Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: What about a degree that will "get me laid" prestige?

Postby qualster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 pm

betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:More importantly, what school has more "getting me laid" prestige? Ha ha ha ha! I mean, am I right people? Heyo!!! But seriously, folks.

None. If a girl is going to choose to sleep with you based on what school you are attending, she's way too nerdy and probably trolling for you to really want it. The money chasers don't want a student, they want someone already making money — so that's out.


They don't consider it an investment or something?

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:33 pm

I hear the nickname for Michigan's reading room is "the breeding room" because undergrads hang out there hoping to meet a future lawyer. Just a thought

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby bees » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:I hear the nickname for Michigan's reading room is "the breeding room" because undergrads hang out there hoping to meet a future lawyer. Just a thought


For some reason I actually knew Michigan had a good (declining, of course) law school before I started looking into which schools to apply to. Maybe that's why I'm going there.

I had no idea Northwestern had a law school, or was even a real place. I knew all about Duke (and I'm from the Northwest). I couldn't have told you Emory or Vandy had law schools (or Texas, or Georgetown, or Cornell). I thought Columbia was just a country. Virginia might has well have not existed (feelings on that haven't changed) and the way people talked about Berkeley I thought it must have been as good as Harvard.

If you're worried about lay prestige (or getting laid) it's going to change on a person to person basis based on where they grew up, how much attention they pay to education and schools, and where they are currently living. In other words, it's different for everybody. Now I'm helping keep alive a thread I tried to end earlier so I'll just stop, for now.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby TTTennis » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:43 pm

The University of Arkansas has great national lay prestige

User avatar
luhrenzo
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: What about a degree that will "get me laid" prestige?

Postby luhrenzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:08 pm

betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:
betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:More importantly, what school has more "getting me laid" prestige? Ha ha ha ha! I mean, am I right people? Heyo!!! But seriously, folks.

None. If a girl is going to choose to sleep with you based on what school you are attending, she's way too nerdy and probably trolling for you to really want it. The money chasers don't want a student, they want someone already making money — so that's out.


They don't consider it an investment or something?

If a girl was smart enough to make such investment decisions, wouldn't she know that paying upfront in this case isn't the best idea?


your making the assumption she is some what intelligent. as we can see she is not based on the fact she's actually trying to get an MRS degree rather than a JD

User avatar
RickyRoe
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby RickyRoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:39 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95307&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

STOP THIS


It cant be stopped

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby fortissimo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Schools I knew about before college out of the t14:

HYS, Columbia (was dream ugrad), UChicago, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, Duke.

Didn't hear about UVA until I started looking at law schools. Heard of NYU in college, but thought it was TTT before I found out about its law school. Thought Penn was Penn State until friend went to Penn for college. Probably would never have found out the difference otherwise.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:51 pm

wtf is this ongoing interest in lay prestige?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: What about a degree that will "get me laid" prestige?

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:53 pm

betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:More importantly, what school has more "getting me laid" prestige? Ha ha ha ha! I mean, am I right people? Heyo!!! But seriously, folks.

None. If a girl is going to choose to sleep with you based on what school you are attending, she's way too nerdy and probably trolling for you to really want it. The money chasers don't want a student, they want someone already making money — so that's out.

+1000000. Also, just lie. This entire lay prestige thing is baffling.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby im_blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Lay prestige is almost irrelevant, except in the rare case where you're truly indifferent between 2 schools and need something to break the tie. In that case, it wouldn't be crazy to choose, for example, Columbia over NYU, or Penn/Duke over Michigan/Virginia, especially if that school has substantial lay prestige where you'd like to work.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:46 am

I think people are confusing things here. This idea of merit keeps creeping back in. Lay prestige is almost university wide, programs are indistinguishable, and outside of the elite ivy (not even the entire ivy) are almost exclusively based on 1) NCAA Football and, 2) NCAA Basketball.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:09 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Princeton


TITCR

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby PDaddy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 am

Oh man! If you want to get laid, go to UCLA! LOL. For real...UCLA has unbelievable lay prestige, although not close to Stanford or Berkeley.

And what about the "Harvard of the Northwest": University of Washington. Outside of the northwest, it's known as a very good university. It's widely considered to be the best thing north of California and west of Chicago. Even in California, it is considered the best option outside of Cali (west of the Mississippi). That's damn good prestige. Consider that it's the best research institution outside of California and not on the east coast.
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 am

Midwest perspective:

a) if the lay[wo]man has a college education of any type:
Harvard, Yale
Stanford, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown
Michigan, Berkeley (oh and most people don't know that Berkeley = Cal), Notre Dame,
NYU

b) if the lay[wo]man has no real education
Harvard, Yale, Cornell
Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Georgetown
Michigan


No one hear really knows anything about UVa. Most people don't know what Penn is, either. A shocking amount of people have never heard of Vanderbilt or WUSTL (I actually had never heard of Vandy or WashU before senior year of HS either). Many people think Chicago = UIC, and many people think Columbia = a small identically-named film/theatre college in Chicago. There is a respect for the Michigan name but most people don't consider it a similar caliber institution to NU because it's public. Duke's lay prestige in this part of the country has pleasantly surprised me.
Last edited by los blancos on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby PDaddy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 am

fortissimo wrote:Schools I knew about before college out of the t14:

HYS, Columbia (was dream ugrad), UChicago, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, Duke.

Didn't hear about UVA until I started looking at law schools. Heard of NYU in college, but thought it was TTT before I found out about its law school. Thought Penn was Penn State until friend went to Penn for college. Probably would never have found out the difference otherwise.


How could you think that? NYU is actually a pretty prestigious university as a whole...top-10 b-school, top med school, #1 school of performing arts, top-20 undergrad, top-10 school of continuing ed, etc. What gives?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:24 am

PDaddy wrote:How could you think that? NYU is actually a pretty prestigious university as a whole...top-10 b-school, top med school, #1 school of performing arts, top-20 undergrad, top-10 school of continuing ed, etc. What gives?


I think people automatically equate prestigious schools in the NE as either MIT or Ivies. I never knew NYU was a good school until college. Still, most people here do not consider it on par in prestige with Northwestern or Chicago.

Oh, and people don't care about performing arts prestige.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby fortissimo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:28 am

PDaddy wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Schools I knew about before college out of the t14:

HYS, Columbia (was dream ugrad), UChicago, Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, Duke.

Didn't hear about UVA until I started looking at law schools. Heard of NYU in college, but thought it was TTT before I found out about its law school. Thought Penn was Penn State until friend went to Penn for college. Probably would never have found out the difference otherwise.


How could you think that? NYU is actually a pretty prestigious university as a whole...top-10 b-school, top med school, #1 school of performing arts, top-20 undergrad, top-10 school of continuing ed, etc. What gives?


I'm speaking from a "western region" perspective. You also need to check your rankings. Its undergrad has never been in the top 25. Its current undergrad rank is 32, lower than any other top 14's. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... ngs/page+2. Its medical school is ranked 31, lower than pretty much every other top 14 that has a medical school. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... h-rankings. Too lazy to check the others. And blancos is right, people don't care about the "performing arts."

If people have even heard of NYU where I am originally from (west), and many haven't, they just think its a rich kids' school.

los blancos wrote:Midwest perspective:

a) if the lay[wo]man has a college education of any type:
Harvard, Yale
Stanford, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown
Michigan, Berkeley (oh and most people don't know that Berkeley = Cal), Notre Dame,
NYU

b) if the lay[wo]man has no real education
Harvard, Yale, Cornell
Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Georgetown
Michigan

No one hear really knows anything about UVa. Most people don't know what Penn is, either. A shocking amount of people have never heard of Vanderbilt or WUSTL (I actually had never heard of Vandy or WashU before senior year of HS either). Many people think Chicago = UIC, and many people think Columbia = a small identically-named film/theatre college in Chicago. There is a respect for the Michigan name but most people don't consider it a similar caliber institution to NU because it's public. Duke's lay prestige in this part of the country has pleasantly surprised me.


Ditto. I thought WashU meant U-Dub (University of Washington, which has more "lay prestige" than NYU) for the longest time. Most where I am from (west) have not heard of Vandy either. (Only 1 person in my high school class of 450+ headed South for college, and this guy went to Duke. Southern schools except for Duke have ZERO lay prestige out west.) My parents still think UVA is Virginia tech, even after I corrected them multiple times. As for Notre Dame, most people where I'm from think it's a "football school" and not much else. I didn't know its undergrad was t-20 until I was in college.

irish017
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby irish017 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm

I think Notre Dame has the highest after Harvard and Yale, especially in heavily Catholic, rust belt type areas.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby ravens20 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:22 am

Interesting survey conducted by Princeton Review. It isn't lay prestige exactly, but it at least indicates some lay prestige (since most students and their parents wouldn't dream of going to a school that wasn't prestigious in their eyes). Most of the usual suspects are there.

Top 10 Dream Colleges

For the survey's only fill-in-the-blank question, "What 'dream college' do you wish you (your child) could attend if acceptance or cost weren't issues?", respondents wrote in the names of more than 700 institutions from Alaska Pacific University to Yale.

The schools most named by students as their "Dream Colleges" were:

1. Stanford University
2. Harvard College
3. Columbia University
4. Princeton University
5. New York University
6. Yale University
7. University of California--Los Angeles
8. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
9. University of Southern California
10. University of California--Berkeley

The schools most named by parents as their "Dream Colleges" were:

1. Harvard College
2. Stanford University
3. Princeton University
4. University of Notre Dame
5. Yale University
6. New York University
7. University of California--Los Angeles
8. Duke University
9. University of Southern California/Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Last edited by ravens20 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby ravens20 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 am

irish017 wrote:I think Notre Dame has the highest after Harvard and Yale, especially in heavily Catholic, rust belt type areas.


Yep Notre Dame has a ton of lay prestige. Although it is possible that it has a better reputation amongst older folk. If you look at that Princeton Review survey that I just posted, Notre Dame is right after Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford amongst adults. But it isn't in the top 10 amongst prospective students (though it could obviously still be very highly regarded).
Last edited by ravens20 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
kdw94780
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby kdw94780 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:37 am

A Missouri Perspective

Harvard, Yale
Princeton, Stanford
Chicago, WUSTL, Duke
Notre Dame, Northwestern
Big Public Schools with Good Sports Programs i.e. Big 12, Big 10, Big East, Pac 10

LoL, one of my best friends in high school told me one day that one of her other good friends just got accepted to Penn State...turned out the girl was going to UPenn lol big difference to the educates...yet not to the lay person.

jnorsky
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby jnorsky » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 am

its funny, cause when i wear my michigan sweatshirt, ive had people on wall street yell at me go blue and i have had bums on the street yell at me go blue. If that isnt lay prestige, I dont know what is. And Notre Dame Sucks...

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby dp73816 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 am

Notre Dame is amazingly respected by everyone I've ever met...they put it on par/above Duke and way past schools like Cornell. Ditto with the name "Rutgers" - people think its a private school.

The only schools that I see as universally respected are Harvard & Yale, at least on the East Coast. Georgetown (probably due in part to Meadow on the Sopranos) is right behind them, above schools like Stanford and UVA. Boston College is another school that has huge name rep. Most people do not know BU even exists.

...but you have to realize I go to school in the boonies...the only thing people know about the law around here are their Miranda's...so take it for what its worth.

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: What about a degree that will "get me laid" prestige?

Postby amputatedbrain » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
betasteve wrote:
qualster wrote:More importantly, what school has more "getting me laid" prestige? Ha ha ha ha! I mean, am I right people? Heyo!!! But seriously, folks.

None. If a girl is going to choose to sleep with you based on what school you are attending, she's way too nerdy and probably trolling for you to really want it. The money chasers don't want a student, they want someone already making money — so that's out.

+1000000. Also, just lie. This entire lay prestige thing is baffling.


I think people missed a gem here . . . definitely best advice I've ever seen on TLS . . . should be to lay prestige questions what "re-take the LSAT" is to What Are My Chances questions.

Anyway, as long as I'm here. Out of the T14, HY Columbia, Cornell and Gtown are the ones with national lay prestige. Berkeley/UCLA for West coast. The rest sound like TTT state schools, or schools for rich frat d-bags whose parents want them to go to Duke.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:58 pm

dp73816 wrote:Notre Dame is amazingly respected by everyone I've ever met...they put it on par/above Duke and way past schools like Cornell. Ditto with the name "Rutgers" - people think its a private school.

The only schools that I see as universally respected are Harvard & Yale, at least on the East Coast. Georgetown (probably due in part to Meadow on the Sopranos) is right behind them, above schools like Stanford and UVA. Boston College is another school that has huge name rep. Most people do not know BU even exists.

...but you have to realize I go to school in the boonies...the only thing people know about the law around here are their Miranda's...so take it for what its worth.


Meadow went to Columbia in the Sopranos.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests