Cardozo$$ v Brooklyn$$$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trey

Cardozo$$ v Brooklyn$$$

Postby trey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Cardozo with 32k per year or Brooklyn with 39700 per year. The difference will be approximatley 23,000 over three years.

Is there really such a huge difference between the two institutions? Does Cardozo's higher ranking mean much? Is there a difference between job placement?

ANY insight will be greatly appreciated

im_blue

Re: Cardozo$$ v Brooklyn$$$

Postby im_blue » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Cardozo places a little better than Brooklyn, but the difference isn't huge. Are there any class rank stipulations to those scholarships?

lawschoolbomber

Postby lawschoolbomber » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:42 pm

I would take Cardozo. Cardozo does a lot better in term of job placement than Brooklyn. The 23,000 will be offset once you get a job.

Postby 270910 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 am

lawschoolbomber wrote:I would take Cardozo. Cardozo does a lot better in term of job placement than Brooklyn. The 23,000 will be offset once you get a job.*

*assuming you perform better than 80%+ of your classmates

AgentOrange80

Postby AgentOrange80 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:33 am

I agree with im_blue. I would look at the grade restrictions on the two scholarship offers before I made a decision. But, I would agree that Cardozo has a slightly higher placement rate than Brooklyn. The clinical programs and opportunity for journal experience are much more abundant at Cardozo.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:42 am

There is virtually no difference between these schools. Any bump from slightly higher ranking that Cardozo has is offeset by the fact that BLS is much older and has more alumni in the field. I haven't seen the latest numbers but last I looked the difference in job placement was only a percent or two, and neither place very well. Take the fucking money and don't listen to these Dozo trolls who are probably 0Ls.

zapper

Postby zapper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Can somebody point me to data comparing Cardozo's vs Brooklyn's placement? I looked at the NALP website, but I can't find any data that actually names schools. And I've looked at a lot of NYC law firm sites and there seems to be consistently more Brooklyn representation than Cardozo.

Also, AgentOrange - are you getting info on clinical programs and journals from the schools' websites, word of mouth, or somewhere else?

I am potentially facing a similar situation so I am curious too.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Is there really such a huge difference between the two institutions? Does Cardozo's higher ranking mean much? Is there a difference between job placement

Cardozo with 32k per year or Brooklyn with 39700 per year. The difference will be approximatley 23,000 over three years.

Is there really such a huge difference between the two institutions? Does Cardozo's higher ranking mean much? Is there a difference between job placement?

Can anyone tell me how to attach a file? I have the scanned .pdf of employment outcomes that used to be available throughout this forum.

So looking at the chart, Cardozo places a couple percentage points better than Bklyn in biglaw, and adjusted for current outcomes, either school places about top 5% in biglaw. This is because in the gold years the chart indicates something like 13% of Dozo students hit biglaw vs 11% or so of Bklyn. As is commonly referenced (see abovethelaw), SA hiring was down on average 50% this year.

Thus the difference is essentially nothing and you should pick whichever school provides you with the best chance of actually maintaining the scholarship. Both are festering TTTs. You should be proud of these scholarships because they can ensure your life won't be an epic fail even if you cannot get decent employment post-grad. If all things are equal, Bklyn would be a slight savings and you could make your decision based on personal preference or location.
Last edited by SteelReserve on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:13 pm

SteelReserve wrote:
Is there really such a huge difference between the two institutions? Does Cardozo's higher ranking mean much? Is there a difference between job placement

Can anyone tell me how to attach a file? I have the scanned .pdf of employment outcomes that used to be available throughout this forum.

So looking at the chart, Cardozo places a couple percentage points better than Bklyn in biglaw, and adjusted for current outcomes, either school places about top 5% in biglaw. This is because in the gold years the chart indicates something like 13% of Dozo students hit biglaw vs 11% or so of Bklyn. As is commonly referenced (see abovethelaw), SA hiring was down on average 50% this year.

Thus the difference is essentially nothing and you should pick whichever school provides you with the best chance of actually maintaining the scholarship. Both are festering TTTs. You should be proud of these scholarships because they can ensure your life won't be an epic fail even if you cannot get decent employement post-grad. If all things are equal, Bklyn would be a slight savings and you could make your decision based on personal preference or location.

http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/MemberContent ... derid=306#

Thoughts on Cardozo full ride vs schools in the fordham/bc/bu rank at sticker?? I haven't heard back from the latter schools but feel like this is what my decision will come down to.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the numbers. Hopefully one of TLS's gifted # crunchers like Rayiner can get on this thread. Just glancing at these numbers, you can already see the deceitful tactics law schools use. So 9/10 were employed w/n 9 mos. 64% of that 9/10 works in the private sector. 90% of those in the private sector actually reported salary. Then 56% of that 64% (90% of which reported salary) works for firms of 101 or more.

Anyway, I had a few post dinner drinks and so we definitely need a number cruncher like Rayiner to take care of this. I probably messed up just summarizing the stats, so apologies. Even so, remember that class of 2010 and 2011 have been smashed compared to 2009, so even this disapointing data from Cardozo will be more so when adjusted for today's outcomes.

For you Kaydish, Fordham also released 2009 data. Doubtless Fordham places better than Dozo. Fordham would also be a better choice than BU/BC because the NY market is much much larger and Fordham will smoke BU/BC in NYC.

With that in mind, you have to make a decision for yourself on that one. On the spectrum of employment outcome, Fordham occupies the middle ground btw T14 and TTT. Depending on Dozo scholarship conditions, I'd say you have a difficult choice ahead of you and I wish you the best. Fordham is a quality school, but at the same time, a full ride with minimal strings attached would be hard to pass up.

trey

Postby trey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:10 am

SteelReserve wrote:Thanks for the numbers. Hopefully one of TLS's gifted # crunchers like Rayiner can get on this thread. Just glancing at these numbers, you can already see the deceitful tactics law schools use. So 9/10 were employed w/n 9 mos. 64% of that 9/10 works in the private sector. 90% of those in the private sector actually reported salary. Then 56% of that 64% (90% of which reported salary) works for firms of 101 or more.

When i crunched those numbers (and i never do math so there is a good chance i miscalculated) it looks like about 29 percent of cardozo grads work at firms with 101 or more attorneys. That may not be biglaw but it seems like midlaw. Now, I definitely don't believe that 29 percent of grads are getting midlaw or better as these stats would indicate. That would certainly be nice though....

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 am

Keep in mind that 2009 data still reflects people who did OCI before the recession really hit (their 1L year).

I'd also ignore the clinic/externship stuff. I'm guessing that both will let you do pretty much any kind of legit law work as a for-credit externship, and "clinics" are often bullshit.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 am

blsingindisguise wrote:There is virtually no difference between these schools. Any bump from slightly higher ranking that Cardozo has is offeset by the fact that BLS is much older and has more alumni in the field. I haven't seen the latest numbers but last I looked the difference in job placement was only a percent or two, and neither place very well. Take the fucking money and don't listen to these Dozo trolls who are probably 0Ls.

Looking at your sn, it's clear that you're the troll in this thread, d00d. :roll:

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:46 am

I don't try to hide my school. And I would never troll for Brooklyn - it's generally a bad idea to go to either of these schools without very heavy scholarship.

The stats are out there - do you think a 1 or 2% difference in placement is worth over $20,000? I'm just trying to encourage people not to go in wide-eyed and naive. If you prefer Dozo, godspeed. But don't talk out of your ass.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”