Applying for both FT and PT vs. only PT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
william wallace

New

Applying for both FT and PT vs. only PT

Post by william wallace » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Does anyone know what the revision process is if you applied for both the FT and PT programs?

There is a school that I don't have a decent chance of being accepted to the FT program (only about 20% of applicants have scores lower than mine, according to Law School Predictor (LSP) ). However, for the PT program I have higher scores than 71% of the applicants. I fear that my application will be thrown out after being considered for FT. I wonder if I must be on the WL to be considered for the PT program. I am thinking about changing my application to only PT. I don't know if they will review my application for PT if I am thrown out for FT.

I received a PM from a user on this forum which follows:

"I applied to both thinking "hey why not, if I get rejected to FT then they'll look at me PT". However, I don't believe that this was the case, I think they just reviewed me as FT and rejected me without even considering me for PT...not even WL on PT. Looking at the past cycles it seems like they reserve that option to give WL'ed FT applicants a seat in the PT. So if you don't even have good nuff numbers to be WL at FT then you may just be rejected, like me. It may even give you a lil boost since it shows your committed to the PT program and not just settling."

I personally have no problem attending 1L part-time and working to not incur so much debt. I would miss feeling part of the whole FT class, but it is better to be accepted PT than nothing at all. Plus I want to have a job.

I searched the forum for posts on this and found nothing. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Is this something I should ask the admissions office? Is this a loaded question? Would the admissions officers think I'm trying to slip in the back door through the PT program?

Thank you and best of luck!

william wallace

New

Re: Applying for both FT and PT vs. only PT

Post by william wallace » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Anything? Any insight into this?

Maybe I was too long-winded with my first post. Here it goes again:

Looking at the past cycles it seems like admissions officers only reserve the part-time option to give WL'ed FT applicants a seat in the PT. So if you don't even have good enough numbers to be WL at FT then you may just be rejected. It may be a better idea to only apply for PT if you are a long-shot for the FT program.

FREEDOM!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”