Real difference between T2 75-10 and T3? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bulletreverb

New

Real difference between T2 75-10 and T3?

Post by bulletreverb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Is a school ranked between 75-100 really that much better than a T3? Especially with a scholly at the T3 and sticker at the T2. This could potentially sway me.. however it would be nice to actually hear back from the schools first :?

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Re: Real difference between T2 75-10 and T3?

Post by Mr. Pablo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:27 pm

I would imagine that the difference between the T2 and the T3 would really depend on the market.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:30 pm

None.

The rankings are:

T3>T6>T10>T14>T30>Regional Manager for McDonalds>Most other ABA approved Law Schools>Katherine Gibbs Typing Classes>Non-Hamburger College Graduate employee of McDonald's>NYC Area Law schools that aren't T14 or Fordham

In sum.. Outside of the T30... rankings mean nothing. People will argue this point, but those people don't know what they are talking about.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:01 pm

reasonable_man wrote:None.

The rankings are:

T3>T6>T10>T14>T30>Regional Manager for McDonalds>Most other ABA approved Law Schools>Katherine Gibbs Typing Classes>Non-Hamburger College Graduate employee of McDonald's>NYC Area Law schools that aren't T14 or Fordham

In sum.. Outside of the T30... rankings mean nothing. People will argue this point, but those people don't know what they are talking about.

It's comments like this that give this board a bad reputation. :roll:

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:05 pm

regional schools are regional.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:13 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:

The rankings are:

Indeed. Such comments make it sound like if you go to a school ranked from 31-50 you're just as screwed as if you go to Cooley. There are strong regional schools in the T31-50 and there are perfectly decent regional schools in Tier 2.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:22 pm

OneKnight wrote:

The rankings are:

Indeed. Such comments make it sound like if you go to a school ranked from 31-50 you're just as screwed as if you go to Cooley. There are strong regional schools in the T31-50 and there are perfectly decent regional schools in Tier 2.
I think that comment was meant more as a broad generalization on what is otherwise a truism. As you move down the rankings, the difference between a school ranked higher than another means less. Though you aren't necessarily screwed if you go to a T50, you shouldn't base your decision on schools based as much on rankings as you otherwise would for the higher ranked schools. For instance, don't choose Florida St. over Ga. St. if you want to practice in Atlanta. And more than anything you should base your decision on scholarship $.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 pm

The rankings are:

You can kiss my ass. Or you can try to prove me wrong. Either way, I win. But first, expand upon your vast experience for which you will predicate your brilliant come-back.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:43 pm

The rankings are:

I'd take it potentially a step further. Outside of the T14, ranking means very little. There may be more prestige in a T30 school than a T2, but outside of the top, all law schools are regional. Mostly, T30 schools just have a bigger region than a T2 school. Rankings only begin to matter again when you get to Cooley, Florida Coastal, People's College of Law, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm

manbearwig wrote:

The rankings are:

I'd take it potentially a step further. Outside of the T14, ranking means very little. There may be more prestige in a T30 school than a T2, but outside of the top, all law schools are regional. Mostly, T30 schools just have a bigger region than a T2 school. Rankings only begin to matter again when you get to Cooley, Florida Coastal, People's College of Law, etc.
This is just false. Iowa, for example, has a small region and whoops the shit out of Cooley or even Depaul, Kent, etc. There are tons of similar examples: Ohio, Indiana, etc.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

The rankings are:

This is just false. Iowa, for example, has a small region and whoops the shit out of Cooley or even Depaul, Kent, etc. There are tons of similar examples: Ohio, Indiana, etc.
Not quite sure what you're arguing. By region, I meant sphere of influence with jobs. So, yes, Iowa, a T30, would have a larger sphere of interest.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 pm

manbearwig wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

The rankings are:

Not quite sure what you're arguing. By region, I meant sphere of influence with jobs. So, yes, Iowa, a T30, would have a larger sphere of interest.
Considering there are many schools outside the T14 that place nationally, this argument fails. Unless of course you are just expanding your "sphere of influence" to the entire country. In which case, none of these distinctions are important.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:29 pm

manbearwig wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

The rankings are:

This is awfully circular. The reason they have a big "sphere of influence" is because they're good schools. Iowa grads can go to Chicago, because they go to a good school. Drake grads can't.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 pm

manbearwig wrote:

The rankings are:

But Cooley is ranked higher than Penn, Chicago, Berkeley....

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 pm

manbearwig wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

The rankings are:

I would venture a guess that these schools with larger "spheres of influence" also have more influence compared to their lower ranked neighbors in the same region.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:38 pm

rando wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
manbearwig wrote:I'd take it potentially a step further. Outside of the T14, ranking means very little. There may be more prestige in a T30 school than a T2, but outside of the top, all law schools are regional. Mostly, T30 schools just have a bigger region than a T2 school. Rankings only begin to matter again when you get to Cooley, Florida Coastal, People's College of Law, etc.
Considering there are many schools outside the T14 that place nationally, this argument fails. Unless of course you are just expanding your "sphere of influence" to the entire country. In which case, none of these distinctions are important.
It seems that we'll need to agree to disagree. I believe that, for the most part, outside of the top schools, it will be much harder to find a job anywhere in the country when you're going up against a strong regional school. Schools may place nationally, but it can't be easy, especially in areas where there are already strong schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 pm

I bet everyone here is a 0L banking on a T14 acceptance. Ridiculous. You can get a good job coming from outside the T30 and even from, gasp, a TT. I just wouldn't put myself in substantial debt if it wasn't T30, hell probably T14.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:51 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I bet everyone here is a 0L banking on a T14 acceptance. Ridiculous. You can get a good job coming from outside the T30 and even from, gasp, a TT. I just wouldn't put myself in substantial debt if it wasn't T30, hell probably T14.
Lol, not here. Regional T2 all the way (with a substantial merit package, of course). :D

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 pm

manbearwig wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:I bet everyone here is a 0L banking on a T14 acceptance. Ridiculous. You can get a good job coming from outside the T30 and even from, gasp, a TT. I just wouldn't put myself in substantial debt if it wasn't T30, hell probably T14.
Lol, not here. Regional T2 all the way (with a substantial merit package, of course). :D
+1.

I put their money where my mouth is, and turned down a T20 as well.

From all the advice I've gotten via real lawyers, T2 / T3 and T4 limit your ability to move around the country (and some other things too, like realistic hope of joining SCOTUS / academia) but it's not as though you show up to get sworn in and are laughed at.

If you know (more or less) what you want to do, and where you want to do it, and what you want to do isn't on a short 'elite school required' list, chances are you'll be just fine if you hustle and are any good at actually being an attorney.

That said, the "Real difference" seems to come in interviewing if schools from multiple tiers are located in the same place. After that, work product rules.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:37 pm

2L at a T20, turned down two T14s for a full ride. Interviewed on both coasts and in between.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:38 pm

I mean I'm not a 0L, I'm only a practicing lawyer, so I don't REALLY know about things like the real world or how law schools are actually viewed by actual practicing lawyers like a brilliant 0L... But from my oh so limited perspective, I can tell you, my above assessment is pretty fucking close to spot on. Sorry to hurt feelings, but that's just the way it is.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 am

reasonable_man wrote:I mean I'm not a 0L, I'm only a practicing lawyer, so I don't REALLY know about things like the real world or how law schools are actually viewed by actual practicing lawyers like a brilliant 0L... But from my oh so limited perspective, I can tell you, my above assessment is pretty fucking close to spot on. Sorry to hurt feelings, but that's just the way it is.
How rude.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:30 am

thinkbig wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I mean I'm not a 0L, I'm only a practicing lawyer, so I don't REALLY know about things like the real world or how law schools are actually viewed by actual practicing lawyers like a brilliant 0L... But from my oh so limited perspective, I can tell you, my above assessment is pretty fucking close to spot on. Sorry to hurt feelings, but that's just the way it is.
How rude.
Or pathetic, a practicing lawyer spending his free time on a pre-law/law student board.....how sad.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 am

PoliticalJunkie wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
How rude.
Or pathetic, a practicing lawyer spending his free time on a pre-law/law student board.....how sad.
Whether his assessment is right or wrong, he is a practicing lawyer helping out law and pre-law students. He does not have to do this and it would be wise of you to appreciate that fact before launching into a personal attack.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”