Question about UG Schedule Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
myfriendtoldmeimkeen

New

Question about UG Schedule

Post by myfriendtoldmeimkeen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:32 pm

I'm applying this coming cycle and graduating next Spring and am making my class schedule for next year. I was wondering if it would be alright to take a wine tasting class, or would law schools not be happy about this? It would be the one and only class that would not be a "serious" class. Did anybody on here take a wine tasting/ under water basket weaving/ moccasin making class their senior year
Last edited by myfriendtoldmeimkeen on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twopoodles

Bronze

Re: Question about UG Schedule

Post by twopoodles » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:14 pm

I really don't think schools care...but what school do you go to?? geez.

RickyRoe

Bronze

Re: Question about UG Schedule

Post by RickyRoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Are you asking if you we think you will be looked down at because the class revolves around alcohol? No, and I think the question is a little silly. I don't know one lawyer or judge that doesn't enjoy a nice glass of wine, scotch, or whatever. In fact, one of my recommenders was a judge and we discussed wine when I met with him to ask him for the letter.

I don't drink wine often, but I worked in college at a very nice restaurant so I became familiar with many good wines. It always bothered me when a table would spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle and then not know what they are tasting. Here is a tip on how to not look like an asshole: DONT SMELL THE CORK! The waiter will pour you a taste of the wine before pouring for the other guests, smell the wine. The cork you are smelling will smell just like the wine in your glass and the cork itself, it will tell you nothing about the wine that the wine itself wont tell you better. What it will do is show your guests that you are pretentious and don't know what you are talking about.

Also, and this rarely ever happens, never send a bottle back; this will also make you look like a pretentious asshole. The only exceptions are if it wasn't what you ordered or it was corked (contaminated wine). If you don't like the wine once you have tasted it then tough, you pay for your ignorance.

A good knowledge of wine, along with a good golf game, will likely help you in your legal career. My advice is to take the class and actually learn something, don't go just to get a little drunk.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”