need LSAT/UGPA defying stories

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
1sixtytwo

need LSAT/UGPA defying stories

Postby 1sixtytwo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:15 pm

need people with strong soft factors to post their triumphant stories please!
Last edited by 1sixtytwo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z3RO

Re: need LSAT/UGAP defying stories

Postby Z3RO » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 pm

I have the opposite. I'm a high LSAT splitter who is two rejections from being shut out.

I didn't work in college, and was in 0 extracurricular groups. My summer jobs were house painting and fast food.

People will tell you that the LSAT means everything, but I can tell you for a fact brother that it does not.

Nicholasnickynic

Re: need LSAT/UGPA defying stories

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Z3RO wrote:I have the opposite. I'm a high LSAT splitter who is two rejections from being shut out.

I didn't work in college, and was in 0 extracurricular groups. My summer jobs were house painting and fast food.

People will tell you that the LSAT means everything, but I can tell you for a fact brother that it does not.

How bad is your gpa?

I was in no noteworthy groups, didn't work at all in college and ended up with a lsdas gpa of 3.06. Paired with a 165, I've been offered multiple t1 schollies. Maybe you did something wrong?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I have the opposite. I'm a high LSAT splitter who is two rejections from being shut out.

How bad is your gpa?

I was in no noteworthy groups, didn't work at all in college and ended up with a lsdas gpa of 3.06. Paired with a 165, I've been offered multiple t1 schollies. Maybe you did something wrong?

It's possible 3.46 but I only applied to t14, and I did it in early Dec.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 pm

I can think of better uses of your time than reading responses in this thread.

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

How bad is your gpa?

well there's your problem right there son.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

How bad is your gpa?

Unless you scored a 180 on your LSAT, you have to be incredibly arrogant (or stupid) to only apply to T-14 without any real safeties.

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

How bad is your gpa?

What was your LSAT?

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 pm

whitman wrote:
Z3RO wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

How bad is your gpa?

What was your LSAT?

this

romothesavior

Re: need LSAT/UGAP defying stories

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 pm

I have never heard anyone say LSAT means everything. LSAT is more important than GPA, sure, but LSAT does not mean everything. You have to at least have a respectable GPA to get into T14, unless you have an absolutely killer LSAT.

The way I've kinda looked at it is that GPA probably won't get you into a school, but it can certainly hold you back. Looks like that's what happened in your case. Sorry, man. What was your LSAT?

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 pm

1sixtytwo wrote:need people with strong soft factors to post their triumphant stories please!

In at WUSTL, last year, with 153-157 LSAT and 3.7-3.9 GPA (non-URM). Don't want to publicly post the precise numbers. Don't really want to post all of the soft factors, either. But I do think there is a whole LOT to be said of the way you come across in your resume and PS organization, as well as your overall application demeanor.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:05 pm

pollaclc wrote:

this

He claims a 177 in another thread. I'd say he has something on his app out of place if he indeed has a 177 and 3.46. Or maybe he only applied to HYS.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
Unless you scored a 180 on your LSAT, you have to be incredibly arrogant (or stupid) to only apply to T-14 without any real safeties.

Not true.

<-- Was confident that even with a weak GPA I'd be fine. And if I wasn't I'd do something other than LS for a year.

chanchito

Postby chanchito » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:49 am

I only applied to T14 and I didn't have a 180 at all haha. I figured that if I went down lower than that it wasn't worth it to go to law school. Well no need to worry, I made it fine :)

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 am

chanchito wrote:I only applied to T14 and I didn't have a 180 at all haha. I figured that if I went down lower than that it wasn't worth it to go to law school. Well no need to worry, I made it fine :)

Numbers/Softs/schools that admitted you?

chanchito

Postby chanchito » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:10 am

high 160s and 3.9+ and from an Ivy
not URM
When i applied it seemed only rational to go for T14, never thought I was taking a risk until someone said so, but by then I already got into NYU :)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:10 am

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 am

chanchito wrote:high 160s and 3.9+ and from an Ivy
not URM
When i applied it seemed only rational to go for T14, never thought I was taking a risk until someone said so, but by then I already got into NYU :)

Wow congratulations!

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:43 pm

I had a 180. Not sure what was wrong with my app. I had several profs (and adviser) read my PS. I tried fudging my numbers earlier in the cycle, but I've lost hope at this point and don't really care if I'm identified. Like the other poster said, I didn't think sub T14 was worth attending, and I thought I'd definitely get in to NYU with my LSAT.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Z3RO wrote:I had a 180. Not sure what was wrong with my app. I had several profs (and adviser) read my PS. I tried fudging my numbers earlier in the cycle, but I've lost hope at this point and don't really care if I'm identified. Like the other poster said, I didn't think sub T14 was worth attending, and I thought I'd definitely get in to NYU with my LSAT.

Wait, so you had a 180 and a 3.46 and December submissions and didn't crack the T14?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 pm

TheSharklord wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:

Not true.

<-- Was confident that even with a weak GPA I'd be fine. And if I wasn't I'd do something other than LS for a year.

So, you were "confident" that you would crack the T-14 with a weak GPA, you (imply that you) did not score 180 on the LSAT, therefore you were not arrogant or stupid for only applying there?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I had a 180. Not sure what was wrong with my app. I had several profs (and adviser) read my PS. I tried fudging my numbers earlier in the cycle, but I've lost hope at this point and don't really care if I'm identified. Like the other poster said, I didn't think sub T14 was worth attending, and I thought I'd definitely get in to NYU with my LSAT.

Wait, so you had a 180 and a 3.46 and December submissions and didn't crack the T14?

That's right. I'm Held at Columbia, on three other wait lists, and haven't heard from NYU...

I guess there's always next year.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

That's right. I'm Held at Columbia, on three other wait lists, and haven't heard from NYU...

I guess there's always next year.

Did you blanket the T14 or just apply to a select number of schools?

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 am

had to have applied to a select few, according to LSN there are many ppl with both lower lsat and gpa that got into the t14... maybe he fudged something up while submitting.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 am

It was sort of a select few. I blanketed the T10:

Harvard - Reject
Columbia - Hold
NYU - Pending (presumably Wait List)
Chicago - Wait List
Mich - Reject
Penn - Wait List
UVA - Wait List

In hindsight, should have applied to Northwestern too. I didn't want to go to Cornell, Duke or Georgetown, and I didn't think that outside T14 was worth it. I guess I'm not too surprised, but I'm just saying: LSAT isn't a free pass.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”