Developing skills to be successful at a top law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sassafraza

Developing skills to be successful at a top law school

Postby sassafraza » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:56 pm

OK, I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to just get into a top law school but be a leader there also. What are some ways I can develop skills to be competitive for law review, moot court, and/or student government? I hear law review is looking for a very specific set of skills and for the latter two, I'm guessing leadership in small clubs isn't enough.

vanwinkle

Re: Developing skills to be successful at a top law school

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:58 pm

The specific skill Law Review is looking for is very high grades. The specific skill Moot Court is looking for is oral advocacy and legal research, which you'll develop in your LRW class. Student government means jack. HTH.

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:05 am

Law review, moot court, and student government are three very different things.

Law review requires excellent grades and/or writing ability. Some schools accept students to law review based on grades alone; many also require participating in a writing competition. Good grades and legal writing both require excellent legal thinking/analysis skills. You can read about "thinking like a lawyer" all over this site, here's a starting point: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html.

Moot court involves legal analysis and research, but also requires effective oral advocacy skills. This can be developed, but the ability to think on your feet is crucial.

Student government? Maybe popularity and free time?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:08 am

starsong wrote:Student government? Maybe popularity and free time?

Haha, this is spot-on.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”