what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carlkenneth

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 am

Agree with everything above. Also those that aren't burdened with additional responsibilities (school, work, kids, etc.) or other outside factors that would prevent them from studying, completing papers, etc. Its a privilege to be able to devote oneself 100% to getting into law school.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:00 pm

dsa1 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:A 4.0/175 is TTT. I have a 4.3/180.

what?

you must be a robot then. :evil:

Or a troll :twisted:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:00 pm

It's not magic. I think most people who got a 175+ could've gotten a 4.0 if they had picked a major they had some intuition for and cared about their GPA from day 1. I suspect my brother could pull it off (3.9 so far in physics/math at HYP). He has a natural grasp of the material and is responsible and hard-working, but not some type-A weirdo who studies constantly.

dsa1

Postby dsa1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Cavalier wrote:
dsa1 wrote:

what?

you must be a robot then. :evil:

Or a troll :twisted:

*sigh*
My gullible-ness is no good.

:oops:

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:26 pm

I agree with most everything written, and I'd add that it depends a lot on the grading scale of the school. If they don't give out A+, and especially if they knock you for A-, it can be very tough to get a 4.0. You get a single A- or below at any point and your hopes of a 4.0 are out the window.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 pm

rayiner wrote:It's not magic. I think most people who got a 175+ could've gotten a 4.0 if they had picked a major they had some intuition for and cared about their GPA from day 1. I suspect my brother could pull it off (3.9 so far in physics/math at HYP). He has a natural grasp of the material and is responsible and hard-working, but not some type-A weirdo who studies constantly.

Well, we know you could have done it. :mrgreen: My sister also could, but she won't take the LSAT. She keeps insisting she doesn't want to go to law school, which is a waste of a 3.96 in history/French at a top LAC (without much grade inflation.) The little minx got a 2250 on the SAT without studying at all, or so she claims. I am the dumb one in this family. :oops:

Here's the thing, though: getting in is only the beginning. Turning things around in law school: better late than never. It's something to work on and aspire to.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 pm

rayiner wrote:It's not magic. I think most people who got a 175+ could've gotten a 4.0 if they had picked a major they had some intuition for and cared about their GPA from day 1. I suspect my brother could pull it off (3.9 so far in physics/math at HYP). He has a natural grasp of the material and is responsible and hard-working, but not some type-A weirdo who studies constantly.

This is probably true. I think its fair to say that anyone with a 175+ who doesn't have a 4.0 either didn't really apply themselves 100%, or they picked really personally challenging classes (for some people that means math, for others it means something else).

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Renzo wrote:

This is probably true. I think its fair to say that anyone with a 175+ who doesn't have a 4.0 either didn't really apply themselves 100%, or they picked really personally challenging classes (for some people that means math, for others it means something else).

Change that to 3.8 and I might agree with it. Grading can be capricious. I lost 20% on a test because I couldn't convert octave to a decade (because I didn't know what a decade was). It wasn't even part of the what the course was about (a course about circuits).

I wish I would have picked an easier major, but to be honest I probably would have slacked off anyway.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Renzo wrote:

That's what my little sister did. She knowingly ruined her 4.0 because she wanted to take advanced calculus (not sure what the class was called, but she was interested in it on a personal level.) It was not required for her major, and I told her it was a bad idea. She claims she stopped listening to my advice after I told her to transfer to [where Ray's brother goes], then she called me a colossal hypocrite. :oops:

The moral of this story: try not to have siblings who are 1000x smarter than you are.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Change that to 3.8 and I might agree with it. Grading can be capricious. I lost 20% on a test because I couldn't convert octave to a decade (because I didn't know what a decade was). It wasn't even part of the what the course was about (a course about circuits).

I wish I would have picked an easier major, but to be honest I probably wouldn't have slacked off anyway.

Yeah, I should have qualified that by saying you'd also need to go to an outrageously grade inflating school and avoid professors know for tough grading.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:I agree with most everything written, and I'd add that it depends a lot on the grading scale of the school. If they don't give out A+, and especially if they knock you for A-, it can be very tough to get a 4.0. You get a single A- or below at any point and your hopes of a 4.0 are out the window.

Truth.

My school does both (No A+, most profs give A-). That and a rogue film class B killed my 4.0.

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Honestly I think GPA is all about realizing that GPA is important the first day of your freshman. Not partying. How many upward trend stories do you hear on here?

This. I mean, I got two A-s my freshmen year, and then I realized that I had to buckle down! Now just working on that LSAT...

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:51 pm

$1.99 wrote:people who will ejaculate in 5 seconds straight because they have never been laid before

If one is smart enough to score a 175 on the LSAT, I'd bet $ they are smart enough to sweet talk any number of college girls into the bedroom.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 pm

logicman86 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:people who will ejaculate in 5 seconds straight because they have never been laid before

If one is smart enough to score a 175 on the LSAT, I'd bet $ they are smart enough to sweet talk any number of college girls into the bedroom.

My 176 doesn't make me any less of a social misfit.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm

carlkenneth wrote:Agree with everything above. Also those that aren't burdened with additional responsibilities (school, work, kids, etc.) or other outside factors that would prevent them from studying, completing papers, etc. Its a privilege to be able to devote oneself 100% to getting into law school.

It's more about motivation and time management IMO. I was married with kids and working full time when I got my 4.0. It certainly wasn't a lack of additional responsibilities that allowed me to earn my grades.

As for my unimpressive LSAT... It again comes down to motivation and time management. Only this time I was at the opposite end of the spectrum :mrgreen:

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 pm

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
logicman86 wrote:

My 176 doesn't make me any less of a social misfit.

Talking to the wrong girls. HTH.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Wow I only got two legit A's in college. 4 A-'s. Only 1 D though. I was consistent at least.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Renzo wrote:
dsa1 wrote:what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Asians with loving parents

[/stereotyping]

least for me... :P

for that combination, it just takes having some smarts, plenty of good habits and work ethic, and a pinch of luck

seriously though, having asian parents, while not sufficient, MUST be satisfying some necessary requirements haha
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Me too. I got YPed at Yale so I'm going to Princeton Law.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Renzo wrote:

As someone who got a 175+ on his LSAT, I disagree. There are some schools that haven't given out 4.0s in years, and others where there are a handful of 4.0s handed out per graduating class of several thousand. We tend to think 4.0s are a dime a dozen perusing these boards, but it depends heavily on where you went to school.

I also just generally disagree with the notion that the LSAT is a particularly good determinant of UG success since it doesn't test things like writing ability, math, or memorization-- all things (some moreso than others depending on your major) that are pretty important to doing well at most non-TTT schools.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Renzo wrote:

As someone who got a 175+ on his LSAT, I disagree. There are some schools that haven't given out 4.0s in years, and others where there are a handful of 4.0s handed out per graduating class of several thousand. We tend to think 4.0s are a dime a dozen perusing these boards, but it depends heavily on where you went to school.

I also just generally disagree with the notion that the LSAT is a particularly good determinant of UG success since it doesn't test things like writing ability, math, or memorization-- all things (some moreso than others depending on your major) that are pretty important to doing well at most non-TTT schools.

Is this an attack on my TTTT school?

BTW my TTTT school has VERY harsh grading policies... 3-5 A's (depending on total class size) at most in any class. In fact a professor of mine just adjusted the grading scale to lower the amount of A's in the class to 5 instead of the 10 before. We only have three exams, so this was after only taking the first exam, which is the easiest.
/rant

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Kakarot wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
Renzo wrote:

BTW my TTTT school has VERY harsh grading policies... 3-5 A's (depending on total class size) at most in any class. In fact a professor of mine just adjusted the grading scale to lower the amount of A's in the class to 5 instead of the 10 before. We only have three exams, so this was after only taking the first exam.
/rant

Seeing as how I had no clue where you went to school (or what tier it was in, for that matter), I assure you that it wasn't an attack. I only put that because inevitably someone says something along the lines of "Well, my brother's friend's cousin at Bumfuck State is functionally retarded and he got a 3.8."

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:14 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

BTW my TTTT school has VERY harsh grading policies... 3-5 A's (depending on total class size) at most in any class. In fact a professor of mine just adjusted the grading scale to lower the amount of A's in the class to 5 instead of the 10 before. We only have three exams, so this was after only taking the first exam.
/rant

Seeing as how I had no clue where you went to school (or what tier it was in, for that matter), I assure you that it wasn't an attack. I only put that because inevitably someone says something along the lines of "Well, my brother's friend's cousin at Bumfuck State is functionally retarded and he got a 3.8."

I was just being sarcastic about that part.. kinda like when people say T13 instead of T14... My sarcasim was not very funny if I am explaining it I suppose. :oops:
Last edited by Unitas on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Kakarot wrote:
I was just being sarcastic about that part.. kinda like when people say T13 instead of T14... My sarcasim was not very funny if I am explaining it I suppose. :oops:

We aren't be sarcastic.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”