Committing to Attend

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
myrockyourrock911

Committing to Attend

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:07 am

In a personal statement or letter of interest, is a "I will attend if admitted" a legally binding statement? I am planning on saying this to a few schools I have not heard back from, but in the event my top choice responds to me via mail the same day one of the other schools do, am I going to face issues later on if I withdraw from a school I made this claim to, despite being admitted?

sibley

Re: Committing to Attend

Postby sibley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:08 am

myrockyourrock911 wrote:In a personal statement or letter of interest, is a "I will attend if admitted" a legally binding statement? I am planning on saying this to a few schools I have not heard back from, but in the event my top choice responds to me via mail the same day one of the other schools do, am I going to face issues later on if I withdraw from a school I made this claim to, despite being admitted?

Can't you just reword it to say that if you are admitted you intend to attend? Or "barring unforeseen circumstances" you will or something?

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 am

I would add the word "intend" just to be "honest."

myrockyourrock911

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:16 am

sibley wrote:
myrockyourrock911 wrote:In a personal statement or letter of interest, is a "I will attend if admitted" a legally binding statement? I am planning on saying this to a few schools I have not heard back from, but in the event my top choice responds to me via mail the same day one of the other schools do, am I going to face issues later on if I withdraw from a school I made this claim to, despite being admitted?

Can't you just reword it to say that if you are admitted you intend to attend? Or "barring unforeseen circumstances" you will or something?

Yup, but does that somehow make it "OK" for me not to attend if admitted? If I don't do that, anyone know of potential repercussions?

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:18 am

myrockyourrock911 wrote:
sibley wrote:

Yup, but does that somehow make it "OK" for me not to attend if admitted? If I don't do that, anyone know of potential repercussions?

That does make it okay for you not to attend. I doubt there will be any repercussions if you don't say it, it's just... a questionable thing to do.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:22 am

It'll make it "OK" because you are being "honest." Emphasis, of course, added to the ""'s.

myrockyourrock911

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:26 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:It'll make it "OK" because you are being "honest." Emphasis, of course, added to the ""'s.

"Thanks."

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:33 am

--ImageRemoved--

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36 am

This is pretty "funny"
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:00 am

myrockyourrock911 wrote:In a personal statement or letter of interest, is a "I will attend if admitted" a legally binding statement? I am planning on saying this to a few schools I have not heard back from

Lying is never a good idea on a law school app.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:21 pm

DukeHopeful wrote:--ImageRemoved--

=D I'm always fixing stuff at work. They spell refrigerator with a D, and tell me to flush the toilet 3 times...and mix up their theyre's

newyorker88 wrote:
myrockyourrock911 wrote:In a personal statement or letter of interest, is a "I will attend if admitted" a legally binding statement? I am planning on saying this to a few schools I have not heard back from

Lying is never a good idea on a law school app.

I've heard adcomms communicate with other schools....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”