what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazycanuck

Gold

Re: what sort of a person gets a 4.0 and 175+ on lsat?

Post by crazycanuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 am

r6_philly wrote:We have group projects too. I went to the professor the first day of class saying I will have the finals project done by midterm and I don't want to be penalized for others slacking. He told me let him know if there are problems. I submitted what I have by midterm. Come the day before the project was due I finally got some half-assed work done by the other team members. They got D's and I got a A on the assignment. It would be unfair to penalize you for your team members' failures. You can't compell them to do the work (I mean, even the professors can't) so I don't know how they can penalize you. I would have gone through every step of grade appeal process to get that grade changed.
Yep we went through all the appeal process steps. The idea is that we are supposed to demonstrate leadership so that he would show up to the presentation date. The dude has since dropped out. Nothing I could do but take the C.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 am

Yay for only having to do 2 group projects in college!! :D

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 am

acrossthelake wrote:Heh, group projects have been funny for me in college. We're all the type of kids who did all of the work for the entire group in high school all put together and it takes a while for people to get used to the fact that actually, they can trust you to not only get the work done, but get it done well.
crazycanuck wrote:
Yep we went through all the appeal process steps. The idea is that we are supposed to demonstrate leadership so that he would show up to the presentation date. The dude has since dropped out. Nothing I could do but take the C.
That's such bs. I'm sorry, that really sucks. "Demonstrate leadership"? Right....
Preaching to the Choir man. It's ok though, the law schools here in Canada drop my 6 worst semester classes or 3 worst year courses from the GPA so it will just fall into the category of being a dropped class, and I probably won't be doing law school anymore anyway. Accounting is where the fun is at :shock:

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:42 am

acrossthelake wrote:Heh, group projects have been funny for me in college. We're all the type of kids who did all of the work for the entire group in high school all put together and it takes a while for people to get used to the fact that actually, they can trust you to not only get the work done, but get it done well.
Yeah, that too. Other than the anarchist we had (who wrote the paper), it's been easy.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:04 am

acrossthelake wrote:
crazycanuck wrote: Preaching to the Choir man. It's ok though, the law schools here in Canada drop my 6 worst semester classes or 3 worst year courses from the GPA so it will just fall into the category of being a dropped class, and I probably won't be doing law school anymore anyway. Accounting is where the fun is at :shock:
Accounting? Well if that floats your boat I guess.....what are you doing on TLS then? :P

I feel like we've gotten off-topic.

RE: Thread topic.
Super smart people who aren't super lazy.
Certainly not me. I still haven't managed a single 4.0 semester. :lol:
It's funny, because I was so used to being top of the class in high school, yet I feel absolutely mediocre here. I certainly didn't expect this level of rigor in college.
haha, mediocre with a 3.75---sounds like an ivy :wink: (minus one)

logicman86

New

Post by logicman86 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 am

ConMan345 wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Very intelligent people that have their priorities in order.
This is horseshit and false.

Even if it were true, it is possible that a few very intelligent people have priorities like volunteering with mentally handicapped children rather than studying for the lsat and getting perfect grades. Having the priority of finishing college with a 4.0 and getting a 175, while it will help you in law school admissions, is a pretty shitty priority in terms of living your life IMO.

For example, my priorities in college were drinking, women, and having fun (in no particular order). Hilariously I'll probably be going to law school with some of the people that were shooting for a 4.0/175 and missed.
My priorities were largely similar (though substitute men for women). I just realized the diminishing returns of sacrificing enjoyment for better grades/higher LSAT score. I might not get into Yale as a result, but I can live with that.
My priorities in college were largely to sleep with one woman at a time as I am chronically afraid of STD's so I like knowing a lot about where my junk is going before my junk goes in. The moment the drama starts is the moment you move to the next batch of applicants. Ironically, the only woman I have ever successfully interviewed who poses only minimal drama has been post college.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 am

tinman wrote:
Cavalier wrote:A 4.0/175 is TTT. I have a 4.3/180.
I actually know someone who had at least a 4.2 and a 180. I think it's very unfair to those of us who go to schools where we can only get As and not A+s.

He is the sort of person who likes to party and have a good time.

He comes straight from college, where he was in a frat.
Haha, I know exactly who you're talking about. He's a pretty awesome (and brilliant) guy.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Honestly I think GPA is all about realizing that GPA is important the first day of your freshman. [strike]Not[/strike] Mild partying. How many upward trend stories do you hear on here?
Fixed.

Also, who is going to post about a downward trend?
Anecdote: When I got a paper back, the prof wrote the grade dist. by # of students for each letter grade. Out of 123 students, there were 3 As, 30 something Cs, and 20 something Ds and Fs. People all around me were talking about about how they wrote for days on end and how hard the topic was. Even though the thought never crossed my mind until I overheard my classmates' conversations, I though I was screwed because I didn't even read the prompt until the morning of the deadline. As a TA handed me my paper, he held it as I tugged, and he stared at me for a second (I was worried it was the, "We'll talk about you rewriting this" sign). Then, he flashed a short smile at me. When I looked at the grade, I got one of the 3 As.

Moral of the story: You know how you work, so don't get caught up on what works for others. Do what's best for you. People who do are the ones who get good grades :-)
Last edited by Mattalones on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 am

logicman86 wrote:
My priorities in college were largely to sleep with one woman at a time as I am chronically afraid of STD's so I like knowing a lot about where my junk is going before my junk goes in. The moment the drama starts is the moment you move to the next batch of applicants. Ironically, the only woman I have ever successfully interviewed who poses only minimal drama has been post college.
lol?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:22 am

crazycanuck wrote:
r6_philly wrote:We have group projects too. I went to the professor the first day of class saying I will have the finals project done by midterm and I don't want to be penalized for others slacking. He told me let him know if there are problems. I submitted what I have by midterm. Come the day before the project was due I finally got some half-assed work done by the other team members. They got D's and I got a A on the assignment. It would be unfair to penalize you for your team members' failures. You can't compell them to do the work (I mean, even the professors can't) so I don't know how they can penalize you. I would have gone through every step of grade appeal process to get that grade changed.
I'd gone to court. I can't be judged/gauged on peer performance. If the school can't compell the kid to show up at school, no amount of leadership can get him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Actually I would probably went through the challenges BEFORE the grade was issued, like I did with my project. I think that may be different because I see the inherent flaw in the grading process before failing at it.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:52 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
ughOSU wrote: For example, my priorities in college were drinking, women, and having fun (in no particular order). Hilariously I'll probably be going to law school with some of the people that were shooting for a 4.0/175 and missed.
This is assuming that people with a 4.0 couldn't engage in similar activities. And this assumption would be horribly misguided. It might be just my UG, but I was easily able to do something whenever I wanted. Hell, I never touched a book on a Friday or Saturday night.

But it is pretty easy for people with subpar (by lawl school standards) GPAs to make the excuse that they were just too much fun to achieve such high marks.
Yea you're right... I'm basically an idiot who is trying to make excuses for his low grades rather than a varsity athlete who spent 20-45 hours per week on a sport (bimodal distribution depending on out-of-season/in-season) and going out 3-5 nights per week at a well-regarded UG. Do you think you would have the same GPA if you had been doing that? I don't make excuses because my GPA was good enough to get me in at a couple top choices, but would I have had a higher GPA if it had been a priority of mine and I had given up other activities in the pursuit of a 4.0 GPA? I think so.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm

ughOSU wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
ughOSU wrote: For example, my priorities in college were drinking, women, and having fun (in no particular order). Hilariously I'll probably be going to law school with some of the people that were shooting for a 4.0/175 and missed.
This is assuming that people with a 4.0 couldn't engage in similar activities. And this assumption would be horribly misguided. It might be just my UG, but I was easily able to do something whenever I wanted. Hell, I never touched a book on a Friday or Saturday night.

But it is pretty easy for people with subpar (by lawl school standards) GPAs to make the excuse that they were just too much fun to achieve such high marks.
Yea you're right... I'm basically an idiot who is trying to make excuses for his low grades rather than a varsity athlete who spent 20-45 hours per week on a sport (bimodal distribution depending on out-of-season/in-season) and going out 3-5 nights per week at a well-regarded UG. Do you think you would have the same GPA if you had been doing that? I don't make excuses because my GPA was good enough to get me in at a couple top choices, but would I have had a higher GPA if it had been a priority of mine and I had given up other activities in the pursuit of a 4.0 GPA? I think so.
Not to be a douche but I do MUCH more and keep a 4.0 (this time around).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:05 pm

$1.99 wrote:people who will ejaculate in 5 seconds straight because they have never been laid before
+ 1 milllion. LMFAO, bar none the funniest thing I have ever read on this board.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:11 pm

BuckNuts

New

Post by BuckNuts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Not sure about those who get a 4.0 and 175+. But I can unequivocally state that people who get a 4.0 and 170+ piss excellence for a living while simultaneously maintaining one of the greatest social lives in collegiate/post-collegiate history. And yes, the water is cold.

utexas2010

New

Post by utexas2010 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:18 pm

crazycanuck wrote:People without group projects.

Fuck group projects. I have them in every class.

+1...thanks undergrad business program....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Someone who probably shouldn't be going to law school.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:34 pm

acrossthelake wrote:The argument is that you can't assume just because someone has a 4.0 that he/she doesn't ever do anything interesting or have fun.
Not a necessary assumption for my logic to hold true. The only necessary assumption for my argument is that at least part of what is required to get a 4.0 is making getting a 4.0 a priority. Whether or not that's true is debatable, but I think in the vast majority of cases it is true. (outliers would be extremely intelligent people, people with dance majors, and/or people who never take a single class in college that is outside their comfort zone... i.e. an engineering genious taking no english/humanities classes because he cant rite good).
r6_philly wrote:Not to be a douche but I do MUCH more and keep a 4.0 (this time around).
It's possible to preface something with "Not to be a douche...", and still have it be a totally douchey comment... For example, not to be a douche or anything, but I got in at Penn.

I couldn't resist that, good luck in the rest of your cycle.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Whoa whoa whoa.

How has this not been said yet?

Someone who BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT!!!!!!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 pm

ughOSU wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Not to be a douche but I do MUCH more and keep a 4.0 (this time around).
It's possible to preface something with "Not to be a douche...", and still have it be a totally douchey comment... For example, not to be a douche or anything, but I got in at Penn.

I couldn't resist that, good luck in the rest of your cycle.
Well I said it so you should tempt dismissing it for being douchey because what you said is not true. You can do much more and carry a 4.0.

The Penn comment doesn't really do anything, it really isn't douchey at all even if you tried :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:what you said is not true. You can do much more and carry a 4.0.
Never said it couldn't be done :roll:

Read the post.

e: quote for clarity

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:05 pm

ughOSU wrote:
r6_philly wrote:what you said is not true. You can do much more and carry a 4.0.
Never said it couldn't be done :roll:

Read the post.

e: quote for clarity
I read it again. You admit that if you gave up some acitivities you would have been able to get a 4.0. You also stated that bacause you had so many activities, you didn't get a 4.0. So essentially you are saying that you don't have a 4.0 and your reason is that you had many actitivies, and that you didn't really need a 4.0 to get into good schools (irrelevant). So I will restate, you could have gotten a 4.0 with all your activities, and more,so it really isn't a good reason why you don't have a 4.0. Is that less douchey for you?

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:I read it again. You admit that if you gave up some acitivities you would have been able to get a 4.0. You also stated that bacause you had so many activities, you didn't get a 4.0. So essentially you are saying that you don't have a 4.0 and your reason is that you had many actitivies, and that you didn't really need a 4.0 to get into good schools (irrelevant). So I will restate, you could have gotten a 4.0 with all your activities, and more,so it really isn't a good reason why you don't have a 4.0. Is that less douchey for you?
I can't believe I'm engaging in this, but since you're having trouble reading, here are some highlights:
ughOSU wrote:I don't make excuses because my GPA was good enough to get me in at a couple top choices, but would I have had a higher GPA if it had been a priority of mine and I had given up other activities in the pursuit of a 4.0 GPA? I think so.
ughOSU wrote:The only necessary assumption for my argument is that at least part of what is required to get a 4.0 is making getting a 4.0 a priority. Whether or not that's true is debatable, but I think in the vast majority of cases it is true. (outliers would be extremely intelligent people, people with dance majors, and/or people who never take a single class in college that is outside their comfort zone... i.e. an engineering genious taking no english/humanities classes because he cant rite good).
note: the following are assertions you make that aren't true:
"You admit that if you gave up some acitivities you would have been able to get a 4.0"
"You also stated that bacause you had so many activities, you didn't get a 4.0. "
"So essentially you are saying that you don't have a 4.0 and your reason is that you had many actitivies"

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:40 pm

that's not the paragraph I quoted. I only chose to comment on the lastest paragragh you wrote (that I quoted) in which you were a bit upset about how others think you are making excuses about having a subpar GPA. Yes you admitted that your priority was not getting a 4.0, but you also keep adding that "had you wanted you would have", which is what people are challenging. It would be simple if you just say well I didn't care. Then you went on (the paragraph that I did quote, and wanted to comment on) to state that it was not easy to do blah blah blah and still get a 4.0 (which implies a different reason for you having a subpar GPA rather than the first reason you stated, which was not mentioned in that paragraph).

I don't agree that having a lot of stuff to do should be used for a good reason for not having a great GPA. If you stuck to your first reason (that you didn't care), I would not have commented.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”