How are area studies majors viewed by Law Schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmvargas

How are area studies majors viewed by Law Schools?

Postby jmvargas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 am

I have this question because it's something that has been on my mind since I decided to apply to law school. I majored in Latin American and Latino Studies (LALS) at UC Santa Cruz and obtained a GPA of 3.83. I suspect that area studies majors are seen as easy by some people. Some of my friends actually joked that a BA in LALS (or any other area studies) is akin to a degree in basket weaving! So, I wonder how many area studies majors get into law schools. i.e Asian, Chicano, AA, etc studies. I have yet to see any stats on this. Any feedback will be appreciated. And if you think that area studies are a joke please go easy. :roll:

iShotFirst

Re: How are area studies majors viewed by Law Schools?

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 am

All they care about is GPA, and you have a great one. Good luck on your applications!

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:24 am

iShotFirst wrote:All they care about is GPA, and you have a great one. Good luck on your applications!

TITCR. You can get a boost for a ridiculously hard major, like biochemical engineering or nuclear physics, but easy majors don't go the other way (though grade inflation is accounted for to some degree).

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 am

I too majored in a field that is considered "easy" by most people, and admittedly my major is probably the easiest one at my school. I wasn't turned away by any schools I was considered a lock at, but I didn't really get into any reaches, either. I thought my econ minor (4.0) and honors program grades (3.9) would make up for my easy major, but I may have been wrong. The thing is, though, that I'll never know why specifically I got dinged where I did.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 am

Vincent Vega wrote:I too majored in a field that is considered "easy" by most people, and admittedly my major is probably the easiest one at my school. I wasn't turned away by any schools I was considered a lock at, but I didn't really get into any reaches, either. I thought my econ minor (4.0) and honors program grades (3.9) would make up for my easy major, but I may have been wrong. The thing is, though, that I'll never know why specifically I got dinged where I did.

Vincent, your GW WL is perplexing, to say the least, but that is one SICK scholly at IUB!

OP, I believe the median GPA at your degree granting institution matters more than your major. (Meaning you should take a look at what LSAC says your Cum. GPA %ile Rank is in your Academic Summary Report) If you're around 80th/90th percentile or above you should be fine.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:38 am

OneKnight wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:I too majored in a field that is considered "easy" by most people, and admittedly my major is probably the easiest one at my school. I wasn't turned away by any schools I was considered a lock at, but I didn't really get into any reaches, either. I thought my econ minor (4.0) and honors program grades (3.9) would make up for my easy major, but I may have been wrong. The thing is, though, that I'll never know why specifically I got dinged where I did.

Vincent, your GW WL is perplexing, to say the least, but that is one SICK scholly at IUB!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”