Poll: Should Legacies Be Given Special Consideration?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should Legacies Be Given An Admissions Boost?

Yes
36%
No
59%
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 263

Fark-o-vision

Re: Poll: Should Legacies Be Given Special Consideration?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:41 am

qualster wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
rad law wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

Or something like that. Whoever argues America is a meritocracy is, well, misinformed. That might be nicest way of saying it. In fact, capitalism, as a principal, directly opposes such a standard. The idea at the core of capitalism is accumulation of capital. Not ability, merit, need, or any other system of identification. Simply the accumulation of capital. It's where so many hard science kids get the game wrong. They assume that because they have the most valuable skills, they'll be the ones rewarded. Absolutely prohibited, prols.

I found a picture of Fark-o-vision. He's throwing a rock on the far right.

Awesome, honestly. Though I'm arguing the opposite somewhat. My great-grandfather was a Huguenot and we've spent generations building our American cache. I'm simply suggesting that those who view capitalism as meritocracy are ignorant of the historical fact. Consider this: We are endeared to those who overcome massive disadvantage not because they define the narrative we live in, but because they defy it. Steve Jobs or Bill Gates aren't interesting because that's the kind of social mobility we expect, but because it's so rare. Capitalism is the acumulation of capital. I don't have a fundamental problem with that. My grandfather worked from the time he was ten. His children didn't work until they were in college. My father could send me to a relatively inexpensive state school. I'll send my son to Stanford.

Where will your son send his son?

Mars U--Number one ranked University in the Galaxy. I'm guessing, anyway. Huge Mars U Troll over here.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:50 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
Mars U--Number one ranked University in the Galaxy. I'm guessing, anyway. Huge Mars U Troll over here.

I've heard that while Mars U has more lay appeal, one might actually receive a better education at PIT (Pluto Institute of Technology). Many just assume that because Pluto isn't really a planet that PIT doesn't have as much galactic appeal and is just more of a solar system school. Not true. Sure, PIT isn't part of the Milky League, but the economics department is top 5 in the galaxy and no Milky can touch it in the sciences. Something to think about.
Last edited by qualster on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 am

Are you kidding me? Let John Arrillaga and Charlie Munger's kids into SLS with a 154/3.4. They're going to deal with the same curve as everyone else. And, let's be honest, they're going to get the best clerkships and biglaw jobs regardless of whether they attend SLS or Santa Clara Law. I just hope they subsidize my need-based aid.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:22 am

qualster wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

I've heard that while Mars U has more lay appeal, one might actually receive a better education at PIT (Pluto Institute of Technology). Many just assume that because Pluto isn't really a planet that PIT doesn't have as much galactic appeal and is just more of a solar system school. Not true. Sure, PIT isn't part of the Milky League, but the economics department is top 5 in the galaxy and no Milky can touch it in the sciences. Something to think about.

True Enough. Maybe, for the money, Callisto State is the best bet.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:25 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
qualster wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

Who could argue? Who among us would be foolish enough as to argue that point?! A Callisto State education is nothing to sneeze at!

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 am

qualster wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
qualster wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

Who could argue? Who among us would be foolish enough as to argue that point?! A Callisto State education is nothing to sneeze at!

Beats SaTTTurn U.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 am

kswiss wrote:
Beats SaTTTurn U.

See what I did there? I took a regular planet name that contained a "t".

Then I capitalized said "T", and added two more, in effect ensconcing the derogatory "TTT" distinction within the name. Hopefully this will make those considering attending that planet angry, or even cause them to be alarmed.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:00 am

kswiss wrote:
kswiss wrote:
Beats SaTTTurn U.

See what I did there? I took a regular planet name that contained a "t".

Then I capitalized said "T", and added two more, in effect ensconcing the derogatory "TTT" distinction within the name. Hopefully this will make those considering attending that planet angry, or even cause them to be alarmed.

Sattturn U has a solid nursing school, but yeah, it is a gravityball factory. If you're going to go to Saturn U, you may as well just save your money and take the $$$$ at Earth Moon Poly.
Last edited by qualster on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:00 am

kswiss wrote:See what I did there? I took a regular planet name that contained a "t".

We get it.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 am

rad law wrote:
kswiss wrote:See what I did there? I took a regular planet name that contained a "t".

We get it.

Did we ruin this thread with jokes that Matt Groening probably wrote and threw away ten years ago?

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:46 am

probably

qualster

Postby qualster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:23 am

kswiss wrote:probably

Should we resurrect this thread?

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:52 am

I desperately want to. And I think you've done a disservice to the students at SaTTTurn U (dang, did it myself). Obviously the overlay between their strong medical, interstellar anatomy, and law programs offers good options to those students who would like to pursue a career in galactic-medical litigation.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:57 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I think you could just as easily argue they deserve less consideration. If we give URMs more consideration because it is considered less likely they will get to law school couldn't a legacy be considered the inverse of this principle?

I don't necessarily feel that way, I'm just saying, legacies pretty much have no ground for "special" consideration.

Then non-URM, non-legacies get hurt. Some people act like every white person's parents went to Harvard.

Legacy preferences are wrong, but they'll stick around because of the $$$.

How many minorities are at Harvard?

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:03 pm

betasteve wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
betasteve wrote:Donations fund the non-governmental financial aid for non-legacies. If you took away the benefit to donors of legacies, what impact might that have on other, more academically qualified, candidates?

The ends justify the means for you.... interesting

Seems to create a net benefit to me.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

qualster

Postby qualster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:15 pm

betasteve wrote:Partisan Troll is partisan.

Dude, betasteve, your last post reminded me of the "The Partisan" by Leonard Cohen. Only because you used the word "partisan" though. I love that song.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:27 pm

fathergoose wrote:This is an arbitrary arguement but if I work my butt off through HS, UG, & LS and then years of big law and I am the one in god knows how many who becomes a big shot, my kid better get special treatment somewhere. Otherwise, what's the point?

You do all that just for a kid? How altruistic of you.

lol yeah right.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:31 pm

betasteve wrote:Add to it me as well. I'm a non-religious republican.

betasteve wrote:
gladiator wrote:Slow news day?

--LinkRemoved--

Well, this only made news because CNN is Obama's backup campaign headquarters...

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I think legacy should be considered in undergrad, but definitely not in grads like law school or med school. IMO, you have to be able to make the cut yourself. If your parents are contributing to the institutions endowment, they are doing so because of the privilege that school gave them not what it will give to their children.

Just my 2 cents :)

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 pm

betasteve wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:

betasteve wrote:Add to it me as well. I'm a non-religious republican.

betasteve wrote:
gladiator wrote:Slow news day?

--LinkRemoved--

Well, this only made news because CNN is Obama's backup campaign headquarters...

You aren't this stupid, right? Partisan troll is different [strike]than[/strike]from comment in the Politics thread.
The economy really is bringing the dumbs to the whole law school idea (and, thus, law school forum).

Fixed. I hope we can be good friends. Have a wonderful day!

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:48 pm

betasteve wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:I think legacy should be considered in undergrad, but definitely not in grads like law school or med school. IMO, you have to be able to make the cut yourself. If your parents are contributing to the institutions endowment, they are doing so because of the privilege that school gave them not what it will give to their children.

What's the difference between undergrad and law school that makes you distinguish it?

Well I was thinking more along the lines that undergraduate degree are almost equivalent to high school degrees and work experience. They just aren't worth as much as they used to be. And, in simply considering a legacy for undergrad, this does not mean that they are given an immediate pass, just that their interest in the school may be weighed differently or even more heavily.

I don't think legacies should ever be weighed in grad schools because these people can potentially run our country one day. It isn't safe or fair to admit someone based on their parent's past abilities...

Mind you, I am totally unbiased with legacies and undergrad because I did not have the advantage of attending a parent's alma mater. just an opinion

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:
betasteve wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:I think legacy should be considered in undergrad, but definitely not in grads like law school or med school. IMO, you have to be able to make the cut yourself. If your parents are contributing to the institutions endowment, they are doing so because of the privilege that school gave them not what it will give to their children.

What's the difference between undergrad and law school that makes you distinguish it?

Well I was thinking more along the lines that undergraduate degree are almost equivalent to high school degrees and work experience. They just aren't worth as much as they used to be. And, in simply considering a legacy for undergrad, this does not mean that they are given an immediate pass, just that their interest in the school may be weighed differently or even more heavily.

I don't think legacies should ever be weighed in grad schools because these people can potentially run our country one day. It isn't safe or fair to admit someone based on their parent's past abilities...

Mind you, I am totally unbiased with legacies and undergrad because I did not have the advantage of attending a parent's alma mater. just an opinion

And if you go to Harvard undergrad, you can't wind up running our country some day? And is being able to run our country the cut off bench mark for this? I don't think Obama's parents went to Harvard Law School... he did alright for himself.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Sure you can, but the general rule of thumb is that most of the leaders of the US have done some form of graduate school. For most, their graduate schools have granted them the degree, experience, and networking abilities to build their career. Of course this excludes Fortune 500 babies who have inherited their share and, in some respects, have influence over the world's interest lol.

Whoa and who said anything about a bench mark for running a country? I don't see what Obama or HLS has to do with this? He went to law school on his own merits without any support from any family. It seems to me that the argument of this thread would be focused on his daughters...

qualster

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:24 am

betasteve wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:Fixed. I hope we can be good friends. Have a wonderful day!

A partisan troll and a grammar nazi. I'm sure you are going to be a great asset to the board. :roll:

P.S. Grammar burns are the second lamest type of burns.

Yeahahaha! An thread fight and Betasteve has been challenged. Come one, come all, witness the verbal jousting!

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:29 am

newyorker88 wrote:
fathergoose wrote:This is an arbitrary arguement but if I work my butt off through HS, UG, & LS and then years of big law and I am the one in god knows how many who becomes a big shot, my kid better get special treatment somewhere. Otherwise, what's the point?

Why can't your kid just work hard? Why should it be handed to him? I thought the US was supposed to be a meritocracy?

US is a democracy, based on popularity, the opposite of a meritocracy, based on individual merits.
Nazi Germany was run as if a meritocracy though,
you want that? how could you

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”