what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazycanuck

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:People without group projects.

Fuck group projects. I have them in every class.

Lol... real 4.0ers shoulder the entire load for group projects... and provide bulleted notecards telling every other member what to say when the presentation comes. hth

Current situation:

We were assigned groups.
Everyone HAD to show up to the presentation or we lost 50% for each person (so if 2 people didn't show it was a 0)
One guy didn't show.
The other 3 of us went to talk to the teacher about it, considering it was assigned groups, she wouldn't budge on the grade.
Presentation was worth 50% of my grade.

FML.

Sometimes there are things that just can't be controlled affecting the grade.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 pm

acrossthelake wrote:At my school, the type of people with 4.0's are a combination of super smart and super hard-working. I don't know everyone's grades, but skimming through the list of ppl in my year nominated for the honor society, out of those I know(about half of them), I definitely know that they've had to give up a fair number of weekend nights to doing schoolwork. I don't know anyone hear who has decent grades who hasn't had to give up a weekend night here or there. Actually, even the people I know here with subpar grades have had to give up a weekend night here or there.

At my school, the people with the best grades don't (have to) work that hard. Many of them choose to, by taking on more work, honors, etc., but some of the least-hardworking people I know have freakish grades.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:At my school, the type of people with 4.0's are a combination of super smart and super hard-working. I don't know everyone's grades, but skimming through the list of ppl in my year nominated for the honor society, out of those I know(about half of them), I definitely know that they've had to give up a fair number of weekend nights to doing schoolwork. I don't know anyone hear who has decent grades who hasn't had to give up a weekend night here or there. Actually, even the people I know here with subpar grades have had to give up a weekend night here or there.

At my school, the people with the best grades don't (have to) work that hard. Many of them choose to, by taking on more work, honors, etc., but some of the least-hardworking people I know have freakish grades.

Hm, I guess you're right in that sense in that many don't *have to*, but most of them choose to fill in whatever time they save by being super smart with even more work, so they work just as hard as everyone else, they just accomplish more. Like I know this one guy who would study the night before for organic chemistry exams and ace them when people who had been studying for a long time prior would bomb.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Like I know this one guy who would study the night before for organic chemistry exams and ace them when people who had been studying for a long time prior would bomb.

This. The people I know with 4.0's are very efficient with their studying (i.e. don't get distracted) and have amazing study habits. They don't work all the time -- they just work very efficiently.

Note, though, that these people are science majors and engineers. Might be a different situation with non-techies.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:59 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Like I know this one guy who would study the night before for organic chemistry exams and ace them when people who had been studying for a long time prior would bomb.

This. The people I know with 4.0's are very efficient with their studying (i.e. don't get distracted) and have amazing study habits. They don't work all the time -- they just work very efficiently.

Note, though, that these people are science majors and engineers. Might be a different situation with non-techies.

Mm, it works for essay writing too. People really strong in the humanities can write "A" essays very quickly and with little preparation.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:01 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Hm, I guess you're right in that sense in that many don't *have to*, but most of them choose to fill in whatever time they save by being super smart with even more work, so they work just as hard as everyone else, they just accomplish more. Like I know this one guy who would study the night before for organic chemistry exams and ace them when people who had been studying for a long time prior would bomb.

Speaking of this, funny story: friend is taking a really hard final, really smart kid walks in 20 minutes late, scribbles furiously for 20 minutes, walks out, leaving test on desk. Sets curve.

muahawhawhaw

Postby muahawhawhaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Speaking of this, funny story: friend is taking a really hard final, really smart kid walks in 20 minutes late, scribbles furiously for 20 minutes, walks out, leaving test on desk. Sets curve.

Accidentally left the oven on? Hot date? That's ridiculous.

(Shakes fist)

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:12 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:
Accidentally left the oven on? Hot date? That's ridiculous.

(Shakes fist)

Haha, nah. He's one of the "pre-academics," this breed of people that will eventually go on to do research and teach at some top 5 school. They're essentially professionals, not students; they produce work of a higher caliber than the great majority of phds.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:02 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:

You almost have to be like that to do exceptionally well in science majors. I enjoy learning, working, and solving problems. Doing every assignment is actually fun, not work, and it is easier to earn high marks if you enjoy doing everything. I don't think I ever viewed anything at school a chore, a sentiment not shared by my peers. I often go through the whole text book and work through most assignements during the first week of school because it is enjoyable to do so. Like a hobby pretty much.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:You almost have to be like that to do exceptionally well in science majors. I enjoy learning, working, and solving problems. Doing every assignment is actually fun, not work, and it is easier to earn high marks if you enjoy doing everything. I don't think I ever viewed anything at school a chore, a sentiment not shared by my peers. I often go through the whole text book and work through most assignements during the first week of school because it is enjoyable to do so. Like a hobby pretty much.

You are a strange bird, r6_philly :) I love my major, but there have been plenty of times where I have not enjoyed doing a problem set or taking a midterm.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You almost have to be like that to do exceptionally well in science majors. I enjoy learning, working, and solving problems. Doing every assignment is actually fun, not work, and it is easier to earn high marks if you enjoy doing everything. I don't think I ever viewed anything at school a chore, a sentiment not shared by my peers. I often go through the whole text book and work through most assignements during the first week of school because it is enjoyable to do so. Like a hobby pretty much.

You are a strange bird, r6_philly :) I love my major, but there have been plenty of times where I have not enjoyed doing a problem set or taking a midterm.

lol I know I know. Taking a midterm I don't like so much, but doing problem set is pure joy! It's like people like to do sudoku or like to read. I like to solve problems... I also like to teach so count me in as a weird professor type (which I will probably become eventually). I already taught before and I am actively pursuing teaching right now.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:

You guys are both strange... I've never actually enjoyed taking any midterm... except if you count suffering through it without audible sounds of agony..

but seriously, enjoying all your assignments is not necessary for getting good grades

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

lol I know I know. Taking a midterm I don't like so much, but doing problem set is pure joy! It's like people like to do sudoku or like to read. I like to solve problems... I also like to teach so count me in as a weird professor type (which I will probably become eventually). I already taught before and I am actively pursuing teaching right now.

There's something to be said about subjects you just love. I'm in several classes now where I know I don't have to do the reading to get an A in the course, but I love the material(which is why I enrolled in the course), so I just do it all. I'm the same way, r6, with solving problems. I took a low level CS course intended for non-majors last year and loved every moment of it. The programming assignments were so much fun. I'm tempted to take more.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
There's something to be said about subjects you just love. I'm in several classes now where I know I don't have to do the reading to get an A in the course, but I love the material(which is why I enrolled in the course), so I just do it all. I'm the same way, r6, with solving problems. I took a low level CS course intended for non-majors last year and loved every moment of it. The programming assignments were so much fun. I'm tempted to take more.

There is a good chance I will end up teaching that same CS class at my UG while I reapply/defer I hope I have some students like you :) CS is not just problem solving, you can do some neat stuff with it. Last semester, outside of class requirements, I programmed a vending machine change program and a command program to automatically determine routes between set destinations for our little lego robot, pretty cool. It is always enjoyable to make stuff work.

tinman

Postby tinman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:A 4.0/175 is TTT. I have a 4.3/180.

I actually know someone who had at least a 4.2 and a 180. I think it's very unfair to those of us who go to schools where we can only get As and not A+s.

He is the sort of person who likes to party and have a good time.

He comes straight from college, where he was in a frat.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm

It is sort of unfair. If they give out A+ at my school I would have all A+ over the last 60 credits. Having a 4.0+ would help me huge right about now.

edinbourgh

Postby edinbourgh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Being really desperate for it could help in certain situations, too. Having financial issues in the family (but none TOO precarious, such that would make me actually have to take time off or work like crazy) actually helped me work harder and focus better because I was in a position where I really needed a scholarship. First and only semester I ever received a 4.3 fwiw.

Now if I can only translate that to future LSAT scores. :(

dsa1

Postby dsa1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 am

crazycanuck wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:

Lol... real 4.0ers shoulder the entire load for group projects... and provide bulleted notecards telling every other member what to say when the presentation comes. hth

Current situation:

We were assigned groups.
Everyone HAD to show up to the presentation or we lost 50% for each person (so if 2 people didn't show it was a 0)
One guy didn't show.
The other 3 of us went to talk to the teacher about it, considering it was assigned groups, she wouldn't budge on the grade.

FML.

I totally agree with this. Were you a business major?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:20 am

We have group projects too. I went to the professor the first day of class saying I will have the finals project done by midterm and I don't want to be penalized for others slacking. He told me let him know if there are problems. I submitted what I have by midterm. Come the day before the project was due I finally got some half-assed work done by the other team members. They got D's and I got a A on the assignment. It would be unfair to penalize you for your team members' failures. You can't compell them to do the work (I mean, even the professors can't) so I don't know how they can penalize you. I would have gone through every step of grade appeal process to get that grade changed.

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:36 am

4.0 is impossible at my undergrad, especially with our grading system, I FEEL ROBBED

Zatarra

Postby Zatarra » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:58 am

There's something to be said for majoring/focusing in what you like. All of my rubbish grades were non-major courses, but satisfied dreaded 'distribution requirements' at my University freshman year (that's probably why I always toss my major GPAs on my resume as well ;)). Just a B or two can ruin the coveted 4.0 (fortunately, loading up on credits can soften the blow)!

PS - anthonyc -- Hanshin Tiger's avatar on TLS? Small world! (I saw the Tiger's play in Osaka [Koshien] last year).

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 am

As to the A+ thing, my school gave them, but humanities professors essentially never gave them out (it was essentially dependent on the personality of the prof; whereas, for techie courses, they give out a certain number every time).

Another thing which kept people from 4.0s was what kind of high school they went to. I had a TON of catching up to do coming from a very mediocre high school, while the Exonians, etc. were finishing freshman year with 4.2+.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:13 am

If my school gave out A+s it would simply be kick ass. Still, 4.0 is overrated - I'd be perfectly content with a 3.95 which is about what I would have if not for the stupid duel enrolled classes that some evil force made me take in HS.

Sigh.

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 am

tomhobbes wrote:Just kidding, by the way. All it takes is the sort of person who's smart and goes to a bad school or has an easy major.

Or just smart...

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 am

dsa1 wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:

Current situation:

We were assigned groups.
One guy didn't show.

FML.

I totally agree with this. Were you a business major?

Yeah I am in a commerce program with an emphasis on accounting. 4/5 classes has a group project component, and all groups are assigned. Luckily my group is awesome this semester.

Oh I forgot to mention, it's one group for the every group project all semester, so if you get stuck with a bad group, game over.

The presentation in my OP was before I started the program when I was taking the pre-reqs for it.
Last edited by crazycanuck on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”