Resume (What must you report) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
logicman86

New

Resume (What must you report)

Post by logicman86 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Do you have to report every job on your resume. If you have been fired from a job before, do you have to disclose this or can I leave it off my resume as I would if I was applying to a job?

What's more, does working for yourself for an extended period look bad to law schools? I was only making 12/hour out of college, and felt "lucky" to have a job... since then I have been bringing in about a k a week being in business for myself, and have no intent of searching for a job to make half that... will my "empty" resume look bad to law schools?

Panther7

Bronze

Re: Resume (What must you report)

Post by Panther7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:53 pm

logicman86 wrote:Do you have to report every job on your resume. If you have been fired from a job before, do you have to disclose this or can I leave it off my resume as I would if I was applying to a job?

What's more, does working for yourself for an extended period look bad to law schools? I was only making 12/hour out of college, and felt "lucky" to have a job... since then I have been bringing in about a k a week being in business for myself, and have no intent of searching for a job to make half that... will my "empty" resume look bad to law schools?

i have pizza delivery on my resume. simply to show i wasn't afraid to do crap jobs to make my life work, and i did it for 8 months. it's one/two lines compared to the like 10 of my previous job.

General rule: put any job where you had significant responsibility, and put all recent jobs that show you don't go extended periods without working (even if it's just mentioning that you held the job and nothing about it if it sucked).

also, if you're fresh out of school, focus on the academics and classes and extracurriculars you took, if you've been out for a year or more, focus on the jobs.

as for that last part, don't be afraid to show that you have secured income by working for yourself, that looks good, shows initiative. just make sure you explain how you go about doing so in a concise manner.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”