Waitlist vs. Scholarship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Papagiorgio

Waitlist vs. Scholarship

Postby Mr. Papagiorgio » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:15 pm

ok, here's the dilemma.

i'm on the waitlist at georgetown, and i have a good feeling that I can get off w/ my additional recs and my LOCI.

i'm in at villanova, and they gave me $15K a year (tuition is about $36K)

i'm in at st. john's, and they gave me a full ride ($42K a year, gone)

georgetown is 12th, nova is 61st, and st. john's is 87th. do i want to shoot for the highest ranked school, or take the money at a lower ranked school? my idea is that i want to graduate with the least amount of debt possible, and i doubt that georgetown will give me any money....so i'm looking at potentially $60K a year, including living expenses....but the big firms recruit heavily there, and I can make incredible connections to further my legal career.

thoughts?

erniesto

Re: Waitlist vs. Scholarship

Postby erniesto » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Put down a deposit at a school you've received money from and plan to attend. Then ride the waitlist at GULC. You can make the decision when the time comes.

Seems like a no brainer.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 pm

I feel that there is too big of a difference between even Nova and Georgetown. If you are talking about 20-30 ranked then the choice would probably be tougher. Did you apply to anything in between? Between nova and st. Johns, personally I don't feel 50-100 the ranking matters as much as your career prospect depends on local connections. Don't know much about St. Johns but nova faces 3 other schools (4 if you count Penn, 5 widener) and the market around here isn't great to begin with. I would opt for the full ride over 15K at nova which is a drop in the bucket.

Gtown would be best, like the above poster said, save your seat at St Johns and ride out the Gtown WL. Unless the scholarship is binding then I don't know what to tell you. I don't know your stats, so I don't know what kind of reach Gtown is, but I would probably wait it out if I was in your shoes. Gtown just has so many more choices of careers and areas after school. I see Gtown grads everywhere. Philly's new DA is a Gtown grad.

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:04 pm

A key difference between the scholarship schools and G-Town is transferability of the degree between locations. If you go to Villanova, prepare to practice in Philadelphia. If you go to St. John's, prepare to work in NYC (and not necessarily in big law). A GULC degree can get you to either of these places or DC or a host of other areas because it's T14. Choose whether you'd rather live in Philadelphia or NYC post-grad and then put a deposit down at that school. Then forfeit it if you get off the WL at GULC.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Mr. Papagiorgio wrote:ok, here's the dilemma.

i'm on the waitlist at georgetown, and i have a good feeling that I can get off w/ my additional recs and my LOCI.

georgetown is 12th, nova is 61st, and st. john's is 87th. do i want to shoot for the highest ranked school, or take the money at a lower ranked school? my idea is that i want to graduate with the least amount of debt possible, and i doubt that georgetown will give me any money....so i'm looking at potentially $60K a year, including living expenses....but the big firms recruit heavily there, and I can make incredible connections to further my legal career.

thoughts?

Are you are on the preferred waitlist or the regular waitlist at Georgetown?

Mr. Papagiorgio

Postby Mr. Papagiorgio » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 pm

jks289 wrote:

thoughts?

regular waitlist.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:17 pm

What is your question? What do you do now? Or what do you do if you get pulled off the WL at G-town?

The answer to the first is simple, you place deposits where you'd like to go and are accepted to hold your spot.

I think the answer to the second is more difficult, although with your options I think I'd cough up the $$ to go to G-town.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Put down a deposit at SJU and game the GULC waitlist. If you get accepted, go to GULC. Worth the debt in this particular economy IMO.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Well Villanova did pretty well on the NLJ 250 2009 chart.

I think that it would be worth more than St. Johns. But I'm not sure if its worth $63,000 more (over three years).

But I assume the COA would be cheaper, so it would probably be more around $49,000-$55,000 difference.

Georgetown would be a good option, but did you apply anywhere else?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Mr. Papagiorgio wrote:
jks289 wrote:

thoughts?

regular waitlist.

Pretty sure that is a soft rejection then.

Go to St Johns work your ass off.

If you get Gtown then we will talk.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Mr. Papagiorgio wrote:
jks289 wrote:

thoughts?

regular waitlist.

You aren't getting in off it unless you changed your LSAT substantially or have some other kind of insanely non-traditional application. If you want to know how I know this for a fact, PM me. At any rate, staying on the waitlist isn't going to hurt anything. Between the options you have, I honestly have no idea.

efs120

Postby efs120 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 am

Put the deposit in at St. John's and put GTown out of your head for the time being.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”