Poll: Should Legacies Be Given Special Consideration? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should Legacies Be Given An Admissions Boost?

Yes
36%
No
59%
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 263

qualster

Bronze

Poll: Should Legacies Be Given Special Consideration?

Post by qualster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:17 am

I know almost nothing about this, but it was brought up in another thread.

Discuss.

fathergoose

Silver

Re: Poll: Should Legacies Be Given Special Consideration?

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 am

At a public school? Absolutely not.

At a private school? Certainly.

If an a school has benefited considerably from a particular alumnae's reputation/success/donations, that alumnae's children should be given special consideration when they apply.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

No, because I'm not a legacy.

Drummingreg

Bronze

Post by Drummingreg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

Yes, legacies earned the right to receive special consideration. People whose parents can pay for their tuition should be given special consideration too.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

I like the idea that a school can be an extension of one's family.

I had a friend in college whose parents were married by a faculty member (and official Reverend). She was like the fifteenth person from her dad's family and the fourth or fifth from her mom's family to go that school. And this is on the West Coast. Kinda cool imo.

But I agree that it is inappropriate in a public school setting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

No, it's an unearned advantage that contributes to racial disparities in higher education.

Drummingreg

Bronze

Post by Drummingreg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:30 am

ITT:"Fuck the proletariat."

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 am

newyorker88 wrote:No, it's an unearned advantage that contributes to racial disparities in higher education.
good point. Hadn't thought about it that way. I don't have any legacies anywhere but I still think if you graduated from a school, became a big shot, and donated a building, your kids should all get special consideration.

Yes it may give a few rich kids an opening they don't deserve but that injustice is small fries compared to the good that comes from donor money.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:34 am

I think you could just as easily argue they deserve less consideration. If we give URMs more consideration because it is considered less likely they will get to law school couldn't a legacy be considered the inverse of this principle?

I don't necessarily feel that way, I'm just saying, legacies pretty much have no ground for "special" consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:38 am

This is an arbitrary arguement but if I work my butt off through HS, UG, & LS and then years of big law and I am the one in god knows how many who becomes a big shot, my kid better get special treatment somewhere. Otherwise, what's the point?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:44 am

fathergoose wrote:This is an arbitrary arguement but if I work my butt off through HS, UG, & LS and then years of big law and I am the one in god knows how many who becomes a big shot, my kid better get special treatment somewhere. Otherwise, what's the point?
The special treatment comes from you and your mountains of $$$ from practicing BigLaw, not from the rest of the country/world.

Utterly stupid post.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 am

fathergoose wrote:This is an arbitrary arguement but if I work my butt off through HS, UG, & LS and then years of big law and I am the one in god knows how many who becomes a big shot, my kid better get special treatment somewhere. Otherwise, what's the point?
Why can't your kid just work hard? Why should it be handed to him? I thought the US was supposed to be a meritocracy?

SimplyC26

New

Post by SimplyC26 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:49 am

newyorker88 wrote:No, it's an unearned advantage that contributes to racial disparities in higher education.

You are assuming that all legacies are white. This is not the case. Like several posters have said, if a private school benefits from a certain alum's name, accomplishments or financial generosity, that person's children should get a boost.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:50 am

betasteve wrote:Donations fund the non-governmental financial aid for non-legacies. If you took away the benefit to donors of legacies, what impact might that have on other, more academically qualified, candidates?

The ends justify the means for you.... interesting

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I think you could just as easily argue they deserve less consideration. If we give URMs more consideration because it is considered less likely they will get to law school couldn't a legacy be considered the inverse of this principle?

I don't necessarily feel that way, I'm just saying, legacies pretty much have no ground for "special" consideration.
Then non-URM, non-legacies get hurt. Some people act like every white person's parents went to Harvard.

Legacy preferences are wrong, but they'll stick around because of the $$$.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
The special treatment comes from you and your mountains of $$$ from practicing BigLaw, not from the rest of the country/world.

Utterly stupid post.
that's clearly what I said in an earlier post. money talks, as well it should. That's all I'm saying.

And America is absolutley a meritocracy. I dislike rich kids coasting by on daddys/mommys money as much as the next guy, but I appreciate it as a necessary evil.

Thanks for heart warming response

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 am

SimplyC26 wrote:

You are assuming that all legacies are white. This is not the case. Like several posters have said, if a private school benefits from a certain alum's name, accomplishments or financial generosity, that person's children should get a boost.
Not true at all. I'm just assessing this matter with the facts of this country in mind. Whites have received a huge head start in this country through slavery, genocide against native americans, and racial oppression for hundreds of years. That's not an assumption but a fact. Legacy is a way for those that received that head start to give their descendants a head start as well.

and why do you feel the children are entitled to a boost?. and please just give your opinion don't speak for "several posters". everyone is capable of speaking for themselves.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:54 am

newyorker88 wrote:
Why can't your kid just work hard? Why should it be handed to him? I thought the US was supposed to be a meritocracy?
+1

What you're discussing is capitalism gone awry. When too many people buy their way out of the meritocracy you get an aristocracy and then life starts to suck for everyone else. Merely practicing in BigLaw for 20+ years and making loads of cash I don't consider rare enough or lucrative enough to purchase your way out of the US' meritocracy. For this your last name may need to be Gates or Buffet, then and only then, do i consider giving you special consideration to my law school. And If I'm a top 20 LS, I have more respect for myself and admit based on normal criteria.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:57 am

betasteve wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
betasteve wrote:Donations fund the non-governmental financial aid for non-legacies. If you took away the benefit to donors of legacies, what impact might that have on other, more academically qualified, candidates?

I mean, think about it this way. Let's say in a class of 180, there are 5 legacies of big time donors to scholarship funds that have no business being there. People are pissed because those 5 people had an unfair advantage, and thus we are having this discussion. If you don't let the 5 in, the scholarship money pool shrinks. Less students get less aid.

Would we be having this discussion if, instead of having to take 5 legacies, the school could shrink its class size to 175 to be able to maintain the same amount of scholly money?
+1

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:59 am

Dick Whitman wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I think you could just as easily argue they deserve less consideration. If we give URMs more consideration because it is considered less likely they will get to law school couldn't a legacy be considered the inverse of this principle?

Then non-URM, non-legacies get hurt. Some people act like every white person's parents went to Harvard.

Legacy preferences are wrong, but they'll stick around because of the $$$.
How do you figure if legacies get less consideration then non-urm / non-legacies get hurt?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:59 am

betasteve wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

I mean, think about it this way. Let's say in a class of 180, there are 5 legacies of big time donors to scholarship funds that have no business being there. People are pissed because those 5 people had an unfair advantage, and thus we are having this discussion. If you don't let the 5 in, the scholarship money pool shrinks. Less students get less aid.

Would we be having this discussion if, instead of having to take 5 legacies, the school could shrink its class size to 175 to be able to maintain the same amount of scholly money?
I'm with Beta.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:01 am

SimplyC26 wrote:

+1 I know a good number of minorities at my school (Ivy) that are legacies. I hope that my children benefit if they decide to attend my alma mater.

I think the number of legacy students is inconsequential to contribute significantly to racial disparities in higher education. That position is analogous to saying URM admissions or AA takes away seats from the majority.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:04 am

Good thread. Interesting question.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:05 am

hiromoto45 wrote:

+1 I know a good number of minorities at my school (Ivy) that are legacies. I hope that my children benefit if they decide to attend my alma mater.

[/quote]

I think a professional school is different than an undergraduate school though on many different levels.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:07 am

fathergoose wrote:Good thread. Interesting question.
Well, I kind of see all sides. Prior to starting the thread, my views were more in line with those of Kobe Teeth and Dick Whitman. I still agree with these guys. Legacy admissions just seem to be unfair, without considering anything else.

However, Beta Steve raises an interesting point. Should the effects of the money contributed be enough enough to warrant a boost? I don't know.
Last edited by qualster on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”