Telling admissions office about other schools' deadlines

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hattori Hanzo

Telling admissions office about other schools' deadlines

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:10 am

If I am on hold at school A and have a deadline to accept admission at school B approaching, how long before the deadline can I let school A know that I am facing a deadline?

starsong

Re: Telling admissions office about other schools' deadlines

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:16 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:If I am on hold at school A and have a deadline to accept admission at school B approaching, how long before the deadline can I let school A know that I am facing a deadline?

You can do it whenever, but remember that trying to force a decision could lead to a WL. Remember, schools are aware of the general timeline--they know students have to place deposits. So if they want you, they'll let you know quickly. If you haven't heard, it means they're not ready to accept you yet.

It's a tricky problem, but recognize that hold is a kind of WL-like status. The school promised you a final answer by a certain date--i.e. end of April--and courteously told you (via the hold) that you're not on their "first choice" list. That may change between now and then, but it likely hasn't changed yet. Do you really want the school to make a decision now?

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:17 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:If I am on hold at school A and have a deadline to accept admission at school B approaching, how long before the deadline can I let school A know that I am facing a deadline?

Sorry, but you're just going to have to suck it up and pay the deposit.

Assuming you get into school A, then you can safely withdraw from school B (of course losing the deposit of at most 200 or 300, depending where you are).

As much as it sucks, this is precisely why schools have deposit deadlines. It lets them know who is serious about actually attending law school there once admitted. The good news is that it tends to get the waitlist moving. Once a handful of people at "school A" decide to do something else, there is then more room for that school to do something with your file.

It's all part of the process. I lost two deposits along the way last year. It seems expensive now. But in reality, a few hundred bucks is an extremely small price to pay to know what your future options are.

Zaraa

Postby Zaraa » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 am

An extra $1,000 to have options is completely worth it in my opinion. When you are looking at a $200,000 investment with tuition, housing etc the
seat deposits are really not worth fretting over. I will not be pressuring my reaches or waitlists with deposit deadlines for other schools. I'd rather them look at my file for longer and have more chances to slide in as others withdraw.

Of course my situation is a bit unique as I live overseas and will only have an opportunity to visit campuses during July right before tuition deadlines. If I could do this earlier, I would be withdrawing earlier as well and saving the extra $$$ for a new sofa!

Just my 2 cents :D

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 am

I think I should have mentioned that the information is asked for by the admissions office, i.e. in the hold email they said I can let them know of any approaching deadlines.

On the deposit issue, I have heard that some schools, e.g. Columbia really frown upon putting down multiple deposits which is why that would be the last thing I'd do personally. I am not sure if that's true of all schools though.

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I think I should have mentioned that the information is asked for by the admissions office, i.e. in the hold email they said I can let them know of any approaching deadlines.

In that case, go for it, but be very polite and deferential. Just let them know, don't try to push for a decision.

Hattori Hanzo wrote:On the deposit issue, I have heard that some schools, e.g. Columbia really frown upon putting down multiple deposits which is why that would be the last thing I'd do personally. I am not sure if that's true of all schools though.

Who said anything about multiple deposits? You deposit at the school you're accepted to, remain on hold/WL at your target, then if your target opens up, you immediately withdraw from the first school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”