UCLA UG-Law intro to legal education Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dysuriai

New

UCLA UG-Law intro to legal education

Post by dysuriai » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:36 am

I was shopping around for some courses to take this summer and I found this class taught by a LS prof:

Code: Select all

Course Description:  Lecture, four hours. Preliminary introduction to legal pedagogy and overview of American legal system. Analysis of appellate and U.S. Supreme Court cases and legislative materials to develop foundational law school skills and become familiar with principles of both scholarly and practice-oriented legal analysis. Topics include introduction to case analysis, reading cases, exploring precedent and stare decisis, separation of powers, and statutory interpretation. P/NP or letter grading.
What do you guys think? Hopefully I'll get a better grasp of LS after taking this course. Also it's summer session so I'd imagine anyone in LA area interested can register for this course.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Re: UCLA UG-Law intro to legal education

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:39 am

Couldn't hurt if you really have nothing else to do with your summer . . . doubt it will give you that much of an edge past the first month of law school

I'd spend the time partying personally . . . maybe read a book in my spare time, you've got 3 years of that stuff to look forward to

voice of reason

Bronze

Re: UCLA UG-Law intro to legal education

Post by voice of reason » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:43 am

Sounds interesting enough, but why not take a couple of regular (dare I say real?) classes like constitutional law and sociology of law? You'll read cases (and possibly even be told to brief them, depending on the prof) in an UG con law class. If you want to learn what law school is like, sit in on a couple of law school classes and read a book or two.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”