Let's Discuss Cities In Terms Of "Cool." OK, I Realize This Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
qualster

Bronze

Let's Discuss Cities In Terms Of "Cool." OK, I Realize This

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:54 am

isn't of the utmost importance when it comes to making a decision on where to attend, but it does matter. Now, I'm not saying I'm cool (I'm not), but I do like to be around cool people and events, etc.

New York
LA
Chicago
Philly
Miami
Seattle
Indianapolis
Atlanta
San Fran
Phoenix
Dallas
Houson
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Detroit
Denver
Cincinnati
Portland
Austin
etc.

What cities are the "coolest?" Rank a top 5-10 if you feel like it.

(I'm fully aware that this thread is lame and the antithesis of cool. And this thread probably = fail)

EDIT: So, which US cities have you spent time in? How did you feel about those cities in comparison to others?
Last edited by qualster on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Let's Discuss Cities In Terms Of "Cool." OK, I Realize This

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:57 am

San Francisco
Philly
Millbrae
Petaluma
Cotati
San Diego
Durham

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:02 am

Seattle
Portland
London
Paris
NYC

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 am

Oxford
Cusco
New York
Vancouver
Paris
Tokyo
Sydney
Amsterdam
London
Osaka
Seattle
Prague

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 am

New York will always be the epicenter of American cool. It's got music and fashion cornered. New York is definitely doing the trendsetting for pop culture right now...
LA might be more glamorous, but New York is cooler.
Seattle is pretty well dead as far as music centers go. Artistically it's had it's heyday (early nineties with grunge, post punk and Gus Van Sant). This is coming from a Washingtonian too.
Portland is probably number one as far as underground music per capita goes right now, but it's not total package cool like New York is.

Montreal takes it for Canada without much competition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:19 am

daesonesb wrote:New York will always be the epicenter of American cool. It's got music and fashion cornered. New York is definitely doing the trendsetting for pop culture right now...
Seattle is pretty well dead as far as music centers go. Artistically it's had it's heyday (early nineties with grunge, post punk and Gus Van Sant). This is coming from a Washingtonian too.
Portland is probably number one as far as underground music per capita goes right now, but it's not total package cool like New York is.

OK. I agree with you on Seattle. It is now becoming a parody of the cool Seattle that it once was. People keep moving there to live in the Seattle that once existed, and it is becoming more and more expensive. It is no longer a hip/grungy/edgy place. It's still kind of hip but it is very yuppy (and the weather is attrocious). These are new yuppies, however, disguised as free spirited 20 and 30 somethings. Seattle is, IMO, still much better than LA or Vegas, unless one is dead set on being a part of showbiz, but that's just kind of a different thing altogether.

So, what other cities are cool, in your opinion, and which cities are crap?

I'm going to edit the OP, as I should have laid out a more well defined goal for what I'm trying to do. I'll just add: Please rate and describe major US cities you've spent more than a day in. That might make this more useful to others trying to gauge cities in different regions. I know it would help me.

luhrenzo

Bronze

Post by luhrenzo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:28 am

daesonesb wrote:New York will always be the epicenter of American cool. It's got music and fashion cornered. New York is definitely doing the trendsetting for pop culture right now...

one could argue that Austin holds this crown. after all the, "Keep Portland Weird" campaign was jacked from the "Keep Austin Weird" philosophy that has permeated the streets in that city for over a decade

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:30 am

luhrenzo wrote:

one could argue that Austin holds this crown. after all the, "Keep Portland Weird" campaign was jacked from the "Keep Austin Weird" philosophy that has permeated the streets in that city for over a decade
Nice.

Austin, San Fran, Portland, Seattle, and New York are probably the usual suspects that will pop up over and over in a "cool cities" discussion.

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 am

1.) San Francisco

2.) New York

3.) Boston/Philadelphia

4.) Seattle

5.) Minneapolis

This is just my opinion, btw

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:43 am

prezidentv8 wrote:San Francisco
Philly
Millbrae
Petaluma
Cotati
San Diego
Durham
Durham? Srsly? :shock:

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 am

LA is not all that glamorous for non-celebrities. It's not glamorous living with a million illegals in an overly humid and hot cesspool.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 am

Austin is not cool. this is coming from someone who has lived there 10+ years.

1)Chicago
2)Seattle
3)Portland
4)everythign else

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:46 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:San Francisco
Philly
Millbrae
Petaluma
Cotati
San Diego
Durham
Durham? Srsly? :shock:
I think the rest of the list outside of SF is a joke. Millbrae is a shithole. So is Philly. Nobody likes Petaluma, at least nobody sane.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:46 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote: 5.) Minneapolis
What does Minneapolis have going for it aside from Rhymesayers? Which, IMO, hasn't been cool since 2003-2004.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:1.) San Francisco

2.) New York

3.) Boston/Philadelphia

4.) Seattle

5.) Minneapolis

This is just my opinion, btw
That's awesome. This is kind of the idea. I've heard that Minneapolis is very cool. I visited Philly a couple of years ago and I thought it was awesome (well, the old part of downtown that's been restored was cool). I've lived in Seattle and a few other West Coast cities, but I don't know many others.

IMO, LA is awesome for three weeks, and then it kind of goes down hill.
Last edited by qualster on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:50 am

daesonesb wrote:
What does Minneapolis have going for it aside from Rhymesayers? Which, IMO, hasn't been cool since 2003-2004.
There must be something to the Twin Cities because people I've met from there all love it despite the fact that it's a barren, icy wasteland.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:56 am

lewis louis wrote:Austin is not cool. this is coming from someone who has lived there 10+ years.

1)Chicago
2)Seattle
3)Portland
4)everythign else
What do you like most about Chicago? I've never been there but my buddy, who is an attorney, moved back there when he got bored of Seattle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
There must be something to the Twin Cities because people I've met from there all love it despite the fact that it's a barren, icy wasteland.
I'd like to know as well, because I've seen 3 different TLS posters state that the Twin Cities is better than Chicago.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:04 am

fortissimo wrote:
LA is not all that glamorous for non-celebrities. It's not glamorous living with a million illegals in an overly humid and hot cesspool.
Truth, but LA style is glamorous... as in LA cool generally involves designer clothing/ looking kind of GQ for guys. There is definitely a fixation on flashy cars in LA too, which is glamorous, but not cool IMO.

Another city I've got a bit of experience with is Vancouver. They've got a pretty strong film scene going, and the modern art gallery there gets amazing shit on the regular. Last I was there they had a gigantic collection of Andy Warhol. The only detraction I can think of for Vancouver is the surrounding areas to the south, which can be pretty hickish and conservative. Also, the Vancouver douchebag is of an especially shitty kind. Vancouver club douches give Jersey Shore types a run for their money. That said, however, its a pretty good place to live.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 am

fortissimo wrote:
LOL. Humid? When it rains (rarely), maybe... When gets really hot, it gets so dry your skin begins to hurt.

And those illegals? They make awesome grub.
Last edited by autarkh on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 am

autarkh wrote: And those illegals? They make awesome grub.
Agreed. The nice thing about this is that Mexican/Central American food is good all the way up the west coast though. I went to highschool in Northwestern WA, but the mexican and salvadorian places in town were great. There was a huge latin community where I lived.

This doesn't cross into Canada though. The Mexican food just north of the border is pretty awful and scarce as a general rule. Indian, Chinese and Japanese food is better in Van than in Seattle though, IMO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 am

autarkh wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
LOL. Humid? When it rains (rarely), maybe... When gets really hot, it gets so dry your skin begins to hurt.

Best burritos I've ever had.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:11 am

daesonesb wrote:
autarkh wrote: And those illegals? They make awesome grub.
Agreed. The nice thing about this is that Mexican/Central American food is good all the way up the west coast though. I went to highschool in Northwestern WA, but the mexican and salvadorian places in town were great. There was a huge latin community where I lived.

This doesn't cross into Canada though. The Mexican food just north of the border is pretty awful and scarce as a general rule. Indian, Chinese and Japanese food is better in Van than in Seattle though, IMO.
There's lots of good food in Vancouver of other varieties, though. And great coffee.

I still can't get over how green it is up there. Love it.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:13 am

qualster wrote:
autarkh wrote:
fortissimo wrote:

Best burritos I've ever had.
Burritos. Real tacos. Sopes. Tamales. Posole. Mmmmm.

You should also try Salvadorean "pupusas" and fried yucca root.
Last edited by autarkh on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:16 am

autarkh wrote:
Burritos. Real tacos. Sopes. Tamales. Posole. Mmmmm.

You should also try Salvadorean "pupusas" and fried yucca root.
I'll have to the next time I'm in La La.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”