Confused between USC and UCLA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:39 pm

It seems fairly unanimous on TLS that UCLA is the superior LA school. However, neither school places well into clerkships and based on the most recent NLJ stats, USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority? Feel free to respond with opinions or one liners, I am just wondering from people who have made this decision.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 pm

UCLA is still the superior school, but its larger class size is hurting ITE. My speculation is that UCLA grads were no-offered in other markets such as NYC and DC to a greater extent than USC, so the NLJ should look better for UCLA in the future.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:51 pm

im_blue wrote:UCLA is still the superior school, but its larger class size is hurting ITE. My speculation is that UCLA grads were no-offered in other markets such as NYC and DC to a greater extent than USC, so the NLJ should look better for UCLA in the future.


Wow, no offense to you because I think it is possible, but that is a pretty weak explanation. I mean, UCLA being more risky (does better when times are good and worse when they're not) is not a great reason to choose it.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
im_blue wrote:UCLA is still the superior school, but its larger class size is hurting ITE. My speculation is that UCLA grads were no-offered in other markets such as NYC and DC to a greater extent than USC, so the NLJ should look better for UCLA in the future.


Wow, no offense to you because I think it is possible, but that is a pretty weak explanation. I mean, UCLA being more risky (does better when times are good and worse when they're not) is not a great reason to choose it.

You have to remember that the most recent NLJ data is from an anomalous year, because a lot of students were caught off-guard by the economic meltdown and waves of deferrals and no-offers. Many NYC-centric schools like NYU took a heavier hit than their peers as a result, but it doesn't mean they were weaker schools. In subsequent years, students will adjust their OCI strategy accordingly. I'm just speculating that UCLA grads who pursued markets outside CA got burned.

User avatar
tallboone
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 12:27 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby tallboone » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority?


UCLA is a better school in terms of academic reputation (which helps for clerkships and academia). But USC certainly has a stronger/more loyal alumni network, which I would assume helps tremendously in a down economy. The two schools are pretty much functionally equivalent in So Cal. If you want anything other than So Cal, UCLA is probably your better bet.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:06 pm

tallboone wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority?


UCLA is a better school in terms of academic reputation (which helps for clerkships and academia). But USC certainly has a stronger/more loyal alumni network, which I would assume helps tremendously in a down economy. The two schools are pretty much functionally equivalent in So Cal. If you want anything other than So Cal, UCLA is probably your better bet.

This. I don't think one year of NLJ data in an anomalous year changes that. Plus I wouldn't exactly call USC 47% vs UCLA 42% (NLJ + clerkships) a crushing win for USC.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Ok, I respect your opinions even if I am not quite convinced. It was more then beat, it wasn't (cheapshot) like when Mich students say they outplaced Duke because they did by .5%, but was more like 15% more of their class. I am not sure if swings like that really happen often, is there data from previous years showing the opposite occuring?


Add: I just looked up NLJ placement data for 2008, and 2007, both years also go to USC.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 am

While I wouldn't underestimate the power of a USC affiliation in the LA community (the wealthy and connected go to USC undergrad), it should be added that UCLA is in Westwood/Bel Air, while USC is in a pretty gross part of town.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby ENGINEERD » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:While I wouldn't underestimate the power of a USC affiliation in the LA community (the wealthy and connected go to USC undergrad), it should be added that UCLA is in Westwood/Bel Air, while USC is in a pretty gross part of town.


Very true but downtown LA is pretty cool and seems to be slowly expanding towards SC. But ya Westwood is pretty awesome and USC is still in the ga-etow.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 am

ENGINEERD wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:While I wouldn't underestimate the power of a USC affiliation in the LA community (the wealthy and connected go to USC undergrad), it should be added that UCLA is in Westwood/Bel Air, while USC is in a pretty gross part of town.


Very true but downtown LA is pretty cool and seems to be slowly expanding towards SC. But ya Westwood is pretty awesome and USC is still in the ga-etow.



Meh. I've lived there. I'm not really sure what's cool about Downtown LA unless you have season tickets at the Staples Center.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Mattalones » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:While I wouldn't underestimate the power of a USC affiliation in the LA community (the wealthy and connected go to USC undergrad), it should be added that UCLA is in Westwood/Bel Air, while USC is in a pretty gross part of town.


Very true but downtown LA is pretty cool and seems to be slowly expanding towards SC. But ya Westwood is pretty awesome and USC is still in the ga-etow.



Meh. I've lived there. I'm not really sure what's cool about Downtown LA unless you have season tickets at the Staples Center.

Speaking Spanish in the streets and getting things for SUPER cheap because of it is pretty damn cool if you ask me :-)

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby SandyC877 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:It seems fairly unanimous on TLS that UCLA is the superior LA school. However, neither school places well into clerkships and based on the most recent NLJ stats, USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority? Feel free to respond with opinions or one liners, I am just wondering from people who have made this decision.


blatant anti-ucla troll from usc

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby jks289 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:29 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:It seems fairly unanimous on TLS that UCLA is the superior LA school. However, neither school places well into clerkships and based on the most recent NLJ stats, USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority? Feel free to respond with opinions or one liners, I am just wondering from people who have made this decision.


blatant anti-ucla troll from usc


This. UCLA is the better school and has the better So-cal rep. USC is a perfectly decent school but in the end it is as regional as Loyola, the name barely carries to San Diego much less Northern California. UCLA will get you anywhere in the West, and in a better economy has a national name. The entire thread it just Flakers attempt to convince people otherwise.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Mattalones wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:While I wouldn't underestimate the power of a USC affiliation in the LA community (the wealthy and connected go to USC undergrad), it should be added that UCLA is in Westwood/Bel Air, while USC is in a pretty gross part of town.


Very true but downtown LA is pretty cool and seems to be slowly expanding towards SC. But ya Westwood is pretty awesome and USC is still in the ga-etow.



Meh. I've lived there. I'm not really sure what's cool about Downtown LA unless you have season tickets at the Staples Center.

Speaking Spanish in the streets and getting things for SUPER cheap because of it is pretty damn cool if you ask me :-)


Probably depends on where you're from. If that's novel to you, then I can see how it would feel adventurous. But if you're from the Southwest, you just refer to that as a bad part of town.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby im_blue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Mattalones wrote:Speaking Spanish in the streets and getting things for SUPER cheap because of it is pretty damn cool if you ask me :-)


Probably depends on where you're from. If that's novel to you, then I can see how it would feel adventurous. But if you're from the [strike]Southwest[/strike] rest of the country, you just refer to that as a bad part of town.

FTFY

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:46 pm

jks289 wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:It seems fairly unanimous on TLS that UCLA is the superior LA school. However, neither school places well into clerkships and based on the most recent NLJ stats, USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority? Feel free to respond with opinions or one liners, I am just wondering from people who have made this decision.


blatant anti-ucla troll from usc


This. UCLA is the better school and has the better So-cal rep. USC is a perfectly decent school but in the end it is as regional as Loyola, the name barely carries to San Diego much less Northern California. UCLA will get you anywhere in the West, and in a better economy has a national name. The entire thread it just Flakers attempt to convince people otherwise.



Hahaha, poor misguided attempts at calling me out. I am from New England, went to college in Boston and have only visited SoCal because my Gparents live there. Thanks for your stubborn "UCLA is better!" type responses. A "down" economy just doesn't explain much because USC outplaces (via NLJ250) in '07 and '08. I agree that UCLA does have the better reputation, as it does win via the Lawyer and Judge rankings and does have a better overall institution. However, if all that does not correlate to job placement for the law schools, then I'll take a prestige hit for a better shot at a job....

Add: for those who began talking about the geography, I have heard from everyone that UCLA is in a much much better area and I don't doubt that. I am just inquiring as to job prospects really. I know there are a number of great threads written by people who live in L.A on neighborhoods and such.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby jks289 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:It seems fairly unanimous on TLS that UCLA is the superior LA school. However, neither school places well into clerkships and based on the most recent NLJ stats, USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority? Feel free to respond with opinions or one liners, I am just wondering from people who have made this decision.


blatant anti-ucla troll from usc


This. UCLA is the better school and has the better So-cal rep. USC is a perfectly decent school but in the end it is as regional as Loyola, the name barely carries to San Diego much less Northern California. UCLA will get you anywhere in the West, and in a better economy has a national name. The entire thread it just Flakers attempt to convince people otherwise.



Hahaha, poor misguided attempts at calling me out. I am from New England, went to college in Boston and have only visited SoCal because my Gparents live there. Thanks for your stubborn "UCLA is better!" type responses. A "down" economy just doesn't explain much because USC outplaces (via NLJ250) in '07 and '08. I agree that UCLA does have the better reputation, as it does win via the Lawyer and Judge rankings and does have a better overall institution. However, if all that does not correlate to job placement for the law schools, then I'll take a prestige hit for a better shot at a job....


Sorry I just assume anyone who starts a thread saying they are "confused" and then argues against every single "UCLA is better" post must have some kind of agenda. UCLA vs USC isn't something most people are "confused" about, so I am just not sure who you want to convince here.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:52 pm

I see what you mean, I am intentionally pushing this because I am confused as to why UCLA (law) has the better rep. In a way, I am trolling because I want someone to prove my impresson wrong. I am completely open to being convinced, but I would like some data (or personal anecdotes, this is TLS after all) to do it.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby im_blue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:09 pm

As I said above, 47% for USC compared to 42% for UCLA in one year means nothing for job prospects. You'd really have to compare NLJ + clerkship + PI data to be thorough. There's nothing wrong with USC if you're set on LA, but UCLA crushes them anywhere else (even as close as SF and SD).

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby wired » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

55 UCLA grads are registered as Assistant US Attorneys with the California Bar, compared to 34 from USC. Adjusted for class size, UCLA comes out 3% higher in terms of edge for AUSA spots. (# of AUSAs / Entering Class Size for 2009)

Not the end all of government work, but definitely a good measure.

Government work in Cali: UCLA.

(Source: http://californiabar.globl.org/)

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby SandyC877 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I see what you mean, I am intentionally pushing this because I am confused as to why UCLA (law) has the better rep. In a way, I am trolling because I want someone to prove my impresson wrong. I am completely open to being convinced, but I would like some data (or personal anecdotes, this is TLS after all) to do it.


Fair enough. FWIW, If you get the chance, just explore L.A for more than a few days at a time. UCLA shits on USC in so many ways.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Mattalones » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:10 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I see what you mean, I am intentionally pushing this because I am confused as to why UCLA (law) has the better rep. In a way, I am trolling because I want someone to prove my impresson wrong. I am completely open to being convinced, but I would like some data (or personal anecdotes, this is TLS after all) to do it.


Fair enough. FWIW, If you get the chance, just explore L.A for more than a few days at a time. UCLA shits on USC in so many ways.

UCLA is also very dedicated to social justice interest as an institution. The undergrads from underrepresented backgrounds can opt into their own college within the university. The education school, while T5, will only place teachers in the most disadvantaged schools (in Watts, Compton, etc). So, the mission of the university probably plays into admissions decisions, and UCLA probably tends to pick several people who have expressed interest and demonstrated experience in social justice work. The law school has an entire cohort (section) of people who do do public interest - you probably saw the this on the last page of their application if you applied. Those law students apply knowing that they are going to go into PI. It is the also only law school in the nation that has a critical race studied concentration. The focus over there is not nearly as concentrated on getting Biglaw jobs as it is at USC, or most other schools for that matter. UCLA placing less in NLJ250 jobs doesn't have much to do with the options available to its student/graduates. It has more to do with the fact that the student population there just has a more diverse set of interests than you find at many other law schools.

A lot of their "featured professors" do social justice work or are in very academic fields like philosophy. While there are definitely students interested in corporate law, UCLA just isn't the "Biglaw or bust" kind of place.

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Rawlsian » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:39 pm

As a dispassionate observer, these seem to be the arguments I'm reading:

USC places better in big law, however this might be due self-selection--more UCLA students go into public interest.

UCLA has a nicer location.

UCLA has a broader geographic reputation/reach than USC.

UCLA has better academia/clerkship opportunities (if someone could post some data for this, it would be helpful).

Everything else I've read has just been noise.

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby voice of reason » Sun May 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Rawlsian wrote:As a dispassionate observer, these seem to be the arguments I'm reading: [....]

UCLA has better academia/clerkship opportunities (if someone could post some data for this, it would be helpful). [....]


The most recent ABA data for UCLA shows 11 percent of graduates employed as clerks and 3.8 percent employed in academia. For USC, the numbers are 7.5 and 3.7.

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Confused between USC and UCLA

Postby Mroberts3 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:47 pm

jks289 wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:It seems fairly unanimous on TLS that UCLA is the superior LA school. However, neither school places well into clerkships and based on the most recent NLJ stats, USC appears to have crushed UCLA pretty bad. Does this indicate USC's superiority? Feel free to respond with opinions or one liners, I am just wondering from people who have made this decision.


blatant anti-ucla troll from usc


This. UCLA is the better school and has the better So-cal rep. USC is a perfectly decent school but in the end it is as regional as Loyola, the name barely carries to San Diego much less Northern California. UCLA will get you anywhere in the West, and in a better economy has a national name. The entire thread it just Flakers attempt to convince people otherwise.


Hey, 0L heading to USC next year. I won't disagree with the rep of UCLA vs. USC, but from everything I've heard USC will definitely reach San Diego and even Norcal. I'm not trying to start a big argument here but when I was deciding between Davis and USC (even with a preference for Norcal) people said go with USC. I know USC isn't T14 caliber but I don't see how it could be "as regional as Loyola." If there is specific data you are basing your comment off I like to see it so I'm not disappointed when I find myself stuck in socal!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Rosa Parks, sonyco, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests