Anything that would be more important in your decision now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rand M.

Anything that would be more important in your decision now?

Postby Rand M. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 am

Can any current students possibly talk about factors that have cropped up since you started school that you overlooked (or undervalued) in making your decision? Are there things about potential schools that you would weigh much more heavily now than before? These can be things that are both positive and negative; I am just wondering about some of the potentially underrated factors in the decision process that may pop up in your real law school experience.

Thanks in advance for any worthwhile responses. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, this is just a difficult thing to punch into the search box.

EDIT: I posted this elsewhere a while back, but not enough current students were able to see it.

Kiersten1985

Re: Anything that would be more important in your decision now?

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 am

Money and location.

During the app process, it's all about the ranking and school name. Once you get into places and you start to really crunch the numbers and think about living in certain areas of the country for the next 3 years, it becomes a lot more real. I'm taking those two things into way more consideration now than I ever did.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Money and location.

+1

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:07 pm

good thread idea!!!...have you tried putting it in the forum for current students and then posting the link in admissions?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:good thread idea!!!...have you tried putting it in the forum for current students and then posting the link in admissions?

Hmmm...I forgot all about that section. It would be great if someone (an honourable MOD) would just move it, since I know that people don't like it when you double post.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Money and location.

During the app process, it's all about the ranking and school name. Once you get into places and you start to really crunch the numbers and think about living in certain areas of the country for the next 3 years, it becomes a lot more real. I'm taking those two things into way more consideration now than I ever did.

Well stated.

For me, the thing that became a much bigger deal later in my app cycle was considering where I wanted to practice after law school. When I started, I was prestige-whoring big time, but I always knew I wanted to practice in Ohio. As I got into my cycle and started looking at debt numbers, I really had to question if spending a lot more money for a T14 or T20 was worth it when I'd be looking for jobs in a market that doesn't pay 160k

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”