character and fitness

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tomohiro7

character and fitness

Postby tomohiro7 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 am

I'm a student of Canadian citizenry and will study at law school in America from September this year.

I understand that the board of bar examiners in your state will run an in-depth background investigation into your file; I guess that they'll ask the Canadian authorities about my criminal history records, employment records, court records, credit records, and etc.

I also have experiencing living in a country (Japan) outside Canada or the United States for five years and was employed on a full time basis. Will the board of bar examiners contact the Japanese authorities including the court and prosecutors' office for all of my records?

CyLaw

Re: character and fitness

Postby CyLaw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:42 am

tomohiro7 wrote:I'm a student of Canadian citizenry and will study at law school in America from September this year.

I understand that the board of bar examiners in your state will run an in-depth background investigation into your file; I guess that they'll ask the Canadian authorities about my criminal history records, employment records, court records, credit records, and etc.

I also have experiencing living in a country (Japan) outside Canada or the United States for five years and was employed on a full time basis. Will the board of bar examiners contact the Japanese authorities including the court and prosecutors' office for all of my records?

I would say that it is likely they will try to get the data if possible. You best bet would be to contact the Bar at the state you want to be licensed in and ask them.

You don't have an INTERPOL or ICC warrant out on you, do you?

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:43 am

Just tell the truth....

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:51 am

Are you worried about them being able to do it at all and being a logistical pain, or are you worried about being severely undesireable & hoping they can't get it?

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Did you get caught with a ladyboy?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 pm

did u murder someone?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:02 pm

If you have some sort of INTERPOL warrant out on you (if they do, it's probably some kind of serious felony and if it was a misdemeanor, interpol would probably not pursue a warrant), I think you have more things to worry about than the bar. :mrgreen:

I'm also under the impression that INTERPOL can't actually arrest anyone.

I think you'll be fine if you were good enough for the INS (INS runs background checks on you too when you apply for a visa-at least I think).

Last bumped by tomohiro7 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:02 pm.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”