Weather and the T14?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fortissimo

Re: Weather and the T14?

Postby fortissimo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:08 pm

louboutin wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
louboutin wrote:Austin weather - glorious. currently 75 degrees and sunny!!

I hate winters too. I'm probably taking UT with $$$ over NYU.

LOL

I want to work in Texas. Why go to NYU if I have no desire to practice in the East? And for me, money is a factor.

I don't think it's that stupid given those factors. JazzOne is ranked #1 at Texas and cannot find a paying firm job for the summer though. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110501&p=2692488&hilit=number+1+at+texas+firms#p2692488. Just saying...maybe you should PM him.

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:15 pm

fortissimo wrote:
louboutin wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
louboutin wrote:Austin weather - glorious. currently 75 degrees and sunny!!

I hate winters too. I'm probably taking UT with $$$ over NYU.

LOL

I want to work in Texas. Why go to NYU if I have no desire to practice in the East? And for me, money is a factor.

I don't think it's that stupid given those factors. JazzOne is ranked #1 at Texas and cannot find a paying firm job for the summer though. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110501&p=2692488&hilit=number+1+at+texas+firms#p2692488. Just saying...maybe you should PM him.

I did see that, and I know UT isn't as highly ranked as NYU and I may or may not have more opportunities graduating from NYU. But for personal reasons (s/o, family), and like I said - the difference in COA - I think I will take UT, barring a miracle acceptance from S.

As for JazzOne, I am surprised he hasn't been able to find anything, but from what I hear, finding a paid job for the summer after 1L is very rare.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Aeon wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Yes, and unfortunately 2 of them are in the South and another in a not-so-nice location.

I suspect that you would be hard-pressed to find many schools that have warm weather for most of the year that are not in the South. And how is it unfortunate for a school to be located in the South?

pearl_earrings wrote:Honestly, I hear you on the weather issue. I ruled schools out based on weather - didn't even apply to schools like NYU and Michigan because of the cold. If you're going to spend 3 years working super hard, it would be nice to see a little sunshine and greenery out the window of the library.

By your description, it is as if Michigan and NYC have gray skies and rainy/snowy weather all year long. :lol:

lol I know... I'm from the north and know that summers can be absolutely gorgeous. But puffy/insulated/wool coats take up way too much of my closet, even when I'm wearing flip flops.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:54 pm

viking138 wrote:Does it matter if you pick Texas over Columbia? Probably, yes. Does it matter if you pick Stanford or Berkeley over Columbia? Much less likely.

paging crackberry to call out "[insert new, colorful descriptor] anti-stanford trolling"

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Did someone above really say Georgetown has nice weather? As in D.C.? As in the city that was blanketed in 3 feet of snow about a month or two ago?

I mean, I'm a big fan of having all four seasons, but if pleasant weather all year-round is your goal, I don't think D.C. is where you wanna be.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:Did someone above really say Georgetown has nice weather? As in D.C.? As in the city that was blanketed in 3 feet of snow about a month or two ago?

I mean, I'm a big fan of having all four seasons, but if pleasant weather all year-round is your goal, I don't think D.C. is where you wanna be.

lulz True. DC got wayyyyyyyy more snow than Chicago and the Midwest this year...I had to rebook my transfer flight and almost could not leave for winter break cause NO FLIGHTS were going to/out of DC for a week.

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 am

Aeon wrote:By your description, it is as if Michigan and NYC have gray skies and rainy/snowy weather all year long. :lol:

Michigan felt like that after a while. I'm not sure what the reality was, but the default became cold and gray days. Even after the snowiest winter [ever?] in Charlottesville I'd still say without hesitation that the weather is preferable here to Ann Arbor. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ann Arbor, but man... the weather. I too have a slight feeling that I'm "seasonally affected."

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:42 am

romothesavior wrote:Did someone above really say Georgetown has nice weather? As in D.C.? As in the city that was blanketed in 3 feet of snow about a month or two ago?

I think it's worth pointing out that D.C.'s snowfall this winter was the heaviest since the winter of 1898-1899. Not likely to happen again in the next three years. Not impossible, but not at all likely.
That said, it's too muggy in the summers for me anyway!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”