Shit just got real (UVA Edition) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kohinoor

Gold

Shit just got real (UVA Edition)

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:41 pm

In response to the directive of the attorney general disavowing the authority of the state universities to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation:
To All Students, Faculty Members, and Staff:

I am including a copy of Governor McDonnell's Executive Directive No. 1, which was issued this afternoon. You may receive this document directly from the Governor later tonight. This directive prohibits discrimination against any person (including students and employees) within the public colleges and universities, and grounds this prohibition in Constitutional protections that belong to all of us. Please read the document carefully, and note particularly these sentences in the second paragraph:

"The Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution prohibits discrimination without a rational basis against any class of persons. Discrimination based on factors such as one's sexual orientation or parental status violates the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution. Therefore, discrimination against enumerated classes of persons set forth in the Virginia Human Rights Act or discrimination against any class of persons without a rational basis is prohibited."

Because the public colleges and universities are Executive Branch agencies, this directive applies to the University of Virginia. The Governor's citation of the 14th Amendment (the Equal Protection Clause) moves this issue to the highest level of law in the United States.

Impasses of the kind that the Governor's Executive Directive resolves occur from time to time. They are not commonplace, but of course neither is the combination of wisdom and bravery embedded in the Governor's directive. As impasses are resolved, it is not unusual for the Governor and other state officials to provide implementation guidance. The Governor and others who have worked on these issues throughout the week need to devote their time now to the State's budget crisis and to other matters that must be addressed as the General Assembly wraps up this session's work.

This directive's eloquence and clarity set it apart from many policy statements that come from all sorts of sources. Perhaps needless to say, I am personally grateful to the Governor for it. This had become an uncommonly troubling issue, one that cuts to the core of our common claims to the most fundamental kinds of personal security under the rule of law. Discussion will undoubtedly continue, as it should in a free society that thrives on open discourse. But as rightly alarmed as many of us and I myself were by last week's Attorney General's letter, I was struck through the week by the wisdom and dignity of the discussion that occurred. Let us hope that the subsequent discussion will rise to the level of the model struck in the directive.

I am profoundly grateful to Governor McDonnell, to others who have helped to reason through this matter, and of course to you for the civility and decency with which you have pondered these issues. And thank you for the notes of advice that have come this week.

Best wishes,

John Casteen

Gov. McDonnell's Executive Directive One Issued March 10, 2010

Full text of Governor's directive

STANDARD OF CONDUCT FOR CABINET MEMBERS, EXECUTIVE BRANCH AGENCY HEADS, MANAGERS, SUPERVISORS AND EMPLOYEES CONCERNING EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION

As the chief executive officer for the Commonwealth of Virginia, I hereby establish a standard of conduct to ensure that all cabinet members, Executive Branch agency heads, managers, supervisors and employees understand and enforce state and federal law prohibiting employment discrimination.

Employment discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated by this Administration. The Virginia Human Rights Act recognizes the unlawfulness of conduct that violates any Virginia or federal statute or regulation governing discrimination against certain enumerated classes of persons. The Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution prohibits discrimination without a rational basis against any class of persons.

Discrimination based on factors such as one's sexual orientation or parental status violates the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution. Therefore, discrimination against enumerated classes of persons set forth in the Virginia Human Rights Act or discrimination against any class of persons without a rational basis is prohibited.

Consistent with state and federal law, and the Virginia and United States Constitutions, I hereby direct that the hiring, promotion, compensation, treatment, discipline and termination of state employees shall be based on an individual's job qualifications, merit and performance. No employee of the Executive Branch shall engage in any discriminatory conduct against another employee.

Allegations of any violation of the law or this standard of conduct shall be brought promptly to the attention of the Director of the Department of Human Resource Management for review and corrective action. Any cabinet member, agency head, manager, supervisor or employee who discriminates against a state employee or prospective employee in violation of the law or this standard of conduct shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, ranging from reprimand to termination.

I further direct agency heads to ensure that every manager and supervisor in their respective agency is aware of and enforces this standard of conduct. Civility, fair treatment, and mutual respect shall be the standard of conduct expected in state employment.

Robert F. McDonnell, Governor

President Casteen approved distribution of this message.

YCrevolution

Gold

Re: Shit just got real (UVA Edition)

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Post by SOCRATiC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:09 pm

What is the main point of this passage?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 pm

SOCRATiC wrote:What is the main point of this passage?
Last week Virginia, the state, told schools and companies to discriminate against a lot of people; this week they realized they were being a bunch of idiots and corrected it. Common sense prevailed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BarCliff

New

Post by BarCliff » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:19 pm

And how did "shit just get real?"

The title of this thread has me thinking I might have missed something in the article...

redbutton

New

Post by redbutton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 pm

(sorry the "quote" button wasn't showing up)
Last edited by redbutton on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redbutton

New

Post by redbutton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Last week Virginia, the state, told schools and companies to discriminate against a lot of people; this week they realized they were being a bunch of idiots and corrected it. Common sense prevailed.

Could you elaborate on this?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm

BarCliff wrote:And how did "shit just get real?"

The title of this thread has me thinking I might have missed something in the article...
Honestly, not sure. UVA doesn't appear to have had anything to do with the directive. If this letter had been written prior to the Governor's Executive Directive, it may have meant something special. But as it is UVA just is repeating what they were told, not taking a stand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 pm

redbutton wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Could you elaborate on this?
Yes, here read the article: --LinkRemoved--

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 am

MP: Virginians hate gays and the governor had to tell them "no no."

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 am

Here's the real summary. The AG issued a meaningless statement about a week ago, opining that colleges couldn't have non-discrimination policies that applied to sexual orientation. I argued on this board that the AG lacked authority to make or enforce such a statement. The governor agreed with me and issued an executive order instructing all state agencies not to discriminate in employment.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:33 am

Renzo wrote:Here's the real summary. The AG issued a meaningless statement about a week ago, opining that colleges couldn't have non-discrimination policies that applied to sexual orientation. I argued on this board that the AG lacked authority to make or enforce such a statement. The governor agreed with me and issued an executive order instructing all state agencies not to discriminate in employment.
Proof that elected officials truly do troll TLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:56 pm

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:00 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Renzo wrote:Here's the real summary. The AG issued a meaningless statement about a week ago, opining that colleges couldn't have non-discrimination policies that applied to sexual orientation. I argued on this board that the AG lacked authority to make or enforce such a statement. The governor agreed with me and issued an executive order instructing all state agencies not to discriminate in employment.
Not quite, he issued an executive directive, which does not carry the force of law (the two previous VA governors issued executive orders on the matter).
If it doesn't have the force of law, does that mean it's just a publicity stunt?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:If it doesn't have the force of law, does that mean it's just a publicity stunt?
Exactly. Hence my previous post.
Yes. RC fail on my part.

How awful to think that this still happens in 2010.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:56 pm

YCrevolution wrote:For those who don't know the background, the previous two Democratic governors (Kaine and Warner) signed a similar order at the start of their terms. McDonnell (R) had been waffling on whether to issue the same order again over the past couple of months (since his inauguration), trying to pass the buck off to the General Assembly.

Unfortunately, it's an executive directive and not an executive order.
What are the practical differences between a directive and an order?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Cucinelli is a douche.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:17 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Borhas wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:For those who don't know the background, the previous two Democratic governors (Kaine and Warner) signed a similar order at the start of their terms. McDonnell (R) had been waffling on whether to issue the same order again over the past couple of months (since his inauguration), trying to pass the buck off to the General Assembly.

Unfortunately, it's an executive directive and not an executive order.
What are the practical differences between a directive and an order?
The latter carries legal weight and authority; the former is largely symbolic.
oh that's great :roll:

I got pretty much the same email from my UG's President

The way they talked about the Governor's action seemed to imply that it was a big deal... but if it's largely symbolic well....
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Homophobia rocks!

/sarcasm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?