No JR1 by now = out for sure at HLS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
twintipping_bumps

Bronze

No JR1 by now = out for sure at HLS?

Post by twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm

I submitted to HLS on 10/31 and have not heard anything other than prompt and pleasant responses to file updates. I am holding onto a glimmer of hope that they might like me; both of my numbers are below their 25th percentile but statistics reveal that over a hundred people below either one matriculate every year. Noticing the references to Yale's class profile, I wonder if HLS might find it attractive to say an entering member has an MFA. I have noticed MAs and PHDs on other sites but not MFAs, so maybe that is unique. I also hope my college level teaching in the state of Massachusetts at good schools and Film Producing experience might be favorable. Yet, I understand my chances are very slim.

Bottom line: is there any hope of acceptance for a person that has not yet received a JR1?

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Re: No JR1 by now = out for sure at HLS?

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:41 am

There's always hope . . . with both numbers below the 25%, your odds are very slim, but longshots have gotten into HLS before and it will happen again.

adameus

Silver

Re: No JR1 by now = out for sure at HLS?

Post by adameus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Peter North wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:There's always hope . . . with both numbers below the 25%, your odds are very slim, but longshots have gotten into HLS before and it will happen again.
+1. QFT.

I can personally attest to the veracity of this. I personally know of 2 applicants who were in this exact same predicament as OP, from the previous cycle.

- One just applied on a whim (both his LSAT and GPA were significantly below the 25%), but his work experience, softs, and life experiences were incredibly attractive. Guess what HLS says about "diversifying" the incoming class does have some merit, after all.

- The other was an international applicant. He was admitted in mid-August (just weeks before class started!!!) absent a phone interview (what's now called a "JR1"). It was hilarious, because he had to ask Homeland Security to issue him a special student visa, because HLS/USHS couldn't get the paper work done in time.

This year, though, is JR's 1st year as Dean of Admissions. We'll just have to wait and see how this cycle plays out, which might include unpredictabilities.

Good luck, OP! :P

wow a very useful post from Peter North! Are you still making movies or are you too old for that now?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”