Increase in applicANTS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Increase in applicANTS

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Has there been any recent data released about how many total people have applied for law schools this year? Obviously, applications are up at pretty much every school, but I remember that early on in this cycle, it was because applicants were simply applying to more schools. How many more people are in the total applicant pool this time?

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:26 pm

There were about 20% more LSAT takers for this cycle then the last. Obviously that doesn't directly answer your question, but the increase in total applications was not directly due to some sort of mass freakout where people applied to more schools then in the the past. I am sure that did happen to some extent, but as a result of the aforementioned.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:There were about 20% more LSAT takers for this cycle then the last. Obviously that doesn't directly answer your question, but the increase in total applications was not directly due to some sort of mass freakout where people applied to more schools then in the the past. I am sure that did happen to some extent, but as a result of the aforementioned.


Is that for the whole cycle? Last I read, the increase in LSAT takers was only regarding September.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 pm

JCougar wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:There were about 20% more LSAT takers for this cycle then the last. Obviously that doesn't directly answer your question, but the increase in total applications was not directly due to some sort of mass freakout where people applied to more schools then in the the past. I am sure that did happen to some extent, but as a result of the aforementioned.


Is that for the whole cycle? Last I read, the increase in LSAT takers was only regarding September.


I am not 100% positive, but the last I read was post december LSAT. So based on June, Sept, Oct, and December, it was on target for 20% more.

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby rx3r » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:59 am

Flanker1067 wrote:
I am not 100% positive, but the last I read was post december LSAT. So based on June, Sept, Oct, and December, it was on target for 20% more.


LSAC has all the LSAT administered stats up for the year. They are:

2009-10
June 32,595 12.6%
September 60,746 19.8%
December 50,444 15.6%
February 27,729 -1.3%
Total 171,514 13.3%

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby JCougar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:03 am

rx3r wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:
I am not 100% positive, but the last I read was post december LSAT. So based on June, Sept, Oct, and December, it was on target for 20% more.


LSAC has all the LSAT administered stats up for the year. They are:

2009-10
June 32,595 12.6%
September 60,746 19.8%
December 50,444 15.6%
February 27,729 -1.3%
Total 171,514 13.3%


Interesting.

Now, is that number the total number of test takers for each administration, or the total number of unique takers? FTR, I took the test in September, December and February. I think retakes are becoming more common after more and more schools don't average.

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby rx3r » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:34 am

JCougar wrote:
Interesting.

Now, is that number the total number of test takers for each administration, or the total number of unique takers? FTR, I took the test in September, December and February. I think retakes are becoming more common after more and more schools don't average.


I think it's just number of tests administered, not unique testers.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby JCougar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 am

rx3r wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Interesting.

Now, is that number the total number of test takers for each administration, or the total number of unique takers? FTR, I took the test in September, December and February. I think retakes are becoming more common after more and more schools don't average.


I think it's just number of tests administered, not unique testers.


That's what I assumed. I wonder how many of those takers actually are unique. I'm sure some of that increase has to be accounted for by retakers...the question is how much? I'd say at most, we have 10% more applicants this year. Which seems to be low, given the condition this economy is in. Perhaps people are just extra wary of taking on a ton of debt right now.

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby qualster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:51 am

JCougar wrote:
rx3r wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Interesting.

Now, is that number the total number of test takers for each administration, or the total number of unique takers? FTR, I took the test in September, December and February. I think retakes are becoming more common after more and more schools don't average.


I think it's just number of tests administered, not unique testers.


That's what I assumed. I wonder how many of those takers actually are unique. I'm sure some of that increase has to be accounted for by retakers...the question is how much? I'd say at most, we have 10% more applicants this year. Which seems to be low, given the condition this economy is in. Perhaps people are just extra wary of taking on a ton of debt right now.


I was thinking along the same lines as you, Jcougar. I think the number of retakes has increased dramatically.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby Unitas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:10 am

Dean Pless has said applicant aren't up very much at all. But applications are up greatly.

You can ask him in the law school acceptances... forum

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:41 am

This would all be interesting data for the LSAC to release, albeit pretty useless to us.

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby Sangiovese » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am

Flanker1067 wrote:This would all be interesting data for the LSAC to release, albeit pretty useless to us.


It's not entirely useless. If there is only a minor increase in the number of people applying for law school and the number of applications increased greatly (due to people applying to more schools), then it is logical that there will be increased withdrawals as people choose where they are going to attend. Increased withdrawals means more people will get off waitlists. That is useful information for people who are stuck on a waitlist at their top choice.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby LawandOrder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 am

What an applicANT may look like:

Image

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 am

Did they release the number of LSDAS registrations for the year? That would be more telling than LSAT takers.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:49 am

LawandOrder wrote:What an applicANT may look like:

Image


:lol: i was thinking along the same lines.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby JCougar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:13 am

LawandOrder wrote:What an applicANT may look like:

Image


lolz

Touche.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Increase in applicANTS

Postby JCougar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:14 am

Kakarot wrote:Dean Pless has said applicant aren't up very much at all. But applications are up greatly.

You can ask him in the law school acceptances... forum


I remember him saying that back in November or something, but I was wondering if it still held true.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests