Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PitchO20

Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby PitchO20 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:34 pm

3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

American, Drexel, Penn St, Villanova

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Looks like T3 it is for me.

Royal68

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby Royal68 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm

LOCI to Nova and Penn state.. Asap

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:40 pm

Royal68 wrote:LOCI to Nova and Penn state.. Asap

I've been persistent with LOCI/additional recc. I figure anything off the WL would be a gift from God (why the hell did AU even bother WLing me?), so I'm not really banking on any of them.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:41 pm

PitchO20 wrote:3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Sorry to hear it, but, with your #s, the WL at American is pretty impressive, it could've easily been a reject. Send a LOCI and good luck! (Don't settle for a Tier 3, even if it means you're waiting for next cycle...) EDIT: and retaking the LSAT, of course!

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

Join the toileteers buddy!!!

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Did you apply late?

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm not sure that this is "one of the worst cycles this year." There are people on here that have been waitlisted at every school they've applied to. At least you know that you have the option to go this year. Good luck, and hopefully you'll make it off one of the waitlists (if I had to guess, I'd say PSU).

Gunners87

Postby Gunners87 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 pm

I think you are below the medians at most of your rejects. I can't quite see how this qualifies for worst cycle this year...

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:12 pm

I took the Dec LSAT, so most of my apps went out right after.

And perhaps I should have titled this thread "one of the most disappointing cycles of the year"

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 pm

PitchO20 wrote:I took the Dec LSAT, so most of my apps went out right after.

And perhaps I should have titled this thread "one of the most disappointing cycles of the year"

Dude, seriously. What did you expect????? You are 3.3 159

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Seems like Hofstra or Syracuse if they're giving you a decent amount of $ are your best bets. I gather Syracuse is better than it's ranking would suggest.

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Okay.... so you blanketed the whole NY law school scene except Buffalo? Why?

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Retake the LSAT. It's too expensive to settle for a school, esp a T3 school. Moving from 159 to 163 is not that hard an it puts you in a whole different ballpark of schools (and obvi if you can get above 163, all the better). Worth waiting another year to work on that LSAT, since it seems liked you are not jazzed about any of the places to which you've been accepted. I had a 3.3 GPA too when applying, worked very hard at the LSAT and got into a T20, then transferred to a T14. With extra time, the LSAT is not that hard to improve, and the consequences are enormous. I'd seriously take another year to get your score up and give yourself better options. I know that waiting a year sounds like an enormous amount of time, but it really isn't when the stakes are so large.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Nowhere close to being one of the worst cycles of the year. Sorry you got dinged, but keep your head up. Plenty of people had far worse cycles than this.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:21 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Nowhere close to being one of the worst cycles of the year. Sorry you got dinged, but keep your head up. Plenty of people had far worse cycles than this.

And more disappointing ones. Seriously, man up.

qualster

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:50 am

JustDude wrote:

JustDude, you really should be "JustDouche" instead. I guess "JustaDouche" would work better. Either one would suit you far better than your current username.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Besides the obvious fact that your LSAT killed you, going from the toilet to Tier 1 was your first mistake. Also focusing on public schools was a mistake this year. Their applications are through the roof.

Retaking might be an option, but don't expect to do much better unless you know you're a great test taker.

Catholic did you a favor. You don't want to go to a school which is after the following schools (T14 excluded) George Washington, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, George Mason, and American.

That scholarship to NYLS blows. I have read the fine print.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 pm

erniesto wrote:Besides the obvious fact that your LSAT killed you, going from the toilet to Tier 1 was your first mistake. Also focusing on public schools was a mistake this year. Their applications are through the roof.

Retaking might be an option, but don't expect to do much better unless you know you're a great test taker.

Catholic did you a favor. You don't want to go to a school which is after the following schools (T14 excluded) George Washington, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, George Mason, and American.

That scholarship to NYLS blows. I have read the fine print.

So public schools are seeing the largest increase in applications?

qualster

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

If I had to choose a T3 I the 'Cuse would be near the top of my list as it is said to be an underrated law school. The school university is somewhat highly regarded, and you are getting a scholarship, so that may be your best bet. Plus, they have a killer hoops program and they do have football tradition, though their football program has been in the dumps for the past decade. It should be back though. Good luck, bro.

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:34 pm

qualster wrote:

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

If I had to choose a T3 I the 'Cuse would be near the top of my list as it is said to be an underrated law school. The school university is somewhat highly regarded, and you are getting a scholarship, so that may be your best bet. Plus, they have a killer hoops program and they do have football tradition, though their football program has been in the dumps for the past decade. It should be back though. Good luck, bro.

Where do Syracuse grads get jobs? It's got to be very tough to crack into the NYC market. I know one Syracuse grad that works at Proskauer, but that's after she did two clerkships.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:49 pm

qualster wrote:
JustDude wrote:

JustDude, you really should be "JustDouche" instead. I guess "JustaDouche" would work better. Either one would suit you far better than your current username.

Sorry, but I have to agree with JustDude. OP's results are in no way shocking considering the 3.3, 159. Having already been accepted to a number of schools (regardless of their tier) doesn't exactly merit "worst cycle of the year" or anywhere near it.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:50 pm

qualster wrote:

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

This is an incredible bonus when it comes to employment opportunities --ImageRemoved--

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:17 pm

TTTennis wrote:
qualster wrote:
JustDude wrote:

Sorry, but I have to agree with JustDude. OP's results are in no way shocking considering the 3.3, 159. Having already been accepted to a number of schools (regardless of their tier) doesn't exactly merit "worst cycle of the year" or anywhere near it.

While his stats aren't all that impressive, he/she should have been at least accepted at Catholic.

OP: I get the feeling that maybe either your PS or recommendations sucked. Do you have a criminal record?

Your cycle isn't a completely unusual, but some of those decisions don't make sense (i.e. the auto-reject Catholic).

Edit: The only thing unusual about your cycle is Catholic. Everything else looks pretty typical.
Last edited by honestabe84 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:20 pm

honestabe84 wrote:While his stats aren't all that impressive, he/she should have been at least waitlisted at Penn State and accepted at Catholic.

OP: I get the feeling that maybe either your PS or recommendations sucked. Do you have a criminal record?

Your cycle isn't a completely unusual, but some of those decisions don't make sense (i.e. the auto-rejects at Penn State and Catholic).

OP was waitlisted at Penn State.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm

TTTennis wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:While his stats aren't all that impressive, he/she should have been at least waitlisted at Penn State and accepted at Catholic.

Your cycle isn't a completely unusual, but some of those decisions don't make sense (i.e. the auto-rejects at Penn State and Catholic).

OP was waitlisted at Penn State.

Whoops you're right.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”