Poor Master's Program Performance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SDviaVA

Poor Master's Program Performance

Postby SDviaVA » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:35 am

I was in a cell and molecular biology master's progam and I was kicked out after the first 2 semesters for not maintaining a 3.0 GPA (mine was somewhere around a 2.5). I am applying to law school now and I have 2 questions......

1. How will law schools view this? Im sure it will not be in a positive light but will it hurt me a lot?

2. Most law schools I am applying to have a question about academic probation/expuslion so I have prepared a statement (what happened, I decided to go in a different direction, deep though and reflection etc. etc.), but a few don't. Should I include this statement anyway since they will have my graduate transcripts?

Any info is helpful. I havent found too much information about people in my situation. FYI my LSAT is a 158 and under grad GPA is a 3.1 (major Biotechnolgy).

Hattori Hanzo

Re: Poor Master's Program Performance

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:32 am

It doesn't mean you wouldn't find any takers, but any school that would take you with that profile is probably not worth your time and money. If you're dead set on doing this, there are two things you can do to make yourself more marketable: 1) put some distance between yourself and the MS performance. A few years of work experience will do that and can also count as a good soft depending on how you perform 2) study hard and retake the LSAT.

SDviaVA

Re: Poor Master's Program Performance

Postby SDviaVA » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:22 pm

It has been about 2 years I have had a great job working for a good company since then. Anyone had any direct expierence with this?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”