what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
logicman86

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
logicman86 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:people who will ejaculate in 5 seconds straight because they have never been laid before

If one is smart enough to score a 175 on the LSAT, I'd bet $ they are smart enough to sweet talk any number of college girls into the bedroom.

My 176 doesn't make me any less of a social misfit.

Then it's probable you are not as confident as you ought to be with women. You can offer them what most of our population cannot... a working brain. As long as your other brain works too, you should be doing pretty well in that department.

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:29 pm

On this note, if you ever want your girlfriend to go from all revved up and pushing you onto the bed... to sighing and then checking facebook, all you need to do is talk LSAT.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:31 pm

logicman86 wrote:On this note, if you ever want your girlfriend to go from all revved up and pushing you onto the bed... to sighing and then checking facebook, all you need to do is talk LSAT.

If you ever, ever think about LSAT in that situation (let alone talking about it), you obviously have bigger problems.

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
logicman86 wrote:On this note, if you ever want your girlfriend to go from all revved up and pushing you onto the bed... to sighing and then checking facebook, all you need to do is talk LSAT.

If you ever, ever think about LSAT in that situation (let alone talking about it), you obviously have bigger problems.

If she can talk about how her friend thinks she's hotter than she actually is in the middle of romance, then I can talk about a strict sequencing game. Fair if fair.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 pm

logicman86 wrote:
If she can talk about how her friend thinks she's hotter than she actually is in the middle of romance, then I can talk about a strict sequencing game. Fair if fair.

But if she is indeed hotter, then it should add to the moment (you are with a hotter girl!). I mean maybe thinking she is super hotter than anything else turns her on, it is possible. A sequencing game is going to ... well let's just say if it adds to your moment, then you really have a problem.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm

$1.99 wrote:people who will ejaculate in 5 seconds straight because they have never been laid before

I don't quite qualify, but putting in some hard work on the LSAT + working hard in a relatively easy UG = Profit.

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

I don't quite qualify, but putting in some hard work on the LSAT + working hard in a relatively easy UG = Profit.

It's true. I regret picking my "elite" undergrad over a cuny every day, and the debt that came with it.

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Meaning: your girlfriend is fat.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:09 pm

damn facebook games, my gf loves them more than she loves me

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm

:( now that you know this secret about me, how will i ever face you irl? lol jp

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:18 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Just kidding, by the way. All it takes is the sort of person who's smart and goes to a bad school or has an easy major.

I gotta disagree with the bad school part. Bad schools are mickey mouse and good profs don't teach at bad schools...and if tuition is cheap, they're probably broke and can't give out the marks for schollies.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Some of my professors believes that because incoming student quality is less than ivy standards, there is no reason to expect students to perform as ivy students, therefore they do not give out A's like candy. Less school != easier 4.0 especially if the profs themselves went to great schools.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Thats awesome, wish I could say the same. I had a prof tell us (keep in mind I go to one of the worst ranked Universities not in America) that he taught our course "at a Princeton level. So if you got an A here, you know you could get an A at Princeton!" Laughable.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:03 pm

There is something to be said about confidence building :) I am on the fense which way is the better way to go. It's not nice to sugarcoat things but then destroying a kid's confidence before graduating isn't that great either, plus you will put them at a competitive disadvantage against other TTT school grads that do get 4.0's.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:There is something to be said about confidence building :) I am on the fense which way is the better way to go. It's not nice to sugarcoat things but then destroying a kid's confidence before graduating isn't that great either, plus you will put them at a competitive disadvantage against other TTT school grads that do get 4.0's.

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:15 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
r6_philly wrote:There is something to be said about confidence building :) I am on the fense which way is the better way to go. It's not nice to sugarcoat things but then destroying a kid's confidence before graduating isn't that great either, plus you will put them at a competitive disadvantage against other TTT school grads that do get 4.0's.

--ImageRemoved--

Sorry I flunked out of my ESL class. (I did).

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 pm

pattymac wrote:Thats awesome, wish I could say the same. I had a prof tell us (keep in mind I go to one of the worst ranked Universities not in America) that he taught our course "at a Princeton level. So if you got an A here, you know you could get an A at Princeton!" Laughable.

This may not be so laughable. One of my UNLV (unranked UG) philosophy professors has a Michigan-Columbia-Yale pedigree. To assume that we're not getting the benefit of that (and in some sense being judged similarly) seems unreasonable. Now, whether all students who get an A in his class could do so with a rack of equally challenging classes by professors with ivy credentials is certainly debatable. An A seems reasonable, straight A's much more questionable.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
pattymac wrote:Thats awesome, wish I could say the same. I had a prof tell us (keep in mind I go to one of the worst ranked Universities not in America) that he taught our course "at a Princeton level. So if you got an A here, you know you could get an A at Princeton!" Laughable.

This may not be so laughable. One of my UNLV (unranked UG) philosophy professors has a Michigan-Columbia-Yale pedigree. To assume that we're not getting the benefit of that (and in some sense being judged similarly) seems unreasonable. Now, whether all students who get an A in his class could do so with a rack of equally challenging classes by professors with ivy credentials is certainly debatable. An A seems reasonable, straight A's much more questionable.

For a lot of coursework effort is the major determiner of success. In differential equations, or creative writing natural talent is key, but in a lot of courses average reading, writing and analytical will more than suffice. At that point how much effort put forth is pretty much the key.

I'd assume that getting an A at a really awful college is much easier than at a ivy, but I wouldn't be so sure that getting one at decent public schools is all that much easier than the ivy.

GPA in my opinion is a measurement of how well you can identify what is necessary to succeed, and how well you can make it happen.

Even if a 3.3 at an Ivy could have had a 4.0 at the worst school in America if they did as much work, they still could have applied themselves more. This is especially true if the person has a high LSAT.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Very intelligent people that have their priorities in order.

This is horseshit and false.

Even if it were true, it is possible that a few very intelligent people have priorities like volunteering with mentally handicapped children rather than studying for the lsat and getting perfect grades. Having the priority of finishing college with a 4.0 and getting a 175, while it will help you in law school admissions, is a pretty shitty priority in terms of living your life IMO.

For example, my priorities in college were drinking, women, and having fun (in no particular order). Hilariously I'll probably be going to law school with some of the people that were shooting for a 4.0/175 and missed.

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:

This is where I think you are wrong. A professor can teach material comparable to a princeton level class while still grading on a completely different scale. Even without a formal curve, professors tend to base their grades on the relative performance of the class, making an 'A' much easier to obtain if your class is filled with lower caliber students.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:12 pm

ughOSU wrote:
For example, my priorities in college were drinking, women, and having fun (in no particular order). Hilariously I'll probably be going to law school with some of the people that were shooting for a 4.0/175 and missed.

This is assuming that people with a 4.0 couldn't engage in similar activities. And this assumption would be horribly misguided. It might be just my UG, but I was easily able to do something whenever I wanted. Hell, I never touched a book on a Friday or Saturday night.

But it is pretty easy for people with subpar (by lawl school standards) GPAs to make the excuse that they were just too much fun to achieve such high marks.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 pm

People without group projects.

Fuck group projects. I have them in every class.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 pm

crazycanuck wrote:People without group projects.

Fuck group projects. I have them in every class.

Lol... real 4.0ers shoulder the entire load for group projects... and provide bulleted notecards telling every other member what to say when the presentation comes. hth

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:29 pm

At my school, the type of people with 4.0's are a combination of super smart and super hard-working. I don't know everyone's grades, but skimming through the list of ppl in my year nominated for the honor society, out of those I know(about half of them), I definitely know that they've had to give up a fair number of weekend nights to doing schoolwork. I don't know anyone hear who has decent grades who hasn't had to give up a weekend night here or there. Actually, even the people I know here with subpar grades have had to give up a weekend night here or there.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:34 pm

ughOSU wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Very intelligent people that have their priorities in order.

This is horseshit and false.

Even if it were true, it is possible that a few very intelligent people have priorities like volunteering with mentally handicapped children rather than studying for the lsat and getting perfect grades. Having the priority of finishing college with a 4.0 and getting a 175, while it will help you in law school admissions, is a pretty shitty priority in terms of living your life IMO.

My priorities were largely similar (though substitute men for women). I just realized the diminishing returns of sacrificing enjoyment for better grades/higher LSAT score. I might not get into Yale as a result, but I can live with that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”