St. Johns Full time VS Brooklyn, Cardozo, or Fordham PT?! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
finsftball4

New

St. Johns Full time VS Brooklyn, Cardozo, or Fordham PT?!

Post by finsftball4 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 am

hey guys so ive been accepted to St. Johns full time with 10k a yr scholly, and am waiting to here back from Fordham PT ,BK PT and Dozo PT and dont plan on getting any $ from them. I live on Long Island and plan on living at home and commuting so the trip to the city to go to Dozo or the others is far from ideal for me. St. John's was always a top consideration for me and the school is fairly close to my home ( about 30 min w minimal traffic). My question is are those other schools better than St. Johns enough to pass up 10k/yr and a full time acceptance to attend a PT program for full price and then most likely switch over to full time at full price? Im aware of all the up to date school rankings but in the case of these schools do those rankings hold water? Fordham at any price for any program would be very hard to pass up but again the price tag and the commute make it tough to decide. Its getting close and seat deposits at some of these schools amd some are due soon and im really stuck on the fence. Any opinions or suggestions on this? Thanks for the help....
Last edited by finsftball4 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

groundkontrol

Bronze

Re: St. Johns Full time VS Brooklyn, Cardozo, or Fordham PT?!

Post by groundkontrol » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 am

Personally, I'd take Fordham PT. But you haven't gotten into that yet. As it stands, I'd choose SJU with $$$.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:05 pm

What job do you have now?

If you have a good job, Fordham PT is the way to go. Otherwise, follow the money.

finsftball4

New

Post by finsftball4 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:05 pm

i dont currently have a good job... i graduated last semester and since then i have been helping a firend of mine run a small frozen yogurt business that he owns haha. i was waiting to see my results from all my schools before looking for internships and what-not. im really stuck on the fence about all of this decision making so any opinions or reasons would rly go a long way for me....

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:45 pm

You might want to check out St. John's location. It would have been a deal breaker for me if it came down to a difference of 30,000 over 3 years.

You can wait tables with a PT program to make up that difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

finsftball4

New

Post by finsftball4 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 pm

I've spent alot of time in queens with friends during college and the area doesn't really bother me much. I've also heard if you have a car you are fine because u can just stay on campus while you are there and never rly need to be botherd with he surrounding area. The problem with Fordham or even bk for me is the massive commute and the fact that gettin a place to live ontop of already paying full price tuition is mostly like impossible. There are so many variables messing with my decision making ability haha. As it stands I'm guessing the general consensus is the ony program of those I listed worth giving up 10k and full time at sju is Fordham pt? So if I get denied at Fordham, sju should be my first option? ThanX again guys

finsftball4

New

Post by finsftball4 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:28 pm

theres got to be more then 2 people on these forums that can help me out a little bit on this one.... seat deposit deadlines are coming up and decisions are going to be made relatively soon so PLEASE anyones opinion helps me out on this one!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:37 pm

I don't think St. John's gave you enough money to justify taking it, considering how easy it is to switch from Fordham PT to FT. I am a very happy Fordham PT student, and would recommend my program to anyone. Please visit and get a sense of all the schools... talk to students. IMO any of the other schools would have to give you at least $30k a year to make it worthwhile not to go to Fordham, unless you are absolutely certain you don't want to work at a firm, and even then... people change their minds.

logicman86

New

Post by logicman86 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:43 pm

finsftball4 wrote:hey guys so ive been accepted to St. Johns full time with 10k a yr scholly, I also got into BK and Dozo PT with no money and am waiting to here back from Fordham PT still. I live on Long Island and plan on living at home and commuting so the trip to the city is far from ideal for me. St. John's was always a top consideration for me and the school is fairly close to my home ( about 30 min w minimal traffic). My question is are those other schools better than St. Johns enough to pass up 10k/yr and a full time acceptance to attend a PT program for full price and then most likely switch over to full time at full price? Im aware of all the up to date school rankings but in the case of these schools do those rankings hold water? Fordham at any price for any program would be very hard to pass up but again the price tag and the commute make it tough to decide. Its getting close and seat deposits at some of these schools are due soon and im really stuck on the fence. Any opinions or suggestions on this? Thanks for the help....
St. Johns is infamous for giving out a lot money. A lot of people got full schollys there so they took it over Fordham. For only 10k, I'd personally do Fordham. The way I see it is at St. Johns to secure a job, you're going to have to be top third indefinitely, and probably top 10 percent. For only 10k more a year, you're going to a law school that is sooooooooo much more respected if you go to Fordham.

In 30 years once you're partner, nobody is going to care about where you went to law school... but if you're going into big law, the fact you are coming out of St. Johns will be an obstacle for you. In my opinion, coming out of Fordham which is met with at least a semi-impressed face from lawyers is worth 10k a year. It's not like I'm such rich kid talking here either... I was mostly scholarships through undergrad, and am doing loans for law school though. The 10k is definitely worth Fordham to me with little question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolbomber

New

Post by lawschoolbomber » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Definitely Fordham PT if not St. John's Full-Time

AgentOrange80

New

Post by AgentOrange80 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:30 am

I would go with the Cardozo PT over St. John's FT. You would have three 10 hour semesters your first year and if you study your a$$ off, there is no reason you can end up in the top 10-15% of the Cardozo class (since your second and third semesters of 1L year, you are competing with students who have to take an extra 5 hours of classes). And, then you are a full-time student the second and third years anyways.

I don't know enough about the Brooklyn or Fordham PT programs to comment, but I have heard great things about both. I have some friends who did the May program at Cardozo and are 2Ls now and they loved it.

finsftball4

New

Post by finsftball4 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:10 am

again though the commute is a big obstacle for me as far is going into the city everyday to attend cardozo. Fordham id have to break the bank to go there and get a place to live near the bronx just simply because its Fordham. So aside from Fordham does anyone else agree that Cardozo PT at full price and the commute would be better than SJU full time with 10k and much better travel. Ive already eliminated NYLS and Hofstra from contention as they gave me 15k each but I honestly was willing to go to SJU full time for full price before i realized that dozo,bk, and Fordham may be possibilities and now im second guessing if I should take SJU full time for that price. Clearly that is my choice if I dont get into any of the PT programs, but i feel as if there is a good chance I may get into 2 of the 3 and really jam things up for me.... thanx for the opinions, keep em coming!

zimbadimp

New

Post by zimbadimp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 am

I plan on attending Cardozo PT, I heard great things about the program and I want to go to school in the city. I was waitlisted for Fordham PT didnt even apply to St Johns even though I live just a few minutes from the campus. Dont focus so much on the fact that the programs are PT, it wont really matter in the long run (you would probably switch to ft after 1L, cardozo auto switch to ft). If you get accepted to Fordham you should definitely go there. But you should also consider Cardozo over St Johns. Youre probably already going into major debt for law school. I know it sounds crazy but whats another 30 grand?
P.s. LIRR?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

finsftball4

New

Post by finsftball4 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 am

so in ur opinion at equal price cardozo is better enough than sju to do PT their for a year and make the commute to NYC rather than attend SJU. Is there anyone here who thinks attending SJU @10k is a good idea over any of those pt's?

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:24 am

finsftball4 wrote:Fordham id have to break the bank to go there and get a place to live near the bronx just simply because its Fordham.
Fordham Law is in the city in the west 60s, not at the Bronx campus. You could live in Astoria, have a car, and easily take the subway to classes.

LessThanZero

New

Post by LessThanZero » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:29 pm

I understand choosing Fordham over all the others, since I'm pretty sure everyone on these forums think that even if you have to sell your first born child and your commute involves walking on water you should go to Fordham over Brooklyn, Cardozo and St. John's.

However, I don't understand why anyone would strongly recommend Cardozo at full price over St. John's with a $10k/year scholarship and a shorter commute, unless you think you would be happier at Cardozo. I know when you're preparing to take on over $100k in debt, an extra $30k doesn't seem like that much, but I'm sure when you're actually paying off the debt it makes a difference. The commute seems like a personal decision. Personally I know a long commute could hurt my motivation to go to school or stay at school too late. I've heard a lot of students say that, especially for the first year, it helps to be close to campus in order to maximize your study time.

I don't think you should make this decision based on the opinions of a few people on some forum. I would highly recommend visiting the schools you are considering. While a 'feeling' about a school may not be the most important thing, it might help you make a decision between closely ranked schools.

finsftball4

New

Post by finsftball4 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 pm

i kno exactly what "feeling" your talking about because Ive visited St. Johns and Hofstra so far and definately had way more of that feeling at St. Johns. I felt very comfortable there and before even knowing i was admitted I felt a sense of drive and determination that it was where i wanted to be . Granted i have not visited any of the schools i applied PT to but commute definately IS going to be a major factor in my decision making process. Barring me getting into Fordham or getting some $ to Dozo or BK part time, Id say at this point SJU feels like its the fav. for me so far because of the several factors previously discussed. Im not basing my decision on the opinions of those on this forum but hearing others opinions definatly helps and sheds light on other issues and points of view that most people have trouble seeing on their own. Thanks to all of you for the help and please keep it coming! haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”