Will 1 undergrad academic infraction prevent bar admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jtheace2

New

Will 1 undergrad academic infraction prevent bar admission?

Post by jtheace2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi,

While at undergrad, I made some bad choices, bad grades for awhile, got too caught up in outside influences, blah blah sob story. Anyway, I made the terrible decision to plagarize one paper, and got caught. I was (rightfully) put on 2-semester non-imposed suspension, and was NOT forced to severe ties with the University. Finished my degree, turned grades around, dramatically increased LSAT score, full time employment at good jobs, great references, now applying to law schools.

My question: Will this all be a waste of time? During the moral character part of the bar exam, I will have to admit to this (just like I did when applying to law schools). Anyone have any experience with this, or credible advice? Just to be clear, this is my ONLY infraction, and no criminal/drug/traffic record.

Thank you.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Will 1 undergrad academic infraction prevent bar admission?

Post by Renzo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Call your state bar, or an attorney practicing in your area. They are the only people who can give you any answer that isn't a random guess.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm

+1

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 pm

jtheace2 wrote:Hi,

While at undergrad, I made some bad choices, bad grades for awhile, got too caught up in outside influences, blah blah sob story. Anyway, I made the terrible decision to plagarize one paper, and got caught. I was (rightfully) put on 2-semester non-imposed suspension, and was NOT forced to severe ties with the University. Finished my degree, turned grades around, dramatically increased LSAT score, full time employment at good jobs, great references, now applying to law schools.

My question: Will this all be a waste of time? During the moral character part of the bar exam, I will have to admit to this (just like I did when applying to law schools). Anyone have any experience with this, or credible advice? Just to be clear, this is my ONLY infraction, and no criminal/drug/traffic record.

Thank you.
How is your cycle going?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:26 am

jtheace2 wrote:Hi,

Thank you.
You'll be fine. Just disclose it. And don't repeat it. Something like this will not prevent you from being a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

logicman86

New

Post by logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 am

It will obviously bring down your chances at getting into a given law school. However, I don't see this hurting your chances of passing the bar. Everyone makes a mistake, and by the time you are standing in front of the bar, you'd have made this mistake 5 years ago. People that pass the bar have much more crooked infractions in their past, and you are clearly apologetic about it.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:38 am

I don't have any special knowledge, but I would guess you're fine . . . I've heard stories of people becoming a lawyer after doing much worse things . . . hell, I think Michigan is planning to admit a convicted bank robber

logicman86

New

Post by logicman86 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:20 am

amputatedbrain wrote:I don't have any special knowledge, but I would guess you're fine . . . I've heard stories of people becoming a lawyer after doing much worse things . . . hell, I think Michigan is planning to admit a convicted bank robber
I don't have a problem with that. Just because somebody committed a crime means they cannot pursue a career? We can't expect lawyers to be saints, as long as he has since demonstrated an ability to learn from his mistakes. In fact, one can argue that rebuilding his life following that experience in accordance with the law deems him better qualified to be a lawyer than people who haven't robbed banks. I'm not saying I am going to argue this, but one can.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 am

logicman86 wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:I don't have any special knowledge, but I would guess you're fine . . . I've heard stories of people becoming a lawyer after doing much worse things . . . hell, I think Michigan is planning to admit a convicted bank robber
I don't have a problem with that. Just because somebody committed a crime means they cannot pursue a career? We can't expect lawyers to be saints, as long as he has since demonstrated an ability to learn from his mistakes. In fact, one can argue that rebuilding his life following that experience in accordance with the law deems him better qualified to be a lawyer than people who haven't robbed banks. I'm not saying I am going to argue this, but one can.
I really wasn't trying to make any sort of statement on that . . . just saying that if it didn't stop him, it shouldn't stop OP

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”