Maryland - Penn State - Temple - Loyola Chicago - Brooklyn Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
merryo

New

Maryland - Penn State - Temple - Loyola Chicago - Brooklyn

Post by merryo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:54 am

I can't decide between these schools - someone PLEASE help.

Penn State gave me scholarships in the amount of $45,000 ($15,000 per year)
Temple gave me $45,000 as well
Loyola Chicago only gave me $5,000
Brooklyn is giving me $11,500 per year
Maryland is not giving me anything.

I am planning a trip out to visit Brooklyn, Penn State, Maryland, and Temple in early April before the deposit deadlines.

Also, if it means anything, I am hopping to go into one of the military JAG programs and I hear they pay for a great deal of law school.

I just want to be in the best possible situation in terms of employment and geographic placement when I get out of law school and the military.

Any advice on picking a school?

OneKnight

Bronze

Re: Maryland - Penn State - Temple - Loyola Chicago - Brooklyn

Post by OneKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:00 am

merryo wrote:I can't decide between these schools - someone PLEASE help.

Penn State gave me scholarships in the amount of $45,000 ($15,000 per year)
Temple gave me $45,000 as well
Loyola Chicago only gave me $5,000
Brooklyn is giving me $11,500 per year
Maryland is not giving me anything.

I am planning a trip out to visit Brooklyn, Penn State, Maryland, and Temple in early April before the deposit deadlines.

Also, if it means anything, I am hopping to go into one of the military JAG programs and I hear they pay for a great deal of law school.

I just want to be in the best possible situation in terms of employment and geographic placement when I get out of law school and the military.

Any advice on picking a school?
Right away I'd narrow it down to Temple, Penn State, and Maryland, because the other schools are too low-ranked and not offering you enough money to compensate for it, not to mention they are in extremely over-saturated markets. Personally, if I were you, I'd go to Maryland at sticker if I were interested in JAG. Maryland will make you the most competitive out of all those schools because it is a solid tier 1 regional school.
Last edited by OneKnight on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:00 am

Temple

merryo

New

Post by merryo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 am

Why Temple?

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14 am

merryo wrote:Why Temple?
Are you a PA Resident? If so, temple's Price is appealing. Also, where do you want to practice...Baltimore, Central PA, Philly, Chicago or NYC/Brooklyn? I know you said you wanted to do JAG, but what if it doesn't work out.

That being said, I believe Temple offers the best value if you're a PA Resident (with said Scholarship)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:35 am

I would easily pick Maryland over any of those, but I've had more than enough of PA so that might be swaying my opinion on PSU. Temple's in one of the trashiest parts of the trashiest cities. Don't go there. The other schools are garbage.

:mrgreen:

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 am

Don't go to Temple, I'm trying to get off the waitlist :evil: But seriously, Temple is a great school with a great reputation in the area. The area is getting nicer too. Any reason you decided not to look at Villanova?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 am

My initial reaction to the OP is Temple and it's not close.

If you are a PA resident, then I really don't see an argument for any of the other schools unless you really would hate practicing in Phlly.

And JAG programs are utterly competitive and not easy to get into, so I would not advise banking on having them.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 am

Go to whichever one costs the least including your scholarship, not just the one that gives you the most. I'm guessing that'd be Temple. Philly also has cheap cost-of-living so that will significantly reduce your debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

merryo

New

Post by merryo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:28 am

beach_terror wrote:Don't go to Temple, I'm trying to get off the waitlist :evil: But seriously, Temple is a great school with a great reputation in the area. The area is getting nicer too. Any reason you decided not to look at Villanova?

Honestly going through the admissions process I had no clue what to expect/where to apply.

I pretty much went down the list for rankings, and came up with some names. Also a lot of schools gave me a fee waiver, so that helped make my decision a lot easier on where to apply.

I am still confused though, because a lot of people say ranking matters, and as far as that goes, Temple is like 65 and Maryland is a solid top tier school. So what bearing should this have on my decision?

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:38 am

Temple-Money+places well in market

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:33 pm

merryo wrote:I am still confused though, because a lot of people say ranking matters, and as far as that goes, Temple is like 65 and Maryland is a solid top tier school. So what bearing should this have on my decision?
Maryland is also the best ranking school in its state. Temple only really places decent in Philly and the surrounding area too. If you really want to practice in Philly for some godforsaken reason, then go to Temple. If you want to practice in Maryland, go to Maryland. Ironically, PSU might give you the most mobility there if you're not sure, but it's a smaller mobility. A few states here and there. New facility too.

Please do not go to Brooklyn or Loyola Chicago though.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm

James Bond wrote:
merryo wrote:I am still confused though, because a lot of people say ranking matters, and as far as that goes, Temple is like 65 and Maryland is a solid top tier school. So what bearing should this have on my decision?
Maryland is also the best ranking school in its state. Temple only really places decent in Philly and the surrounding area too. If you really want to practice in Philly for some godforsaken reason, then go to Temple. If you want to practice in Maryland, go to Maryland. Ironically, PSU might give you the most mobility there if you're not sure, but it's a smaller mobility. A few states here and there. New facility too.

Please do not go to Brooklyn or Loyola Chicago though.
Good advice. OP, I would attend Temple or Maryland, depending on where you want to practice. Temple gave me similar money, and I'm still impressed with how inexpensive Philly is. Maryland is also TCR.

Also, please let us know your scholarship stipulations. Anything requiring you to be top 40%, top 30%, etc. to keep your scholarship is dangerous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nn223

New

Post by nn223 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:58 pm

James Bond wrote:I would easily pick Maryland over any of those, but I've had more than enough of PA so that might be swaying my opinion on PSU. Temple's in one of the trashiest parts of the trashiest cities. Don't go there. The other schools are garbage.

Maryland's in the worst location of them all. Hopefully you won't get mugged by the druggies on the streets of Bmore.

lawschool4life

New

Post by lawschool4life » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Penn State is where it's at... oustanding programs, faculty, facilities and a clean safe environment in which to study. Penn State's alumni network and the reputation they are building will easily outpace these other schools... yes, even Maryland.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 pm

nn223 wrote:
James Bond wrote:I would easily pick Maryland over any of those, but I've had more than enough of PA so that might be swaying my opinion on PSU. Temple's in one of the trashiest parts of the trashiest cities. Don't go there. The other schools are garbage.

Maryland's in the worst location of them all. Hopefully you won't get mugged by the druggies on the streets of Bmore.
Eh, Baltimore v. Philly is a toss up. Bmore has more crime. Philly's more of a shithole. The locale of UMD Law in Baltimore puts it in a relatively nice area though, while Temple is in one of THE shittiest areas of Philly.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:26 pm

James Bond wrote:
nn223 wrote:

Eh, Baltimore v. Philly is a toss up. Bmore has more crime. Philly's more of a shithole. The locale of UMD Law in Baltimore puts it in a relatively nice area though, while Temple is in one of THE shittiest areas of Philly.
TITCR. It's right near the Inner Harbor. Stay near the water and you're golden!!

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Being JAG is a big deal. All JAGs are not equal. MARINE JAG is pretty much being a soldier. If you have your heart on JAG you should go to which ever school gives you the most money, seriously. Then YOU as a soldier will make the difference in being accepted into JAG, and getting a pay back. Some JAG will accept time in law school as being enlisted. You should look into this further. Post on this forum will not likely be helpful, as most here are TLS, not JAG minded.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”