what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby Mattalones » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:44 pm

By way of example, here is what I have noticed after going through UG, working for several years, and then going through grad school
My frat-house roommate in UG was president of everything and on every cool committee that there was. He F***ed Bi***es, he partied, he double majored, and he minored, and he got a 3.98 in UG. My ex was the same way. What I learned from them was that it comes down to time management and an internal drive to plan everything out so that you can get it all done, on time, and done well. I don't think my "natural ability" approach was quite as good, even though it got me through pretty well. Having those strong planning and time management skills will get people much further than natural ability alone. I have noticed the same thing in the work force too. There have been many people who cannot analyze as well as I can, or who are not quite as articulate or friendly as I can be, but the people who can just naturally be MAD on-top-of-their-shit in a way that doesn't stress them out much are the ones who will turn out to be the superstars. While they do have to be very bight people, this will happen even if they aren't the most naturally intelligent (there are fields like math where it takes very high degrees of both, but most things including law will lend success to the kind of people I described).
Last edited by Mattalones on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby ughOSU » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Still don't know what either of you are referring to or trying to prove, but whatever... I'm over this thread.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:50 pm

I was actually just thinking about that at work today ^^^ (mattalones). It is so hard to tell who is actually really smart because nearly every job doesn't require that talent, but being productive and successful does require great time management skills and they are the ones who stand out at my work. I also think, though, that "naturally smart" people can learn those skills (I am hoping).

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby Mattalones » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I was actually just thinking about that at work today ^^^ (mattalones). It is so hard to tell who is actually really smart because nearly every job doesn't require that talent, but being productive and successful does require great time management skills and they are the ones who stand out at my work. I also think though that "naturally smart" people can learn those skills too (I am hoping).

They can, and I did. But it was harder for me to do it than a lot of people because I never saw the need to be so diligent about everything because I was able to skate by my whole life. It wasn't until I saw what a high live self-imposed structure did for people that I decided to make a continual effort to improve myself in that area. To tell you the truth, in my own eyes, the improvements were small relative to the effort it took, but the improvement in the perception and feedback I've gotten from others are what I have noticed the most. When it comes down to it, other people's collective perception of you will get you places, and your own self-perception probably won't.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Mattalones wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I was actually just thinking about that at work today ^^^ (mattalones). It is so hard to tell who is actually really smart because nearly every job doesn't require that talent, but being productive and successful does require great time management skills and they are the ones who stand out at my work. I also think though that "naturally smart" people can learn those skills too (I am hoping).

They can, and I did. But it was harder for me to do it than a lot of people because I never saw the need to be so diligent about everything because I was able to skate by my whole life. It wasn't until I saw what a high live self-imposed structure did for people that I decided to make a continual effort to improve myself in that area. To tell you the truth, in my own eyes, the improvements were small relative to the effort it took, but the improvement in the perception and feedback I've gotten from others are what I have noticed the most. When it comes down to it, other people's collective perception of you will get you places, and your own self-perception probably won't.


Dude you better watch out. This kind of useful insight is new to TLS and it may react poorly. You obviously have some work experience, because you are noting things I am just learning. Are you class '13?

Edit: nevermind, I just saw app year 08', in school?

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
haha, mediocre with a 3.75---sounds like an ivy :wink: (minus one)


Minus one? Wuh? Is it that way at S?



Haha, I wondered if that was going to be confusing. I meant Ivies with the exception of Princeton. The median GPA at S is around 3.3/3.4 last time I checked, so 3.75 is doing fairly well [insert caveat about science/engineering versus humanities/social sciences]

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby Mattalones » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I was actually just thinking about that at work today ^^^ (mattalones). It is so hard to tell who is actually really smart because nearly every job doesn't require that talent, but being productive and successful does require great time management skills and they are the ones who stand out at my work. I also think though that "naturally smart" people can learn those skills too (I am hoping).

They can, and I did. But it was harder for me to do it than a lot of people because I never saw the need to be so diligent about everything because I was able to skate by my whole life. It wasn't until I saw what a high live self-imposed structure did for people that I decided to make a continual effort to improve myself in that area. To tell you the truth, in my own eyes, the improvements were small relative to the effort it took, but the improvement in the perception and feedback I've gotten from others are what I have noticed the most. When it comes down to it, other people's collective perception of you will get you places, and your own self-perception probably won't.


Dude you better watch out. This kind of useful insight is new to TLS and it may react poorly. You obviously have some work experience, because you are noting things I am just learning. Are you class '13?

Edit: nevermind, I just saw app year 08', in school?

Both actually. I put off law school for a couple years to work a few jobs, and spent the most time teaching. :-) So, that will make me class '13, just a little older.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Nice, what school?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:26 am

^ don't forget persistence and preserverance

ConsideringLawSchool
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Mattalones wrote:By way of example, here is what I have noticed after going through UG, working for several years, and then going through grad school
My frat-house roommate in UG was president of everything and on every cool committee that there was. He F***ed Bi***es, he partied, he double majored, and he minored, and he got a 3.98 in UG. My ex was the same way. What I learned from them was that it comes down to time management and an internal drive to plan everything out so that you can get it all done, on time, and done well. I don't think my "natural ability" approach was quite as good, even though it got me through pretty well. Having those strong planning and time management skills will get people much further than natural ability alone. I have noticed the same thing in the work force too. There have been many people who cannot analyze as well as I can, or who are not quite as articulate or friendly as I can be, but the people who can just naturally be MAD on-top-of-their-shit in a way that doesn't stress them out much are the ones who will turn out to be the superstars. While they do have to be very bight people, this will happen even if they aren't the most naturally intelligent (there are fields like math where it takes very high degrees of both, but most things including law will lend success to the kind of people I described).


Absolutely consistent with my experience. If you are organized and passionate, you will find the time to do well all that you do.

User avatar
HiLine
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby HiLine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Very intelligent, very self-disciplined or both.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:20 pm

I love reading your anger and rationalizations. Cheer up buddy.
ughOSU wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:The argument is that you can't assume just because someone has a 4.0 that he/she doesn't ever do anything interesting or have fun.

Not a necessary assumption for my logic to hold true. The only necessary assumption for my argument is that at least part of what is required to get a 4.0 is making getting a 4.0 a priority. Whether or not that's true is debatable, but I think in the vast majority of cases it is true. (outliers would be extremely intelligent people, people with dance majors, and/or people who never take a single class in college that is outside their comfort zone... i.e. an engineering genious taking no english/humanities classes because he cant rite good).

r6_philly wrote:Not to be a douche but I do MUCH more and keep a 4.0 (this time around).

It's possible to preface something with "Not to be a douche...", and still have it be a totally douchey comment... For example, not to be a douche or anything, but I got in at Penn.

I couldn't resist that, good luck in the rest of your cycle.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest