Serious question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Teris

Serious question

Postby Teris » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi, all. First post, and it's bad news.

Okay, so I have some pretty solid stats and have been accepted into at least one very highly ranked school (top 5) that I would be completely happy attending.

However, I am currently writing an honors thesis, and it's not going well. At this point, it would still be possible for me to complete my thesis, but I do not think I can do a good job with it, and my advisors and I are considering turning it into an oversized research paper and eliminating the fall credit (which would disappear from my transcript without a trace).

Unfortunately, I informed schools on my applications that I would be graduating with thesis honors. If I do drop the thesis, I will inform all of my schools within a week. Generally, I don't think the thesis made any difference with my acceptances, as my numbers were definitely strong enough to get into the schools to which I have been admitted without it. I also don't have a major excuse for the drop other than that I'm much further behind than I should be.

Will dropping the thesis impact my status at schools to which I am already admitted (but have not yet submitted a deposit, waiting on ASWs)? Should I ask the schools about it before dropping the thesis, and how should I go about asking?

Thanks a ton for your help.

shaville

Re: Serious question

Postby shaville » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 am

I doubt it will impact your decisions as long as you weren't a borderline candidate.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:46 am

Although I doubt it would affect your admissions, my advice is to tough it out and finish. You'll feel better that you did...and the effort you've put into it won't be wasted.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 am

twopoodles wrote:Although I doubt it would affect your admissions, my advice is to tough it out and finish. You'll feel better that you did...and the effort you've put into it won't be wasted.

+1 - stop wasting your time on the Internet and do your homework :lol:

Teris

Postby Teris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
twopoodles wrote:Although I doubt it would affect your admissions, my advice is to tough it out and finish. You'll feel better that you did...and the effort you've put into it won't be wasted.

It's more complicated than that.

I'm currently writing around fifteen pages a week and won't be finished in time at the current pace. I'm certainly not slacking off. The problem is more that the topic of the thesis ended up shifting radically very late in the game (late February) in such a way that has really prevented me from doing enough research to do a good job. Personally, I'd rather end up with a decently strong research paper of about fifty pages than a mediocre thesis of about a hundred pages. I would feel more accomplished with the former.

hermione0901

Postby hermione0901 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 am

Teris wrote:

I'm currently writing around fifteen pages a week and won't be finished in time at the current pace. I'm certainly not slacking off. The problem is more that the topic of the thesis ended up shifting radically very late in the game (late February) in such a way that has really prevented me from doing enough research to do a good job. Personally, I'd rather end up with a decently strong research paper of about fifty pages than a mediocre thesis of about a hundred pages. I would feel more accomplished with the former.

Wow, your school must be tough. At my UG, the standard senior honors thesis is 50-75 pages.

Teris

Postby Teris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 am

hermione0901 wrote:
Teris wrote:

Wow, your school must be tough. At my UG, the standard senior honors thesis is 50-75 pages.

My department "strongly recommends" that all theses be at least 80 pages long. Most departments are much more lenient, though. I know I could churn out the length if necessary, but it would be, like I said, mediocre.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:37 am

My department "strongly recommends" that all theses be at least 80 pages long. Most departments are much more lenient, though. I know I could churn out the length if necessary, but it would be, like I said, mediocre.

Why not just do 40 good pages and 40 mediocre pages? or if you could get to it 50 good and 30 mediocre?

I'm not too informed on this whole honors thesis, is it graded? is it just a matter of pride to do a good job? if so, just do a mediocre one and get it on your resume in my opinion.

Teris

Postby Teris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 am

Knockglock wrote:

Why not just do 40 good pages and 40 mediocre pages? or if you could get to it 50 good and 30 mediocre?

I'm not too informed on this whole honors thesis, is it graded? is it just a matter of pride to do a good job? if so, just do a mediocre one and get it on your resume in my opinion.

They're graded, although my understanding is that the grades (at least here) are usually pretty lenient.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:00 am

Teris wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

They're graded, although my understanding is that the grades (at least here) are usually pretty lenient.

Hmm, if I was in your shoes i'd do 50 quality pages and maybe just try to narrow the scope of the topic somehow. I'm not sure if that is a possibility for you though.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Teris wrote:

I was just busting your chops. If you're set on not completing it, then I really have no idea what to tell you. Except, good luck.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:10 pm

It's an undergraduate thesis, who cares? Just crank out 50 mediocre pages (even by UG standards) and that will be more than good enough.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Why are you asking us. Just call the places you got into and ask the question. The admissions staff will recognize the question because believe it or not, your not really that unique of a case and they probably had 3 or 4 of them last year or the year before. In a casual conversation they won't remember your name, or write this down and add it to your file. Outside of that this really isn't that serious of an issue. Things change, life happens, the admissions staff are understanding, I wouldn't stress about this too much...

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:33 pm

you're in, I highly doubt it was based on the fact that you were supposed to do an Undergrad thesis that they obviously didn't see (because it isn't done). So let them know and I'm pretty confident they will be cool with it.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:38 pm

1. You're probably in regardless
2. Put your head down, get through the work, do it as well as you can, stop talking about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”