Graduating September 1st Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hotdoglaw

Bronze

Graduating September 1st

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Is there a problem with taking summer classes and graduating September 1st? I know lots of schools require a degree before the 1st day of law school. How does this work exactly?

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Re: Graduating September 1st

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:44 pm

?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Call the school and ask.

I looked into it, because I have thought about doing a summer abroad program during the summer for my UG, but some schools have different policies.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:14 pm

Most schools require a graduation transcript by the first day of 1L orientation or classes, which is usually in late August.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:15 am

I will be done classes in July but my graduation date is Aug. Schools that I looked at require you have earned a bachelor's degree before matriculating. You sure your school's graduation date is Sept?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 am

r6_philly wrote:I will be done classes in July but my graduation date is Aug. Schools that I looked at require you have earned a bachelor's degree before matriculating. You sure your school's graduation date is Sept?
Yes. 09/01

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 am

If you have the requirements for graduation as of this semester, then just graduate and take summer classes as a postgraduate.

If not, then just ask the school. I know someone who started law school in August but didn't finish his undergrad clases until the end of August.

I'm sure it's not terribly uncommon for an entering student to not finish his undergrad until the summer session.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 am

hsprophet wrote:If you have the requirements for graduation as of this semester, then just graduate and take summer classes as a postgraduate.
If not, then just ask the school. I know someone who started law school in August but didn't finish his undergrad clases until the end of August.

I'm sure it's not terribly uncommon for an entering student to not finish his undergrad until the summer session.
In my case, probably most, you lose financial aid and scholarships after your graduate with first degree.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:04 pm

I am actually taking 2 masters classes in summer II, but I am taking it as an undergraduate. I filled out a form to take 2 graduate courses for graduate credits. I think we award degrees after summer III but I will have to wait until that date to get a degree. I will get to walk with the May people but not get my degree until Aug.

If OP's school doesn't have a date that's later than May and earlier than 9/1, I would suggest go get a certification from the Registrar's office that he finished all the degree requirements but degree will not be awarded until 9/1. I think you can get that after all the last grades are posted. So if you finish work in Summer I but have to wait you can go get that certification in Aug. and send it to law schools. They can of course verify it with the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:17 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I will be done classes in July but my graduation date is Aug. Schools that I looked at require you have earned a bachelor's degree before matriculating. You sure your school's graduation date is Sept?
Yes. 09/01
In that case you're SOL at schools that start before that date.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:35 am

im_blue wrote:
hotdoglaw wrote:
Yes. 09/01
Not necessarily. Read my earlier post. I know someone who did it. He also didn't apply to law school until very late (like June). He wasn't sure if he would finish his undergrad that summer (as opposed to that fall semester), and once he found out (end of spring semester), he decided to go ahead and start law school for the fall. He finished his undergrad in 3 years + that last summer.

Like people say, it depends on the school. Just call them and ask.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:25 pm

hsprophet wrote:
Not necessarily. Read my earlier post. I know someone who did it. He also didn't apply to law school until very late (like June). He wasn't sure if he would finish his undergrad that summer (as opposed to that fall semester), and once he found out (end of spring semester), he decided to go ahead and start law school for the fall. He finished his undergrad in 3 years + that last summer.

Yes, but his diploma date is most likely in Aug., not in Sept like OP. Mine date is in Aug. too which is why I decided to apply this cycle because I finally crammed enough courses in to finish college in 2 years + this summer. But if my diploma date is in Sept. I doubt that I can start law school in the fall because they state you "must have received a bachelor's degree before the first day of law school".

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:26 pm

If you are going to be finished in July, I'm sure you can get the registrar to send a transcript and some kind of statement that the graduation requirements have been met. I don't think they actually want a copy of your diploma, they just want to know what you've graduated (or will in this case.)

Either way, just call the school.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 pm

hsprophet wrote:
im_blue wrote:
hotdoglaw wrote:
Yes. 09/01

Read my earlier post. Since most summer sessions end before law school classes start, this isn't usually a problem. Schools require a final transcript showing graduation and degree granted before the first day of classes, and in some cases even before 1L orientation. They enforce this rule rigidly since their law school or graduate degree rules require it.

But yes, call the school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”