Attractiveness and Legal Employment

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby rando » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:42 pm

--LinkRemoved--

If firms are ugly discriminatory, should law schools be too? (pictures w/ apps; mandatory interviews?) A big factor in rankings is reputation. What's better for reputation than hotties?

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:13 pm

us news will track avg gpa, avg LSAT, and avg hotness (1-10).


avg hotness will be determined by submitting the applicants photos to hot-or-not and tallied appropriately. 25th - 75th percentiles must be reported :P

Grownup
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby Grownup » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Looks like I may have to go to Cumberland after all :(

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby missvik218 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:36 pm

englawyer wrote:us news will track avg gpa, avg LSAT, and avg hotness (1-10).

avg hotness will be determined by submitting the applicants photos to hot-or-not and tallied appropriately. 25th - 75th percentiles must be reported :P

:lol: at least it would provide some data to argue over in these viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87475 types of threads

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Great, even more ways to discriminate against Asians :roll:

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby eandy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Great, even more ways to discriminate against Asians :roll:

Who says Asians aren't hot?


Reading this article the other day made me hope that I'm hot by law standards.

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby beesknees » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 pm

.
Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kinch
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby kinch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Great, even more ways to discriminate against Asians :roll:

You're an idiot.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 pm

for another superficial tidbit in the law world...

men who have family and kids = bonus within the law firm. congrats etc...viewed favorably.
single men = kind of strange, better to have family and kids

women who have family and kids = shunned, obviously will put family first and lose ambition, less able to perform, etc.
single woman = tough, career minded. can be treated the same as a man because she won't be pulled in many directions.

this is from some sociological study i believe, my gf told me earlier today :?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:36 pm

I hope firms are like everyone else were men are held to a lower standard. Cause I'm ugly.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:36 pm

eandy wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Great, even more ways to discriminate against Asians :roll:

Who says Asians aren't hot?

Reading this article the other day made me hope that I'm hot by law standards.


Asian female: +1
Asian male: -1

STBY
Last edited by rayiner on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

You mean you guys didn't send in a glossy 8x10 in lieu of an application to your law schools also? I think the soft lighting in my picture really set me apart.

User avatar
jack duluoz
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm ok with this because I'm pretty good looking.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:52 pm

kinch wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Great, even more ways to discriminate against Asians :roll:

You're an idiot.


lol, I love it when people take things so seriously online.

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby Herb Watchfell » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:53 pm

jack duluoz wrote:I'm ok with this because I'm pretty good looking.


Pics or it didn't happen

kilgore_trout
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:58 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby kilgore_trout » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 pm

I think there really is strong correlation between attractiveness and success (i.e. salary)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/sports/playmagazine/0914play-FBALL-QBS.html

This is an older article (2008) and not even remotely in-depth, but basically, the better looking the NFL quarterback, the more he'll likely make. Probably rings true in the realm of legal employment.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby rando » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:19 am

kilgore_trout wrote:I think there really is strong correlation between attractiveness and success (i.e. salary)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/sports/playmagazine/0914play-FBALL-QBS.html

This is an older article (2008) and not even remotely in-depth, but basically, the better looking the NFL quarterback, the more he'll likely make. Probably rings true in the realm of legal employment.


But then again, that quarterback is selling tickets and getting women to watch on TV. We would hope that a client wouldn't choose a firm/or lawyer based on their attractiveness. But then again, its nice to be working long hours with an attractive partner.

User avatar
youpiiz
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby youpiiz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 am

seems to be an appropriate thread to re-re-use this pic.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby CG614 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 am

englawyer wrote:for another superficial tidbit in the law world...

men who have family and kids = bonus within the law firm. congrats etc...viewed favorably.
single men = kind of strange, better to have family and kids

women who have family and kids = shunned, obviously will put family first and lose ambition, less able to perform, etc.
single woman = tough, career minded. can be treated the same as a man because she won't be pulled in many directions.

this is from some sociological study i believe, my gf told me earlier today :?


Sounds like she wants you to propose.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby moandersen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 am

rayiner wrote:
eandy wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Great, even more ways to discriminate against Asians :roll:

Who says Asians aren't hot?

Reading this article the other day made me hope that I'm hot by law standards.


Asian female: +1
Asian male: -1

STBY


Haha. This thread is awesome. :lol:

White boys love them tiny asian girls for some reason. As a product of a caucasian father and asian mother, i would have to say:

half asian > full asian

most asians arent 'hot' but halfies tend to be. (see: kristin kruek)

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 am

For men, there's this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... pular.html

I should stop for pizza on my way home from work...

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

No joke, I almost wrote my personal statement about being ugly. Then I decided against it because it seemed whiny. But, it is unfair how my super cute friends get so many more opportunities than me when they aren't any smarter.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:58 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:No joke, I almost wrote my personal statement about being ugly. Then I decided against it because it seemed whiny. But, it is unfair how my super cute friends get so many more opportunities than me when they aren't any smarter.


Whats wrong with that?

They have to try to be beautiful, you were born smart.

To me, it seems unfair that people born smart get all the opportunities.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:No joke, I almost wrote my personal statement about being ugly. Then I decided against it because it seemed whiny. But, it is unfair how my super cute friends get so many more opportunities than me when they aren't any smarter.


Whats wrong with that?

They have to try to be beautiful, you were born smart.

To me, it seems unfair that people born smart get all the opportunities.

They don't have to try to be cute. My one friend hardly takes care of herself. Her sense of style is dreadful. I, as an ugly person, probably take way better care of myself.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Attractiveness and Legal Employment

Postby rando » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
To me, it seems unfair that people born smart get all the opportunities.


Maybe its not about fairness but running a business. but then again, running a business is all about making clients happy. who want to work with hotties. it sure would be helpful if they were smart...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: batlaw, Bing [Bot], carlos_danger, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests