NYU Financial Aid Bonanza Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sogui

Silver

Re: NYU Financial Aid Bonanza

Post by Sogui » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 pm

toolshed wrote:
NO. You are not a special and unique snowflake. Many, perhaps even most, potential law students have no income/assets (including their parents) that will assist in paying for school. Many, and perhaps most, finance their entire education exactly how you are going to have to, without the beneift of any merit/need aid. You don not need a cosigner, and you will be able to borrow up to the cost of attendance with no problems.
The fundamental flaw with my over-reaction to this was my misunderstanding about the nature of GRAD PLUS that I've explained.

If GRAD PLUS didn't exist, or required a co-signer, strong credit history, etc... I think my reaction would have been warranted.

Now that I understand that GRAD PLUS will be available to me up to cost of attendence, I am much more relieved and wouldn't have even made this post.
Desert Fox wrote:
You are pretty stupid for someone who got into NYU.
I misunderstood how GRAD PLUS works, that's the underlying issue here. I don't see how that makes me stupid when for 4 years I had only associated "PLUS" with "Parents" and "Not going to happen".
Last edited by Sogui on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:
toolshed wrote: NO. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
Excellent Fight Club reference.
*tips hat

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Who the fuck feels entitled to more than NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS FROM A TOP FIVE SCHOOL?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Kronk wrote:Who the fuck feels entitled to more than NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS FROM A TOP [strike]FIVE[/strike] SIX SCHOOL?
NYU curvebait is who.

AtticusFinch

New

Post by AtticusFinch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:55 pm

To be fair, outside of generalized talk about debt numbers and school-specific awards... nobody really gets into this stuff. I haven't heard a single person bring up GRAD PLUS here before today. That doesn't excuse my ignorance, but it helps explain it.

Try reading the financial aid section of the board index. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:55 pm

You don't have to have a co-signer. Think about it this way. This is YOUR debt, YOUR loans. So it's YOUR responsibility. A co-signer basically says, I will pay in case this kid (you) defaults on the loan. That, in a way, is passing off responsibility to your parents. So no one is entitled or is expected to have a co-signer.

The only advantage is maybe a .5% lower interest rate. That's it.

Again, since this is your money, you don't need mommy and daddy to sign off on it. Man up.

Sogui wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:
Sogui wrote:
toolshed wrote:You are going to NYU and will be 60k in private debt when you are done, and you are complaining? Moreover, you are surprised by this? Did you do any research into financing law school at all?

But only $20k over 3 years in Federal loans and no forms of need-based grants is also surprising. Basically this is my need/merit package, but it also encompasses ALL of the need part, which I found to be a little deceptive on NYU's part.
Dude, are you kidding? Law school leads to a professional job that will most likely pay you $160K out of NYU. If you go into PI, there's LRAP. It's expected for you to take on loans to finance it.

ONLY $20 over 3 years??? That's a ton of money.

And yes, pretty much EVERYONE has need. People graduating from college generally have $0, and a lot of people will not have their parents pay for law school.

You seem to spend a lot of time on TLS, yet seem to know nothing about financial aid. So bizarre

To be fair, outside of generalized talk about debt numbers and school-specific awards... nobody really gets into this stuff. I haven't heard a single person bring up GRAD PLUS here before today. That doesn't excuse my ignorance, but it helps explain it.

I know "poor college kid" is common for law students, though quite a few have also been making good $$$ for a few years before applying. It's the fact that I have NO co-signer/guarantor. I had a few incidents that were EXTREMELY frustrating during undergrad where I couldn't get any money for PLUS or College-Access Loans because I had NOBODY with enough credit to help me out.

Even this year I have to live frugally because I'm missing a few thousand dollars because of a CAL/PLUS loan that just had to be ignored.

Also, I know not everyone has rich parents to fund their law school... but at least they are there to co-sign loans and be a financial safety net.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Sogui wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I misunderstood how GRAD PLUS works, that's the underlying issue here. I don't see how that makes me stupid when for 4 years I had only associated "PLUS" with "Parents" and "Not going to happen".
You went hysterical without doing any research. Furthermore you applied to law school without any understanding of how you were going to pay for it.

Are you dumb enough to think most law students get 200,000 from their parents to go to law school?

Not understanding financial aid is one thing, but acting like a bitch about financing law school after months of time to learn about it, makes you pretty stupid for a NYU student.

I mean seriously, you applied for a 200,000 dollar program with no thought on how to pay for it?

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Kronk wrote:Who the fuck feels entitled to more than NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS FROM A TOP FIVE SCHOOL?
It has nothing to do with entitlement.

I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I've spent the last 4 years getting fucked by the financial aid system and taken on way more debt that I ever should have. Finding out that the combined assets of me and my mom couldn't even convince a bank to give us a $10k CAL/PLUS loan has made me VERY wary of what might happen in law school.

It just had to do with ignorance about the system, I'm not used to the extreme cost of attendance for law school... but the idea of law schools "building" private loans into their financial aid package completely frightened me. I thought that's exactly what they were doing until people explained GRAD PLUS.

AtticusFinch

New

Post by AtticusFinch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Who wants to tell him that $70,500. is the cost for last year, he needs to add another $4000. for 2010-2011 and every year afterwards. Maybe he can rant about NYU also deceiving him about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 pm

AtticusFinch wrote:Who wants to tell him that $70,500. is the cost for last year, he needs to add another $4000. for 2010-2011 and every year afterwards. Maybe he can rant about NYU also deceiving him about that.
I approve of this poast. Also, your tar is absurd.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sogui wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
You went hysterical without doing any research. Furthermore you applied to law school without any understanding of how you were going to pay for it.

Are you dumb enough to think most law students get 200,000 from their parents to go to law school?

Not understanding financial aid is one thing, but acting like a bitch about financing law school after months of time to learn about it, makes you pretty stupid for a NYU student.

I mean seriously, you applied for a 200,000 dollar program with no thought on how to pay for it?
If that is your idea of hysteria I invite to have lived my life. I ended the OP with a "confused" smiley. It was a forum post that was based in ignorance. Nearly every post in this forum could be answered with google, a phone call, or some due diligence.

My philosophy was that outside of merit and need aid... I would be paying the remainder of my education in Federal loans. Which is true, I just didn't realize the correct form (GRAD PLUS). So, (once again this is all grounded in ignorance on GRAD PLUS), seeing that my ONLY options were private loans and PLUS, I assumed that there was virtually no way for me to get the money I needed to attend.

It was a brash reaction, but it made sense at the time.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Relax, everyone. It's okay.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:07 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Relax, everyone. It's okay.
The internets is serious business.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Relax, everyone. It's okay.
Mass hysteria in the non-Yale-admit ranks.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Sogui wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Sogui wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

If that is your idea of hysteria I invite to have lived my life. I ended the OP with a "confused" smiley. It was a forum post that was based in ignorance. Nearly every post in this forum could be answered with google, a phone call, or some due diligence.

My philosophy was that outside of merit and need aid... I would be paying the remainder of my education in Federal loans. Which is true, I just didn't realize the correct form (GRAD PLUS). So, (once again this is all grounded in ignorance on GRAD PLUS), seeing that my ONLY options were private loans and PLUS, I assumed that there was virtually no way for me to get the money I needed to attend.

It was a brash reaction, but it made sense at the time.
Hard Knock life trolling.

Dude, you went to college in the United States. Your life is objectively better than 75% of people alive, and 99% of people who ever lived.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:09 pm

AtticusFinch wrote:Who wants to tell him that $70,500. is the cost for last year, he needs to add another $4000. for 2010-2011 and every year afterwards. Maybe he can rant about NYU also deceiving him about that.
COA goes up $4000 every year? That seems... fast.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
COA goes up $4000 every year? That seems... fast.
I think that's only the case ITE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:11 pm

toolshed wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:
*tips hat
While OP could've learned a thing or two, this guy seems to have learned to much (and too little of the first rule of fight club)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... cks_b.html

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Dude, you went to college in the United States. Your life is [strike]objectively[/strike] better than 75% of people alive, and 99% of people who ever lived.
Fixed and cosigned.
Thought of you when I posted that Bro.

OP it could be worse. My family literally owns land stolen from NR's tribe. And we motor boat on his lakes. And I don't even have the decency to shop at his tribes stores, except for tax free gasoline.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:14 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:
toolshed wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:
*tips hat
While OP could've learned a thing or two, this guy seems to have learned to much (and too little of the first rule of fight club)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... cks_b.html
I remember that. People who act out movie violence should be limited to what Private Pyle did in Full Metal Jacket.

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Check out the douchetastic pic of the guy that did it:

Brad Pitt in Fight Club he is not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:43 pm

I am so mad right now. I can't believe NYU had the audacity to do this to you. We should start an on-line petition. Who is in? :evil:

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:43 pm

Kronk wrote:Who the fuck feels entitled to more than NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS FROM A TOP FIVE SCHOOL?
blatant anti-Chicago trolling

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Interestingly enough, NYU's Dean supported the idea of t6 at the ASW. At one point he said something like "there are six law schools that everyone agrees are the top six... Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, Yale, Chicago (he mixed up the order something like this, probably intentionally) and after that, it's up in the air." So not even NYU supports t5.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:08 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Interestingly enough, NYU's Dean supported the idea of t6 at the ASW. At one point he said something like "there are six law schools that everyone agrees are the top six... Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, Yale, Chicago (he mixed up the order something like this, probably intentionally) and after that, it's up in the air." So not even NYU supports t5.
Well they wouldn't because they aren't even T7.

hth

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”