Joint Degree in Security Studies Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mike19

New

Joint Degree in Security Studies

Post by Mike19 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 pm

I've been trying to do research on the top Security Studies programs, but have found that it often leads back to some generalized claims on this forum. That's convenient since I wish to pursue the joint degree program route, but I have still come up empty handed as far as a list of the top colleges in the security studies area.

So far, from this forum, I have heard Georgetown and GW mentioned alot, but no others.

I was wondering if anyone on here has done research into this matter, and if so, what other schools did you find that would be good to look into?

Right now I'm sitting at a 166 LSAT and a 3.83 GPA, but im retaking in June and applying for 2011 entry.

Thank you for any information.

sky7

Bronze

Re: Joint Degree in Security Studies

Post by sky7 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Columbia has a pretty decent program (SIPA, I think?). Hopkins and MIT do too, but they lack a law school.

Kings College, London, has an excellent war college...

chutzpah

Bronze

Re: Joint Degree in Security Studies

Post by chutzpah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 am

Hi. Do you want to do a specific security studies degree or an MPP/MPA with a security focus? If you want the former, GW and Georgetown (and MIT) are the only specific security studies programs I know of. There are also MPP programs at American and George Mason, which may be good law options for you too. I work in the field in DC and honestly don't see the value in a security studies Masters. I think two years working on nat'l security issues is more valuable than two years studying it from books you can probably read independently. If you're interested in working as a fed, the JD will most likely give you the quals you need.

The big MPA/MPP programs are the Wilson School at Princeton, Kennedy School at Harvard, Maxwell School at Syracuse, SAIS at Hopkins and the Fletcher School at Tufts. Goldman at Berkeley, SIPA at Columbia, and Wagner at NYU are also good.

But honestly, I'm not sure if the extra time and money spend on the Master's is worth it if you're getting a JD. And I say this as an applicant to the Kennedy School.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”