Let's Discuss Cities In Terms Of "Cool." OK, I Realize This

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
manbearwig

Re: Let's Discuss Cities In Terms Of "Cool." OK, I Realize This

Postby manbearwig » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 pm

I've always felt that Philly gets underrated. Yeah, there are some pretty crap areas, but there's a lot of "cool" stuff going on there as well. It's not only the second biggest city on the east coast, it has the second largest concentration of students as well, which bodes well for the city life.

qualster

Postby qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 pm

manbearwig wrote:I've always felt that Philly gets underrated. Yeah, there are some pretty crap areas, but there's a lot of "cool" stuff going on there as well. It's not only the second biggest city on the east coast, it has the second largest concentration of students as well, which bodes well for the city life.

I've been to Philly and I liked it. I expected it to be a run down, boring suck hole, but there was a lot going on there. The architecture, the bars, and the old area of downtown were great.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 pm

qualster wrote:
manbearwig wrote:I've always felt that Philly gets underrated. Yeah, there are some pretty crap areas, but there's a lot of "cool" stuff going on there as well. It's not only the second biggest city on the east coast, it has the second largest concentration of students as well, which bodes well for the city life.

I've been to Philly and I liked it. I expected it to be a run down, boring suck hole, but there was a lot going on there. The architecture, the bars, and the old area of downtown were great.

Philly isn't so bad. It just suffers a lot because it lacks mythology, is more working class than glamorous, and generally seems in decline. Not bad as a sixth borough though.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Oblomov wrote:Neither New York nor LA can be cool, as they're the obvious answers.

Take a long hard look at your tar, then continue talking about cool.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm

Orlando,
Charleston,
New York

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Cupidity wrote:Orlando,
Charleston,
New York

ORLANDO!?

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 am

Can you all please explain what you mean by cool?

Yeah NY and LA are home to biglaw, but they are also the two biggest cities in the United States. A few thousand suits don't take away from booming nightlife, art, cultural diversity, and unique architecture.

I don't understand the hate for New York here, besides the extreme COL. Besides that, unless you need your quiet, slow suburb I don't see what it is you can't find in a city like that. Yes there are pretentious, fake people in NY/Chi/LA but they are so big you can easily get away from that. (edit) I don't even mean to be plugging this three as the best places in America because they aren't. But not only do I fail to understand some of these other options, I would not even consider some of these places cities outside of a small downtown area which is dwarfed by the surrounding suburban sprawl.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 am

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
Tempe gets monsoons, doesn't it? I remember visiting ASU as a contender for my undergrad, and it was about 100 degrees and 90% humid. God-awful.

Yeah, but it's only bad the day after. The day of the monsoon, you'll be thankful for a respite from the oven.

dbt

Postby dbt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 am

of the places I've been...

NYC
Austin
San Fran
D.C.
Boston

are the best cities. Montreal is cool but I was underwhelmed (was expecting more I guess). I'm still holding out for Vancouver and maybe Portland. Never been to Chicago either, so maybe it will bump someone out. But so far, that's my top 5.

utexas2010

Postby utexas2010 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:52 am

Oblomov wrote:Neither New York nor LA can be cool, as they're the obvious answers. They might be good cities to live in (I've rather eat my own pubic hair every morning for breakfast), but they can't be cool. Cool requires something different from what my mother would suggest is cool. I don't know how the home of biglaw could be cool. And no, I am not a hipster.

Chicago is kind of cool. Detroit is cool. New Orleans is cliche, but still cool (at least was, haven't been since Katerina). Boston is a little too geeky and bourgeois, but comes close.

I stopped reading after I read that "Detroit is cool"....that pretty much sums up your personality for me

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:52 am

ccs224 wrote:
Charleston,
New York

ORLANDO!?

'Cha. Orlando is wonderful, especially the winter-park area. It has a really nice, classy arts scene. It's like you melded Asheville, NC with a Starbucks.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:11 am

Cupidity wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Charleston,
New York

ORLANDO!?

'Cha. Orlando is wonderful, especially the winter-park area. It has a really nice, classy arts scene. It's like you melded Asheville, NC with a Starbucks.

Flame.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:12 am

dbt wrote: Montreal is cool but I was underwhelmed (was expecting more I guess).

+1

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 am

beef wellington wrote:Meh, if the San Juans count for Seattle then the Oregon Coast counts for Portland. I do love me some NW WA, born and raised, it really is one of the best places in the world. Just wouldn't want to live in Seattle proper (or Everett, Tacoma, or Bellevue, all of which are even worse; Portland on the other hand has some nice burbs--Clackamas County and Oregon City come to mind).

I disagree about the Portland burbs, they seem more sprawling and poorly planned than the suburbs around Seattle in general. Have you ever been to Beaverton or Gresham, those places really suck. Portland proper is nice, but I think Seattle has a little more to offer and is in a generally better location.

The best place to live in the PNW though is Bellingham. Beautiful location, about 1.5 hours from Seattle and Vancouver, B.C., so pretty good access to both of those awesome cities, and most importantly only an hour from the best skiing in the world (IMO) at Mount Baker. Maybe it doesn't quite match some people's description of a city, but it is enough of one for me, about 80,000 people. It is my life goal to eventually move back there while still having a decent career.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 am

jcl2 wrote:The best place to live in the PNW though is Bellingham.

+1

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 am

Seattle is the country's premier city and New York is its most overrated, but one place that's unfairly overlooked is the Raleigh-Durham area (which I generally take to include Chapel Hill). Perhaps it's not "hip" in a classic sense, but it's a surprisingly diverse and vibrant place with a lot of young people, and it's absolutely beautiful.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 am

Does anybody who lives in San Francisco ever call it 'San Fran?' I can't recall ever hearing a local call it San Fran or Frisco. They always say the full name or just 'the city.'

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 am

NayBoer wrote:Does anybody who lives in San Francisco ever call it 'San Fran?' I can't recall ever hearing a local call it San Fran or Frisco. They always say the full name or just 'the city.'

Born in SF and used to live there (so don't know if I qualify) but no. It's the opposite. Native SF-ers often call it "Frisco." Most people don't bother saying 'San Francisco' because the name is too long. Just like we call nicknamed Sacramento Sac-town or San Jo for San Jose.

j.wellington wrote:Seattle is the country's premier city

+ 1 billion

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:43 pm

fortissimo wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Does anybody who lives in San Francisco ever call it 'San Fran?' I can't recall ever hearing a local call it San Fran or Frisco. They always say the full name or just 'the city.'

Born in SF and used to live there (so don't know if I qualify) but no. It's the opposite. Native SF-ers often call it "Frisco." Most people don't bother saying 'San Francisco' because the name is too long. Just like we call nicknamed Sacramento Sac-town or San Jo for San Jose.

+ 1 billion

What? I grew up in the Bay Area and no one called San Francisco "Frisco." When did you live there?

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 pm

fortissimo wrote:

+ 1 billion

As long as you don't mind being sopping wet, or freezing, or both at the same time, sure.

It's an attractive countryside, but the city itself always struck me a grimey. I get why 'grunge' was born there.

/Tacoma born

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:/Tacoma born

You're coming from Tacoma and calling Seattle grimey? Tacoma?

Congrats on making it out alive though.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:42 pm

ccs224 wrote:
Vegas_Rebel wrote:/Tacoma born

You're coming from Tacoma and calling Seattle grimey? Tacoma?

Congrats on making it out alive though.

Oh, I was just giving my 'Seattle cred', not implying that Tacoma is cleaner in any way.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:44 pm

fortissimo wrote:
daesonesb wrote:New York will always be the epicenter of American cool. It's got music and fashion cornered. New York is definitely doing the trendsetting for pop culture right now...
LA might be more glamorous, but New York is cooler.

LA is not all that glamorous for non-celebrities. It's not glamorous living with a million illegals in an overly humid and hot cesspool.

L.A., overly humid? Have you ever been there? And as far as the hot thing goes, L.A.'s summers are milder than anywhere on the East Coast that's south of Boston. It rarely gets above 90 here.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:49 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
daesonesb wrote:New York will always be the epicenter of American cool. It's got music and fashion cornered. New York is definitely doing the trendsetting for pop culture right now...
LA might be more glamorous, but New York is cooler.

LA is not all that glamorous for non-celebrities. It's not glamorous living with a million illegals in an overly humid and hot cesspool.

L.A., overly humid? Have you ever been there? And as far as the hot thing goes, L.A.'s summers are milder than anywhere on the East Coast that's south of Boston. It rarely gets above 90 here.

Let's not start this again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”