Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
PitchO20
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby PitchO20 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:34 pm

3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

American, Drexel, Penn St, Villanova

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Looks like T3 it is for me.

Royal68
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby Royal68 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm

LOCI to Nova and Penn state.. Asap

User avatar
PitchO20
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby PitchO20 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:40 pm

Royal68 wrote:LOCI to Nova and Penn state.. Asap


I've been persistent with LOCI/additional recc. I figure anything off the WL would be a gift from God (why the hell did AU even bother WLing me?), so I'm not really banking on any of them.

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby OneKnight » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:41 pm

PitchO20 wrote:3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

American, Drexel, Penn St, Villanova

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Looks like T3 it is for me.


Sorry to hear it, but, with your #s, the WL at American is pretty impressive, it could've easily been a reject. Send a LOCI and good luck! (Don't settle for a Tier 3, even if it means you're waiting for next cycle...) EDIT: and retaking the LSAT, of course!

User avatar
JustDude
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby JustDude » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:42 pm

PitchO20 wrote:3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

American, Drexel, Penn St, Villanova

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Looks like T3 it is for me.




Join the toileteers buddy!!!

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Did you apply late?

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm not sure that this is "one of the worst cycles this year." There are people on here that have been waitlisted at every school they've applied to. At least you know that you have the option to go this year. Good luck, and hopefully you'll make it off one of the waitlists (if I had to guess, I'd say PSU).

User avatar
Gunners87
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby Gunners87 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 pm

I think you are below the medians at most of your rejects. I can't quite see how this qualifies for worst cycle this year...

User avatar
PitchO20
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby PitchO20 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:12 pm

I took the Dec LSAT, so most of my apps went out right after.

And perhaps I should have titled this thread "one of the most disappointing cycles of the year"

User avatar
JustDude
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby JustDude » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 pm

PitchO20 wrote:I took the Dec LSAT, so most of my apps went out right after.

And perhaps I should have titled this thread "one of the most disappointing cycles of the year"


Dude, seriously. What did you expect????? You are 3.3 159

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby reverendt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Seems like Hofstra or Syracuse if they're giving you a decent amount of $ are your best bets. I gather Syracuse is better than it's ranking would suggest.

User avatar
sawwaverunner
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby sawwaverunner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Okay.... so you blanketed the whole NY law school scene except Buffalo? Why?

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby thedogship » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Retake the LSAT. It's too expensive to settle for a school, esp a T3 school. Moving from 159 to 163 is not that hard an it puts you in a whole different ballpark of schools (and obvi if you can get above 163, all the better). Worth waiting another year to work on that LSAT, since it seems liked you are not jazzed about any of the places to which you've been accepted. I had a 3.3 GPA too when applying, worked very hard at the LSAT and got into a T20, then transferred to a T14. With extra time, the LSAT is not that hard to improve, and the consequences are enormous. I'd seriously take another year to get your score up and give yourself better options. I know that waiting a year sounds like an enormous amount of time, but it really isn't when the stakes are so large.

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby phoenix323 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Nowhere close to being one of the worst cycles of the year. Sorry you got dinged, but keep your head up. Plenty of people had far worse cycles than this.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:21 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Nowhere close to being one of the worst cycles of the year. Sorry you got dinged, but keep your head up. Plenty of people had far worse cycles than this.


And more disappointing ones. Seriously, man up.

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:50 am

JustDude wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:I took the Dec LSAT, so most of my apps went out right after.

And perhaps I should have titled this thread "one of the most disappointing cycles of the year"


Dude, seriously. What did you expect????? You are 3.3 159


JustDude, you really should be "JustDouche" instead. I guess "JustaDouche" would work better. Either one would suit you far better than your current username.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby erniesto » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Besides the obvious fact that your LSAT killed you, going from the toilet to Tier 1 was your first mistake. Also focusing on public schools was a mistake this year. Their applications are through the roof.

Retaking might be an option, but don't expect to do much better unless you know you're a great test taker.

Catholic did you a favor. You don't want to go to a school which is after the following schools (T14 excluded) George Washington, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, George Mason, and American.

That scholarship to NYLS blows. I have read the fine print.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 pm

erniesto wrote:Besides the obvious fact that your LSAT killed you, going from the toilet to Tier 1 was your first mistake. Also focusing on public schools was a mistake this year. Their applications are through the roof.

Retaking might be an option, but don't expect to do much better unless you know you're a great test taker.

Catholic did you a favor. You don't want to go to a school which is after the following schools (T14 excluded) George Washington, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, George Mason, and American.

That scholarship to NYLS blows. I have read the fine print.


So public schools are seeing the largest increase in applications?

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:30 pm

PitchO20 wrote:3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

American, Drexel, Penn St, Villanova

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Looks like T3 it is for me.


If I had to choose a T3 I the 'Cuse would be near the top of my list as it is said to be an underrated law school. The school university is somewhat highly regarded, and you are getting a scholarship, so that may be your best bet. Plus, they have a killer hoops program and they do have football tradition, though their football program has been in the dumps for the past decade. It should be back though. Good luck, bro.

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby thedogship » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:34 pm

qualster wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

American, Drexel, Penn St, Villanova

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Looks like T3 it is for me.


If I had to choose a T3 I the 'Cuse would be near the top of my list as it is said to be an underrated law school. The school university is somewhat highly regarded, and you are getting a scholarship, so that may be your best bet. Plus, they have a killer hoops program and they do have football tradition, though their football program has been in the dumps for the past decade. It should be back though. Good luck, bro.



Where do Syracuse grads get jobs? It's got to be very tough to crack into the NYC market. I know one Syracuse grad that works at Proskauer, but that's after she did two clerkships.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby TTTennis » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:49 pm

qualster wrote:
JustDude wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:I took the Dec LSAT, so most of my apps went out right after.

And perhaps I should have titled this thread "one of the most disappointing cycles of the year"


Dude, seriously. What did you expect????? You are 3.3 159


JustDude, you really should be "JustDouche" instead. I guess "JustaDouche" would work better. Either one would suit you far better than your current username.


Sorry, but I have to agree with JustDude. OP's results are in no way shocking considering the 3.3, 159. Having already been accepted to a number of schools (regardless of their tier) doesn't exactly merit "worst cycle of the year" or anywhere near it.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby erniesto » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:50 pm

qualster wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:3.3/159. Pretty strong softs (summer internship with US Senator)

Admitted to:

Hofstra
NYLS
Pace
Syracuse

Waitlist:

American, Drexel, Penn St, Villanova

Rejected (deep breath): Catholic, UConn, George Mason, Maryland, Northeastern, Temple, W&L

Still waiting to hear from Seton Hall and Florida St. Got decent scholarship money from NYLS, Syracuse, and Pace. Still, expected to squeeze into at least one T2 (is Hofstra still a T2? I know it's always hovering around 100). I expected a ding at all the 'reach' schools, but Catholic? Come on. I saw that as a lock.

Looks like T3 it is for me.


If I had to choose a T3 I the 'Cuse would be near the top of my list as it is said to be an underrated law school. The school university is somewhat highly regarded, and you are getting a scholarship, so that may be your best bet. Plus, they have a killer hoops program and they do have football tradition, though their football program has been in the dumps for the past decade. It should be back though. Good luck, bro.


This is an incredible bonus when it comes to employment opportunities --ImageRemoved--

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:17 pm

TTTennis wrote:
qualster wrote:
JustDude wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:I took the Dec LSAT, so most of my apps went out right after.

And perhaps I should have titled this thread "one of the most disappointing cycles of the year"


Dude, seriously. What did you expect????? You are 3.3 159


JustDude, you really should be "JustDouche" instead. I guess "JustaDouche" would work better. Either one would suit you far better than your current username.


Sorry, but I have to agree with JustDude. OP's results are in no way shocking considering the 3.3, 159. Having already been accepted to a number of schools (regardless of their tier) doesn't exactly merit "worst cycle of the year" or anywhere near it.


While his stats aren't all that impressive, he/she should have been at least accepted at Catholic.

OP: I get the feeling that maybe either your PS or recommendations sucked. Do you have a criminal record?

Your cycle isn't a completely unusual, but some of those decisions don't make sense (i.e. the auto-reject Catholic).

Edit: The only thing unusual about your cycle is Catholic. Everything else looks pretty typical.
Last edited by honestabe84 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby TTTennis » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:20 pm

honestabe84 wrote:While his stats aren't all that impressive, he/she should have been at least waitlisted at Penn State and accepted at Catholic.

OP: I get the feeling that maybe either your PS or recommendations sucked. Do you have a criminal record?

Your cycle isn't a completely unusual, but some of those decisions don't make sense (i.e. the auto-rejects at Penn State and Catholic).


OP was waitlisted at Penn State.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Well, I can say I have one of the worst cycles this year.

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm

TTTennis wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:While his stats aren't all that impressive, he/she should have been at least waitlisted at Penn State and accepted at Catholic.

OP: I get the feeling that maybe either your PS or recommendations sucked. Do you have a criminal record?

Your cycle isn't a completely unusual, but some of those decisions don't make sense (i.e. the auto-rejects at Penn State and Catholic).


OP was waitlisted at Penn State.


Whoops you're right.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hamburg, mrgstephe and 12 guests