How are sections determined? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
corporatelaw87

Bronze

How are sections determined?

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Besides the schools we know to section stack (Cardozo, Brooklyn). How do other schools make sections? Completely random or do they really try to have an even spread based on GPA and LSAT.

HyeMart

Bronze

Re: How are swctions determined?

Post by HyeMart » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:section stack (Cardozo, Brooklyn).
wot is this?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:54 pm

HyeMart wrote:
wot is this?
Section stacking is putting all the scholarship recipients into the same section, which makes a percentage of them lose their scholarships automatically, e.g. say you have one section where 60% are getting scholarships, but they need top 1/3 to keep it.

engineer

Bronze

Re: How are sections determined?

Post by engineer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:Besides the schools we know to section stack (Cardozo, Brooklyn). How do other schools make sections? Completely random or do they really try to have an even spread based on GPA and LSAT.
[citation needed]

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 pm

engineer wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:Besides the schools we know to section stack (Cardozo, Brooklyn). How do other schools make sections? Completely random or do they really try to have an even spread based on GPA and LSAT.
[citation needed]
First person sources at both schools

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:57 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:
engineer wrote:
[citation needed]
They're still wrong. It's all hearsay. Schools don't section stack, they just give out a lot of scholarships. Hence most people think they're section is stacked, and the rumors fly.

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:59 pm

disco_barred wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:
engineer wrote:
[citation needed]
They're still wrong. It's all hearsay. Schools don't section stack, they just give out a lot of scholarships. Hence most people think they're section is stacked, and the rumors fly.
Look, I am not here to slander schools. Back to the question at hand, how are sections determined?

twopoodles

Bronze

Post by twopoodles » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:01 pm

I've asked this before, but are these schools calculating rank BY SECTION? I have not heard of any that calculate other than by class, in which case the problem is the curve of grading, but this would distort the entire class rank and it seems to me this would do more harm to the school than help save money.

I asked the school I'm attending flat out how many people lose their scholarships and she said they did not "give them to 1/2, expecting them to be in the top 1/3." The way she said it made me think that either other schools DO, or, this is just a really common (and annoying) myth.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 pm

twopoodles wrote:I've asked this before, but are these schools calculating rank BY SECTION? I have not heard of any that calculate other than by class, in which case the problem is the curve of grading, but this would distort the entire class rank and it seems to me this would do more harm to the school than help save money.

I asked the school I'm attending flat out how many people lose their scholarships and she said they did not "give them to 1/2, expecting them to be in the top 1/3." The way she said it made me think that either other schools DO, or, this is just a really common (and annoying) myth.
Many schools that rank do so by section, because then it's all weighted against people who took (nearly) identical classes.

re: scholarship strings - even if a school gave scholarships to 1/4 asking them to maintain top 1/3, there would still be tons in every section, and tons who failed to get top third because of how difficult it is to predict success in law school based on pre-LS data.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm fairly certain that UVA finds pairs of people with similar backgrounds (alma mater, work experience, hometown, etc.) and puts them together. I don't think their section assignment has anything to do with people's GPA and LSAT though.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:07 pm

twopoodles wrote:I've asked this before, but are these schools calculating rank BY SECTION? I have not heard of any that calculate other than by class, in which case the problem is the curve of grading, but this would distort the entire class rank and it seems to me this would do more harm to the school than help save money.
I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not section section stacking happens, but this question is confused. Each section faces it's own curve, so that (example) only 10% of each section can get an A, leading to 10% of the whole class getting A's.

twopoodles

Bronze

Post by twopoodles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:46 am

Right...I guess that would matter if there are GPA requirements, but I was thinking along the lines of "top third" requirements.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:52 am

Hogwarts' sorting hat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:52 am

twopoodles wrote:Right...I guess that would matter if there are GPA requirements, but I was thinking along the lines of "top third" requirements.
How do you think "top third" is determined? It's basically the highest 1/3 of GPAs in the section or class, which is heavily influenced by how well the rest of your section performs.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:56 am

disco_barred wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:
engineer wrote:
[citation needed]

I asked the dean at Cardozo about this and he gave me a very clear answer - they try to put equal numbers of scholarship recipients in each section. .:, no stacking.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:56 am

Cavalier wrote:I'm fairly certain that UVA finds pairs of people with similar backgrounds (alma mater, work experience, hometown, etc.) and puts them together. I don't think their section assignment has anything to do with people's GPA and LSAT though.
Would you mind expanding on this a bit? Very curious indeed . . .

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 am

Much of the calculus is unknown, but somehow we ended up with 2 black people in each section. The math must be extremely esoteric.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twopoodles

Bronze

Post by twopoodles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:39 am

This debate has been done, over and over...but yes, I am aware that the top third is by GPA. But, the GPA is more complicated than just "all the top students get A's." It is done on a number system so that it is highly unlikely a third of students would have the highest GPA possible. Probably not even 10% would...I'm not sure how many graduate with "highest honors" but I don't imagine it is very many. If the class rank takes all sections into account, section stacking would serve only to make it easier for weaker students to compete with the best students, this would not serve the school. If it is somehow separate by section, that would be something else altogether but I don't think that is usually/ever the case.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:45 am

There's no stacking. After my first year I talked to people from a number of different sections - each was convinced THEIRS was the stacked section. This is just a story people tell themselves because they can't quite get over the fact that for the first time in their life they couldn't get A's just by doing the work.

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:18 am

im_blue wrote:
HyeMart wrote:
wot is this?
Section stacking is putting all the scholarship recipients into the same section, which makes a percentage of them lose their scholarships automatically, e.g. say you have one section where 60% are getting scholarships, but they need top 1/3 to keep it.
sounds dread, thanks for the info though

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 am

Philo38 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I'm fairly certain that UVA finds pairs of people with similar backgrounds (alma mater, work experience, hometown, etc.) and puts them together. I don't think their section assignment has anything to do with people's GPA and LSAT though.
In my section there are 2 University of Tennessee alums, 2 University of Miami alums, 2 BYU alums, 3 people who went to college in the Pacific Northwest, 2 people from Nebraska, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that certain people happen to be in the same sections.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:31 am

I don't know how NU assigns sections, but I'm in one with a bunch of other alchoholics. Seriously, bar night is like half our section (out of 4)...

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
In my section there are 2 University of Tennessee alums, 2 University of Miami alums, 2 BYU alums, 3 people who went to college in the Pacific Northwest, 2 people from Nebraska, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that certain people happen to be in the same sections.
Wow. Interesting, I didn't expect that it would operate that way at all. I guess I jsut assumed it was totally random . . .

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:47 pm

stratified random sampling, is what i've been told by school officials.

s419

New

Post by s419 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

This is definitely true -- I was told this by a few people when I went to visit UVA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”