/03 ... b/article/

but the above 5-year rule is the TCR. i am pretty sure d1 eligibility dries up once you graduate and didn't file for a red-shirt year. but this is just what i know from my d1 sport and a situation my teammate was in. nevertheless, i couldn't even imagine trying to keep up with 1L and playing d1 competitively.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdenquist

New

Post by jdenquist » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:06 am

Yes you can if you have eligiblity. However, you will not have time as a law student for both law school and a D-I team.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 pm

eberl032 wrote:I feel like this is a valid question, and I'd be lying if I didnt admit I wanted to know the answer as well.

I would like to play college sports in law school just for fun/fitness/keeping me sane. Altough D1 might really hinder your 1L grades.

Are the rules different if its a D2 sport? Otherwise one can always participate in intramurials
I'm not 100% of this, but my brother runs D1 track and he was having a conversation with his coach and he said something along the lines that unlike D1 where you have a 5 year window from enrollment to complete 4 years, in D2 your time in school and your athletic eligibility run separate. I'm assuming this would be the same for D3 as well. So, theoretically If someone who didn't play any collegiate sport in UG would have 4 years of eligibility left when they go to Law School. Also, if this is true, in my estimation playing a college sport at D2 or D3 and maintaining suitable grades in law school would be somewhat easier than playing one at the D1 level because usually the conferences in D2 and D3 have schools that are more less situated near one another more so than a D1 conference. For instance, the conference Washington and Lee play in, the Old Dominion Athletic Conference have all but one of their schools in VA, the other being in Greensboro NC. Where as my D1 UG institution in NC competes with schools like Fordham and the University of Rhode Island.

tmanthedman

New

Post by tmanthedman » Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 pm

I was actually considering doing this too so I could play a couple years of D1 golf, depending if I can make the time commitment.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Couldn't you just save your year of eligibility for 2L or 3L? Everyone always hops on people that bring this up, but we all talk about never having work/never doing work during the final two years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 pm

You can only play at a different school than you started at if you sit a year, or you graduate and the school you are at doesnt offer the program you want to do for grad school.

Since almost every D1 school at least has a shitty school, you probably won't be able to go to play in law school.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:Couldn't you just save your year of eligibility for 2L or 3L? Everyone always hops on people that bring this up, but we all talk about never having work/never doing work during the final two years.
This would seem to make the most sense, if OP is insistent on competing athletically. I personally think it's a horrible decision no matter when it's done; spend your time and energy doing something that will make you a more marketable legal professional.

...on second thought, OP playing D1 sports in law school = 1 less serious competitor. Knock yourself out, bro.

Watervest

New

Post by Watervest » Sun May 15, 2016 4:31 pm

the first law school student to play division 1 football was Bert Fortuna Jr. of drake university in Iowa. mr Fortuna grew up poor and worked towards a full ride scholarship that paid for his college and his first year of law school.

He has an amazing story of joining the usmc I. The 70s to pay for his education. Great man and a great story

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Sun May 15, 2016 4:42 pm

there was some notre dame lineman a few years back that went to law school in his 5 year of eligibility

edit it was chris stewart

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sun May 15, 2016 4:47 pm

You could definitely do this, especially if you're willing to skip classes for trips/practice/meetings/film/etc. You'd be an athlete first and a law student second, but let's be serious, law school isn't that hard. 5 years to play 4, so don't try to "save it" for 2L, doesn't work like that.

COWBOYS

New

Post by COWBOYS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:10 pm

My son is a Division 1 wrestler a 2018 NCAA ALL AMERICAN, he red shirted his 1st year and will graduate next May with his Bachelors in Criminal Justice in 3 years, he will still have two years of eligibility once he graduates May 2019 and will attend law school hopefully at the same University. The University said they are willing to help him with this endeavor. If grown adults with families and jobs can make it through law school so can athletes, if they are capable of managing their time accordingly. I believe my son is capable, why not get all the education you can as a student athlete, some comments were harsh calling someone an idiot for being able to do both. I don't get peoples attitude.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:40 pm

COWBOYS wrote:My son is a Division 1 wrestler a 2018 NCAA ALL AMERICAN, he red shirted his 1st year and will graduate next May with his Bachelors in Criminal Justice in 3 years, he will still have two years of eligibility once he graduates May 2019 and will attend law school hopefully at the same University. The University said they are willing to help him with this endeavor. If grown adults with families and jobs can make it through law school so can athletes, if they are capable of managing their time accordingly. I believe my son is capable, why not get all the education you can as a student athlete, some comments were harsh calling someone an idiot for being able to do both. I don't get peoples attitude.
OMG he should not do this, if he wants to get a legal job after law school. I was a DI wrestler as well (but not anywhere close to All-American...kudos to your son), and later went to law school with a family. These two conditions do not compare to each other at all.

Also, I don't know many people (anyone actually) who did well in law school with a family and a full-time job 1L year. He will graduate, its almost impossible to fail law school, but then finding a job is another story. There are a few schools I can think of that have good wrestling programs and good law schools (Northwestern, Cornell, Stanford, Penn), which may make it more possible to get a good job. But like, why do that?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:47 pm

COWBOYS wrote:My son is a Division 1 wrestler a 2018 NCAA ALL AMERICAN, he red shirted his 1st year and will graduate next May with his Bachelors in Criminal Justice in 3 years, he will still have two years of eligibility once he graduates May 2019 and will attend law school hopefully at the same University. The University said they are willing to help him with this endeavor. If grown adults with families and jobs can make it through law school so can athletes, if they are capable of managing their time accordingly. I believe my son is capable, why not get all the education you can as a student athlete, some comments were harsh calling someone an idiot for being able to do both. I don't get peoples attitude.
Does he get scholarship or financial aid? I can’t think of any point in continuing to wrestle while going to law school.
Maybe you don’t understand that law school is graded on a forced curve and that grades are essential to finding employment.Your son can’t just assume he will do well in law school because he works hard. He should be spending his time focused on school.

In the absence of good grades your son will need to get as much practical experience as possible, not focus on wrestling.

People with families and jobs do go to law school. That is a different situation than voluntarily taking part in a demanding sport. It may be possible for your son to do both, but how does it benefit him?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”