If You Applied Mid-Nov., When Did You Hear Back? (HYS)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MagnumLifeStyle

If You Applied Mid-Nov., When Did You Hear Back? (HYS)

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Hey Guys!

If you applied Mid-November, when did you hear back? (from HYS)
Do you think applying mid-November is too late?

I'm asking because I wish to get a ball park figure of when I might hear back (either an acceptance or rejection) because my plans for the future would drastically change upon the result.

So I'll really appreciate it if you could perhaps share when you heard back. Thanks!! :)

MURPH

Re: If You Applied Mid-Nov., When Did You Hear Back? (HYS)

Postby MURPH » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:09 am

I applied to Yale Nov 23 and got rejected around Jan 28. A week later for Harvard. I applied to Stanford in late nov and haven't heard back. I like to kid myself and pretend they are still thinking about admitting me but in reality my rejection letter probably got lost in the mail.

November is too late. Anything after the first week that they accept applications is too late unless you are retaking the LSAT. If I could do one thing over, I'd have applied earlier.

naruhodo

Postby naruhodo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 am

MURPH wrote:I applied to Nov 23 and got rejected around Jan 28. A week later for Harvard. I applied to Stanford in late nov and haven't heard back. I like to kid myself and pretend they are still thinking about admitting me but in reality my rejection letter probably got lost in the mail.

November is too late. Anything after the first week that they accept applications is too late unless you are retaking the LSAT. If I could do one thing over, I'd have applied earlier.

If you search the board, you'll see that a relative consensus has coalesced around the rule of thumb that any time before Thanksgiving is "early." It's debatable if there is a marginal upside applying in October as opposed to November, but there's no need to rush yourself into submitting within the first week after applications are released, especially for Yale. In other words, I wouldn't send in a half-hearted application in October if an extra month would dramatically improve my personal statement and other supporting materials.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:28 am

I applied Mid-Nov., and was accepted to Harvard in late January. I am still waiting on Yale, and did not apply to Stanford.

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:46 am

Applied to HYS in mid November -

Stanford decision - mid January
Harvard decision - early March
Yale - nothing yet

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”