Which law schools have the best LAY prestige? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
qualster

Bronze

Re: What about a degree that will "get me laid" prestige?

Post by qualster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 pm

betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:More importantly, what school has more "getting me laid" prestige? Ha ha ha ha! I mean, am I right people? Heyo!!! But seriously, folks.
None. If a girl is going to choose to sleep with you based on what school you are attending, she's way too nerdy and probably trolling for you to really want it. The money chasers don't want a student, they want someone already making money — so that's out.
They don't consider it an investment or something?

rockchalk86

Silver

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Post by rockchalk86 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:33 pm

I hear the nickname for Michigan's reading room is "the breeding room" because undergrads hang out there hoping to meet a future lawyer. Just a thought

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:I hear the nickname for Michigan's reading room is "the breeding room" because undergrads hang out there hoping to meet a future lawyer. Just a thought
For some reason I actually knew Michigan had a good (declining, of course) law school before I started looking into which schools to apply to. Maybe that's why I'm going there.

I had no idea Northwestern had a law school, or was even a real place. I knew all about Duke (and I'm from the Northwest). I couldn't have told you Emory or Vandy had law schools (or Texas, or Georgetown, or Cornell). I thought Columbia was just a country. Virginia might has well have not existed (feelings on that haven't changed) and the way people talked about Berkeley I thought it must have been as good as Harvard.

If you're worried about lay prestige (or getting laid) it's going to change on a person to person basis based on where they grew up, how much attention they pay to education and schools, and where they are currently living. In other words, it's different for everybody. Now I'm helping keep alive a thread I tried to end earlier so I'll just stop, for now.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:43 pm

The University of Arkansas has great national lay prestige

luhrenzo

Bronze

Post by luhrenzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:08 pm

betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:
betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:More importantly, what school has more "getting me laid" prestige? Ha ha ha ha! I mean, am I right people? Heyo!!! But seriously, folks.
None. If a girl is going to choose to sleep with you based on what school you are attending, she's way too nerdy and probably trolling for you to really want it. The money chasers don't want a student, they want someone already making money — so that's out.
They don't consider it an investment or something?
If a girl was smart enough to make such investment decisions, wouldn't she know that paying upfront in this case isn't the best idea?
your making the assumption she is some what intelligent. as we can see she is not based on the fact she's actually trying to get an MRS degree rather than a JD

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:39 pm

It cant be stopped

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Schools I knew about before college out of the t14:

HYS, Columbia (was dream ugrad), UChicago, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, Duke.

Didn't hear about UVA until I started looking at law schools. Heard of NYU in college, but thought it was TTT before I found out about its law school. Thought Penn was Penn State until friend went to Penn for college. Probably would never have found out the difference otherwise.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:51 pm

wtf is this ongoing interest in lay prestige?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:53 pm

betasteve wrote:
+1000000. Also, just lie. This entire lay prestige thing is baffling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Lay prestige is almost irrelevant, except in the rare case where you're truly indifferent between 2 schools and need something to break the tie. In that case, it wouldn't be crazy to choose, for example, Columbia over NYU, or Penn/Duke over Michigan/Virginia, especially if that school has substantial lay prestige where you'd like to work.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:46 am

I think people are confusing things here. This idea of merit keeps creeping back in. Lay prestige is almost university wide, programs are indistinguishable, and outside of the elite ivy (not even the entire ivy) are almost exclusively based on 1) NCAA Football and, 2) NCAA Basketball.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:09 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Princeton
TITCR

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 am

Oh man! If you want to get laid, go to UCLA! LOL. For real...UCLA has unbelievable lay prestige, although not close to Stanford or Berkeley.

And what about the "Harvard of the Northwest": University of Washington. Outside of the northwest, it's known as a very good university. It's widely considered to be the best thing north of California and west of Chicago. Even in California, it is considered the best option outside of Cali (west of the Mississippi). That's damn good prestige. Consider that it's the best research institution outside of California and not on the east coast.
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 am

Midwest perspective:

a) if the lay[wo]man has a college education of any type:
Harvard, Yale
Stanford, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown
Michigan, Berkeley (oh and most people don't know that Berkeley = Cal), Notre Dame,
NYU

b) if the lay[wo]man has no real education
Harvard, Yale, Cornell
Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Georgetown
Michigan

No one hear really knows anything about UVa. Most people don't know what Penn is, either. A shocking amount of people have never heard of Vanderbilt or WUSTL (I actually had never heard of Vandy or WashU before senior year of HS either). Many people think Chicago = UIC, and many people think Columbia = a small identically-named film/theatre college in Chicago. There is a respect for the Michigan name but most people don't consider it a similar caliber institution to NU because it's public. Duke's lay prestige in this part of the country has pleasantly surprised me.
Last edited by los blancos on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 am

fortissimo wrote:Schools I knew about before college out of the t14:

HYS, Columbia (was dream ugrad), UChicago, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, Duke.

Didn't hear about UVA until I started looking at law schools. Heard of NYU in college, but thought it was TTT before I found out about its law school. Thought Penn was Penn State until friend went to Penn for college. Probably would never have found out the difference otherwise.
How could you think that? NYU is actually a pretty prestigious university as a whole...top-10 b-school, top med school, #1 school of performing arts, top-20 undergrad, top-10 school of continuing ed, etc. What gives?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:24 am

PDaddy wrote:How could you think that? NYU is actually a pretty prestigious university as a whole...top-10 b-school, top med school, #1 school of performing arts, top-20 undergrad, top-10 school of continuing ed, etc. What gives?
I think people automatically equate prestigious schools in the NE as either MIT or Ivies. I never knew NYU was a good school until college. Still, most people here do not consider it on par in prestige with Northwestern or Chicago.

Oh, and people don't care about performing arts prestige.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:28 am

PDaddy wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Schools I knew about before college out of the t14:

How could you think that? NYU is actually a pretty prestigious university as a whole...top-10 b-school, top med school, #1 school of performing arts, top-20 undergrad, top-10 school of continuing ed, etc. What gives?
I'm speaking from a "western region" perspective. You also need to check your rankings. Its undergrad has never been in the top 25. Its current undergrad rank is 32, lower than any other top 14's. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... ngs/page+2. Its medical school is ranked 31, lower than pretty much every other top 14 that has a medical school. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... h-rankings. Too lazy to check the others. And blancos is right, people don't care about the "performing arts."

If people have even heard of NYU where I am originally from (west), and many haven't, they just think its a rich kids' school.
los blancos wrote: Midwest perspective:

a) if the lay[wo]man has a college education of any type:
Harvard, Yale
Stanford, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown
Michigan, Berkeley (oh and most people don't know that Berkeley = Cal), Notre Dame,
NYU

b) if the lay[wo]man has no real education
Harvard, Yale, Cornell
Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Georgetown
Michigan

No one hear really knows anything about UVa. Most people don't know what Penn is, either. A shocking amount of people have never heard of Vanderbilt or WUSTL (I actually had never heard of Vandy or WashU before senior year of HS either). Many people think Chicago = UIC, and many people think Columbia = a small identically-named film/theatre college in Chicago. There is a respect for the Michigan name but most people don't consider it a similar caliber institution to NU because it's public. Duke's lay prestige in this part of the country has pleasantly surprised me.
Ditto. I thought WashU meant U-Dub (University of Washington, which has more "lay prestige" than NYU) for the longest time. Most where I am from (west) have not heard of Vandy either. (Only 1 person in my high school class of 450+ headed South for college, and this guy went to Duke. Southern schools except for Duke have ZERO lay prestige out west.) My parents still think UVA is Virginia tech, even after I corrected them multiple times. As for Notre Dame, most people where I'm from think it's a "football school" and not much else. I didn't know its undergrad was t-20 until I was in college.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm

I think Notre Dame has the highest after Harvard and Yale, especially in heavily Catholic, rust belt type areas.

ravens20

Bronze

Post by ravens20 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:22 am

Interesting survey conducted by Princeton Review. It isn't lay prestige exactly, but it at least indicates some lay prestige (since most students and their parents wouldn't dream of going to a school that wasn't prestigious in their eyes). Most of the usual suspects are there.

Top 10 Dream Colleges

For the survey's only fill-in-the-blank question, "What 'dream college' do you wish you (your child) could attend if acceptance or cost weren't issues?", respondents wrote in the names of more than 700 institutions from Alaska Pacific University to Yale.

The schools most named by students as their "Dream Colleges" were:

1. Stanford University
2. Harvard College
3. Columbia University
4. Princeton University
5. New York University
6. Yale University
7. University of California--Los Angeles
8. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
9. University of Southern California
10. University of California--Berkeley

The schools most named by parents as their "Dream Colleges" were:

1. Harvard College
2. Stanford University
3. Princeton University
4. University of Notre Dame
5. Yale University
6. New York University
7. University of California--Los Angeles
8. Duke University
9. University of Southern California/Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Last edited by ravens20 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ravens20

Bronze

Post by ravens20 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 am

irish017 wrote:I think Notre Dame has the highest after Harvard and Yale, especially in heavily Catholic, rust belt type areas.
Yep Notre Dame has a ton of lay prestige. Although it is possible that it has a better reputation amongst older folk. If you look at that Princeton Review survey that I just posted, Notre Dame is right after Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford amongst adults. But it isn't in the top 10 amongst prospective students (though it could obviously still be very highly regarded).
Last edited by ravens20 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:37 am

A Missouri Perspective

Harvard, Yale
Princeton, Stanford
Chicago, WUSTL, Duke
Notre Dame, Northwestern
Big Public Schools with Good Sports Programs i.e. Big 12, Big 10, Big East, Pac 10

LoL, one of my best friends in high school told me one day that one of her other good friends just got accepted to Penn State...turned out the girl was going to UPenn lol big difference to the educates...yet not to the lay person.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 am

its funny, cause when i wear my michigan sweatshirt, ive had people on wall street yell at me go blue and i have had bums on the street yell at me go blue. If that isnt lay prestige, I dont know what is. And Notre Dame Sucks...

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 am

Notre Dame is amazingly respected by everyone I've ever met...they put it on par/above Duke and way past schools like Cornell. Ditto with the name "Rutgers" - people think its a private school.

The only schools that I see as universally respected are Harvard & Yale, at least on the East Coast. Georgetown (probably due in part to Meadow on the Sopranos) is right behind them, above schools like Stanford and UVA. Boston College is another school that has huge name rep. Most people do not know BU even exists.

...but you have to realize I go to school in the boonies...the only thing people know about the law around here are their Miranda's...so take it for what its worth.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
betasteve wrote:
+1000000. Also, just lie. This entire lay prestige thing is baffling.
I think people missed a gem here . . . definitely best advice I've ever seen on TLS . . . should be to lay prestige questions what "re-take the LSAT" is to What Are My Chances questions.

Anyway, as long as I'm here. Out of the T14, HY Columbia, Cornell and Gtown are the ones with national lay prestige. Berkeley/UCLA for West coast. The rest sound like TTT state schools, or schools for rich frat d-bags whose parents want them to go to Duke.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:58 pm

dp73816 wrote:Notre Dame is amazingly respected by everyone I've ever met...they put it on par/above Duke and way past schools like Cornell. Ditto with the name "Rutgers" - people think its a private school.

The only schools that I see as universally respected are Harvard & Yale, at least on the East Coast. Georgetown (probably due in part to Meadow on the Sopranos) is right behind them, above schools like Stanford and UVA. Boston College is another school that has huge name rep. Most people do not know BU even exists.

...but you have to realize I go to school in the boonies...the only thing people know about the law around here are their Miranda's...so take it for what its worth.
Meadow went to Columbia in the Sopranos.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”