Accepted Full Time...Switch to PT for $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kickincane21

Accepted Full Time...Switch to PT for $$

Postby kickincane21 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10 am

So now that my cycle is over as far as knowing where I've been accepted/rejected/WL unless scholarship negotiations go great I only have one real option at this point. On a side note most schools I've tried negotiating with have said they may add more scholarship money after the seat deposit deadline...this however means I too have to send in a seat deposit and I cant afford the school without the additional scholarship and some seat deposits are like $500-$900.

Anyway...I was wondering...if I was accepted to a schools full time program with little or no scholarship....do you think if I asked them now to be looked at for their PT program which probably has lower admissions standards that I would be offered a greater scholarship since I would be even better qualified for that program. This way the program would be cheaper, and I could work so that would help even more with expenses. Just a thought.

kickincane21

Re: Accepted Full Time...Switch to PT for $$

Postby kickincane21 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:58 pm

...45 views and no answers....anyone have any idea? I'm sure someone out there has switched from FT to PT, were you offered more money? Do they offer you the same either way since tuition is cheaper for part time?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:00 pm

i honestly have no idea but my guess would be that this is a question best directed to the school itself. i don't know how it could hurt considering you're already in. but this is only my intuition with your question. i'm unsure.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 pm

No. I applied to a lot of PT programs. In one scenario, I requested that my admission to a school be moved from FT to PT so I could continue to work. My scholarship package was proportionally reduced according to the reduction in tuition per year, such that it added to the same amount if distributed over four years as it originally covered over three.

US News fully factors in PT student numbers into overall ranking now, so having you switch to PT does nothing to bolster the school's rankings.

That being said, why are you asking us? Call the school's financial aid department and they'll tell you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”