Confused between USC and UCLA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
voice of reason

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby voice of reason » Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 pm

The recent ABA data show 94% of Loyola-LA grads work in CA, and that they work in a total of 10 states.

USC is in 15 states and 82% California.
UCLA is in 22 states and 79% California.
Davis is 13 states, 84% California.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sun May 09, 2010 8:17 pm

voice of reason wrote:The recent ABA data show 94% of Loyola-LA grads work in CA, and that they work in a total of 10 states.

Doesn't explain actual preferences though. Most UCLA/USC/Davis people would stay in CA anyways. The question is who wants to leave the state?

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:19 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
voice of reason wrote:The recent ABA data show 94% of Loyola-LA grads work in CA, and that they work in a total of 10 states.

Doesn't explain actual preferences though. Most UCLA/USC/Davis people would stay in CA anyways. The question is who wants to leave the state?

Well, the crazies, obviously!

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun May 09, 2010 11:00 pm

The differences are so slight that you shouldnt even try to rate one as categorically better than the other.. people on this forum can help you study for the LSAT but do not trust them to tell you the difference between similarly ranked schools. Everything just goes off perception. People on this forum will tell you that Cornell is 10x better than Georgetown, Columbia is 12x better than NYU, UMich is 15x better than Duke and Yale is 20x better than Harvard. All completely wrong.

Cali167

Postby Cali167 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:29 am

I went with USC (over UCLA and Cornell). UCLA and USC are VERY similar schools in almost every way, but I got the impression that the Trojan alumni network was slightly better (which doesn't hurt in a down economy). I am dead set on working in the Bay Area. I went back and forth quite a bit between hastings/davis/USC/UCLA. I'm still not sure if USC's epic placement in L.A. is due to its inability to place elsewhere or the love for L.A. many graduates have (although I suspect the latter). Either way, I think graduating from a T20 school sets you up as a competitive candidate on paper. The rest depends on your ability to network in the area you want to end up.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon May 10, 2010 6:54 am

Mroberts3 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

Well, the crazies, obviously!

Nah, the loonies are the ones that stay. You couldn't pay me to live in Norcal, let alone SoCal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”