From reject to admit

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew the Wolverine

From reject to admit

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:04 pm

I got rejected from Wisconsin a few months ago, but I took the LSAT again, got a huge increase in score (161 to 170), and my rejection turned into an acceptance today after I appealed the decision. For all of those who say it's extremely difficult to appeal and turn around a rejection to an admission, there is hope yet!

msbeautifulbasham

Re: From reject to admit

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Woohoooo!!! Congrats!

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 pm

amazing! BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Wow! I knew it was theoretically possible, but I'd never actually heard of it happening before, unless the school had made a mistake on your application or something like that. Big congrats . . . I'm sure this is going to be TLS legend . . .

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:03 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Wow! I knew it was theoretically possible, but I'd never actually heard of it happening before, unless the school had made a mistake on your application or something like that. Big congrats . . . I'm sure this is going to be TLS legend . . .

I'm pretty sure there was no mistake the first time. My GPA sucks badly, so I wasn't expecting to be admitted originally. The LSAT increase made the difference.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:04 pm

While you definitely kicked some ass on the LSAT (congrats!), the method by which you appealed is not simply sending in a few letters after being rejected. What you did was incredible but totally out of the norm. Just wanted to put it into perspective.

So yeah, you can definitely appeal a rejection, but you've got to (at least in this case) bauss the LSAT

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:05 pm

161-170. Nice. Now you can reject them!

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Cale39 wrote:While you definitely kicked some ass on the LSAT (congrats!), the method by which you appealed is not simply sending in a few letters after being rejected. What you did was incredible but totally out of the norm. Just wanted to put it into perspective.

So yeah, you can definitely appeal a rejection, but you've got to (at least in this case) bauss the LSAT

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:09 pm

I am really happy for you, and this is an awesome story. But, what does this really say about the admissions process?!?

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Kakarot wrote:I am really happy for you, and this is an awesome story. But, what does this really say about the admissions process?!?

Thanks. I think it proves that it is largely a numbers game, which pretty much everyone knows. My softs didn't change at all, no new LORs, no more work experience, etc., just a new LSAT. I don't know if you were implying something worse about the admissions process, though...

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:36 pm

You can call it a numbers game, which may be true, but the fact that they like good numbers is probably largely due to the fact that a large # means you are a smart person and that is what they are looking for. They saw your new LSAT and said, "Shit this guy is smarter than we thought, lets let him in". Congratulations by the way! I assume since you went through the effort of appealing their decision that it is likely you will go there?

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
Cale39 wrote:While you definitely kicked some ass on the LSAT (congrats!), the method by which you appealed is not simply sending in a few letters after being rejected. What you did was incredible but totally out of the norm. Just wanted to put it into perspective.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Ahh, just didn't want people to use your unique situation as fodder for "hey, if you're rejected, it's not a problem, tons of people get in on appeal"

I'm on this mailing list for "For People of Color" a student advocacy org for URMs (im asian, so not exactly URM) and the advice they give students is ridiculous.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:40 pm

adameus wrote:You can call it a numbers game, which may be true, but the fact that they like good numbers is probably largely due to the fact that a large # means you are a smart person and that is what they are looking for. They saw your new LSAT and said, "Shit this guy is smarter than we thought, lets let him in". Congratulations by the way! I assume since you went through the effort of appealing their decision that it is likely you will go there?

Actually, I have no idea what my chances are of going there because I have applied to 22 schools and I was rejected from 11 of them, and I appealed all of them. I figured that an appeal is free, except for the few minutes spent sending the email, so appealing all of them was worth a shot. I don't know if that goes against some sort of protocol, but that's what I did.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 pm

adameus wrote:You can call it a numbers game, which may be true, but the fact that they like good numbers is probably largely due to the fact that a large # means you are a smart person and that is what they are looking for. They saw your new LSAT and said, "Shit this guy is smarter than we thought, lets let him in". Congratulations by the way! I assume since you went through the effort of appealing their decision that it is likely you will go there?

Actually, I have no idea what my chances are of going there because I have applied to 22 schools and I was rejected from 11 of them, and I appealed all of them. I figured that an appeal is free, except for the few minutes spent sending the email, so appealing all of them was worth a shot. I don't know if that goes against some sort of protocol, but that's what I did.

Well I hope you get more overturns of your rejections!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:50 pm

To be honest, you are now my TLS hero.. This is amazing and you need to keep us updated.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Kakarot wrote:

To be honest, you are now my TLS hero.. This is amazing and you need to keep us updated.

Lol thanks, I'll keep posting whatever decisions I get. Now if I can turn my UVa rejection into an admission (i'd guess less than 1% chance of that happening), that would be a turnaround of biblical proportions

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 am

SECOND REJECTION-TO-ADMISSION FROM APPEAL!!! This morning George Mason called to let me know I got in, after they originally rejected me!! JUST OUTSIDE DC BABY!! WOOOOO!!

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 am

Congrats!! Great story and amazing LSAT improvement. I admire your tenacity.

I appealed my rejections at NYU and HLS because I got a 174 on my February LSAT after applying with an earlier 165. NYU is reconsidering but won't let me know until all other decisions are made, which they estimate as late May, and HLS has not responded and I don't expect them to. Its true that the actual appeal takes a few minutes and some guts and might seriously change your options.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:45 am

chutzpah wrote:Congrats!! Great story and amazing LSAT improvement. I admire your tenacity.

I appealed my rejections at NYU and HLS because I got a 174 on my February LSAT after applying with an earlier 165. NYU is reconsidering but won't let me know until all other decisions are made, which they estimate as late May, and HLS has not responded and I don't expect them to. Its true that the actual appeal takes a few minutes and some guts and might seriously change your options.

I actually didn't think I had any guts to do it. I pretty much sent the same short email to all the schools where I was rejected, and that was it, and I just waited. I'm sure glad I did, because a bunch of free emails may have just opened up half a dozen new options to me.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am

Hah. That is an amazing score increase, congratulations! Are you going to stick with Wisconsin or try for something even better?

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:50 am

kurla88 wrote:Hah. That is an amazing score increase, congratulations! Are you going to stick with Wisconsin or try for something even better?

Well I have George Mason ranked above Wisconsin in my own personal rankings, but I still have 15 schools left to hear from, so I'm just going to wait it out. I'm just glad to have options, because with my last LSAT i would likely only have had 1 option (Iowa). Iowa is great, but I didn't want to only have 1 school to pick from.

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Congratulations, Wolverine. Rising from the dead is quite the party trick. Extremely impressive. Turning two rejects to admits is the stuff that dreams--nay, legends!--are made of.

--ImageRemoved--

EDIT: Since when is Facebook not my personal web hosting service?! *grumble*
Last edited by bigchris1313 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:Congratulations, Wolverine. Rising from the dead is quite the party trick. Extremely impressive. Turning two rejects to admits is the stuff that dreams--nay, legends!--are made of.

--ImageRemoved--

big ups for the Halo reference.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:14 pm

acdisagod wrote:
bigchris1313 wrote:Congratulations, Wolverine. Rising from the dead is quite the party trick. Extremely impressive. Turning two rejects to admits is the stuff that dreams--nay, legends!--are made of.

--ImageRemoved--

big ups for the Halo reference.

I played Halo once in college, and I died a lot...

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Well...I tried that with Georgetown. I had an increase to 169(Dec.) from a 164. They have totally ignored me. Blah!!!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”