How to "introduce" yourself without coming off as a tool?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: How to "introduce" yourself without coming off as a tool?

Postby autarkh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Borhas wrote:I don't want to get it into a long series of posts where I call you a tool or whatever other synonyms there are for "that guy". That wasn't my purpose. My purpose was to show you that there is a difference between a good person and someone that tries to appear good.

Your posts gives you the appearance of someone trying to appear good.

Instead of trying to appear good, just be good

Mostly I'm referring to the part about talking to the dean. If you have a legitimate reason to go talk to the dean, then by all means go ahead. But your post made it seem like you had no compelling reason other than getting some face time with an influential person. That is what gave you the appearance of being "That guy"

I'm not trying to appear good. I'm trying to do anything within my power to tip the scales in my favor, however slightly (and to get answers to legitimate questions). I want to go to this school. Interacting face-to-face with someone who is in a position to make decisions will give them a sense of me that can't be conveyed by words on a page. The same goes for my specific interest. Whether their impression is favorable or negative is up to them. My purpose is not to be deceptive, but to give them more of a different kind of information. I mentioned talking to the dean as part of question aimed at figuring out who I should talk to. My naive impression is that it would be inappropriate to bother a dean with anything that an underling could resolve. I merely wanted to see if others thought similarly, or if it was customary to meet with the dean--in which case, I would definitely do it.

Oh, and don't worry, this won't degenerate into name-calling. :mrgreen:

Re: How to "introduce" yourself without coming off as a tool?

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm

In my attempts to fight douchery I often end up engaging in it, ironic I know

anyway, it would be perfectly reasonable and socially appropriate to introduce yourself to the admissions department, making an appointment or asking to meet the dean would be inappropriate, but it would be a socially good thing to do to meet with the people who have read so much of your personal least for the sake of reciprocity.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”